Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 08:23 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity... it is a cast iron stack, there is only a small chance of someone or something having dumped such material down it... have you tried putting a strong magnet taped to the bottom of a section of pipe or a tall water glass on a string and down to the clog? (A loose magnet would just stick to the pipe.) It might simply be years of accumulated spalled rust.

Since you now have caustic chemicals in the mix, you will need to be super careful with further cleanout attempts. Rubber gloves, eye protection, covering any area with plastic and newspaper or rags to blot, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
No; not really.

Where is this sediment exactly?

Old 11-18-2020, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No; not really.

Where is this sediment exactly?
Its right at the 90 degree in the basement, where the pipe goes up, its built up about 3-4ft thick (vertically)...if I cut a 3" hole right on the outside of the 90, all of it could be dug out easily.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just out of curiosity... it is a cast iron stack, there is only a small chance of someone or something having dumped such material down it... have you tried putting a strong magnet taped to the bottom of a section of pipe or a tall water glass on a string and down to the clog? (A loose magnet would just stick to the pipe.) It might simply be years of accumulated spalled rust.

Since you now have caustic chemicals in the mix, you will need to be super careful with further cleanout attempts. Rubber gloves, eye protection, covering any area with plastic and newspaper or rags to blot, etc.
It is a 4" old black cast iron pipe. As long as I have lived here, the exit stack on the roof has a screen on it, but this house was built in the 1950s, I have no idea when that screen was put on, or how all this crap built up in the pipes...its like a stinky, sandy mud,that is jet black in color.

Oh yes, if i cut a hole, Im going to have plastic everywhere, as well as wearing gloves and mask.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its right at the 90 degree in the basement, where the pipe goes up, its built up about 3-4ft thick (vertically)...if I cut a 3" hole right on the outside of the 90, all of it could be dug out easily.
“...cutting a hole...” is not a sound remedy. Yes, you will most likely be able to remove the sediment but the “plug” will most likely fail sooner rather than later.

How far is this obstruction from the clean out? There is a clean out in the basement, right? Have you by chance put a level on the section of pipe past the ell? I’m betting that the pipe supports have weakened over the years and the pipe has settled/fallen making the ell a low area- not enough fall to the clean out/out of the house.

If there is a clean out and it’s either too far or going in an outward direction this would be a good time to cut out the ell, remove the obstruction, reassess the fall of the pipe, and add a clean out.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
“...cutting a hole...” is not a sound remedy. Yes, you will most likely be able to remove the sediment but the “plug” will most likely fail sooner rather than later.

How far is this obstruction from the clean out? There is a clean out in the basement, right? Have you by chance put a level on the section of pipe past the ell? I’m betting that the pipe supports have weakened over the years and the pipe has settled/fallen making the ell a low area- not enough fall to the clean out/out of the house.

If there is a clean out and it’s either too far or going in an outward direction this would be a good time to cut out the ell, remove the obstruction, reassess the fall of the pipe, and add a clean out.
Yes, there is a large cleanout, but its right near the basement floor, Thanks for mentioning the level of the pipe, that is something I didnt even think about, I will definitely check that

Old 11-18-2020, 11:41 AM

Just to let you know-

Most insurance companies (h/o policies)today are not accepting claims that are the result of cast iron failures- so, keep this in mind when you realize that you’ll be replacing pipe.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Just to let you know-

Most insurance companies (h/o policies)today are not accepting claims that are the result of cast iron failures- so, keep this in mind when you realize that you’ll be replacing pipe.
Why would you file an insurance claim for what appears to be an end-of-life phenomenon in the drains of a 70 year old house?

Old 11-18-2020, 12:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Why would you file an insurance claim for what appears to be an end-of-life phenomenon in the drains of a 70 year old house?
I think he was suggesting that a hack-y repair to a cast iron pipe, should it fail later in a claim-worthy way, might not be covered.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:17 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
I climbed on the roof and stuck a 20 foot painter's pole down the stack vent. Once the pole reached and removed the clog, I used a garden hose to flush the vent. No issues 4 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House