Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 10:03 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times

Advertisements

I moved into a new house and unfortunately, there is no fenced in yard area. I have a golden retriever and I'd like to have a yard for him to run around in. Anyone have any experience with no dig fencing? Does it hold up? The soil is a pretty hard clay where I live and I only want to fence in a small area of the property (Approximately 0.15 acres).

Pros: much, much cheaper. Good reviews online.

Cons: sturdiness? height is only 4' but I wouldn't want to go much taller. My dog isn't a huge jumper. Also, I have several very large sugar maples and norway spruce trees on the property line (approximately 100+ years old and 75' tall easily) worried about the roots from this. Last con is this is an in-town location with old sewer lines and the town has no maps of sewer or water lines. Not even a curbside markout. I believe these stakes have to be driven 36" into the ground.

What I had in mind: https://wambamfence.com/product/pvc-...-fence-28.html

Anyone try this? How did it hold up and what was the cost vs having a professional install a fence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Have you considered an "Invisible Fence" and shock collar setup ?

Our Labs have always learned quickly where the limits are.

https://petlifetoday.com/best-wireless-dog-fences/

Old 11-27-2020, 07:14 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Have you considered an "Invisible Fence" and shock collar setup ?

Our Labs have always learned quickly where the limits are.

https://petlifetoday.com/best-wireless-dog-fences/
Of course this is just my personal opinion, but I find shock collars to be barbaric. Besides that, there is nothing it will do to prevent other dogs from coming into your yard.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:42 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Of course this is just my personal opinion, but I find shock collars to be barbaric. Besides that, there is nothing it will do to prevent other dogs from coming into your yard.
Another issue is that if your dog sees a squirrel or similar and decides to chase, he can bolt through the "fence". After the chase is over, and he is walking back, the shock may prevent him from coming back into your yard.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:45 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Do you KNOW he's a digger?

Because not all dogs live to escape. I've had many many dogs in life, and none have ever dug under our fence to get out.

If one did... a single electric wire just inside the fence might deter them. We have this around most of our fence, about 6-8 inches high.... not for the dogs, but for the goats and wildlife I like to deter. It also works for the dogs.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Another issue is that if your dog sees a squirrel or similar and decides to chase, he can bolt through the "fence". After the chase is over, and he is walking back, the shock may prevent him from coming back into your yard.

^ both of these. I'm not a fan of electric fences. There seems to be a lot of squirrels around here and he will definitely chase them. I definitely want a physical barrier, also for my own privacy and safety- the fence will also enclose my backdoor and I'd like an extra barrier back there.

Specifically, I am curious if anyone has installed no dig fencing and their opinions on it (durability, leaning over, wind, ease of install, etc). Thanks

Old 11-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Do you KNOW he's a digger?

Because not all dogs live to escape. I've had many many dogs in life, and none have ever dug under our fence to get out.

If one did... a single electric wire just inside the fence might deter them. We have this around most of our fence, about 6-8 inches high.... not for the dogs, but for the goats and wildlife I like to deter. It also works for the dogs.

Not worried about digging, but a single electric wire definitely won't work. I don't have a fence either.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Not worried about digging, but a single electric wire definitely won't work. I don't have a fence either.

I know you don't have a fence. That's what the thread is about. So build one... in whatever style and budget you can... to fit in with your home and your budget.

My point is, you may not have to focus on making it dig-proof (which will add considerably to the materials and cost needed) unless you KNOW digging is a major concern. I would start with just a nice fence.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

Why will it "definitely not work"? I keep horses, goats, chickens, two corgis and a 150 pound livestock guardian dog inside a wire mesh fence with a single electric wire - OK two wires, one on top, and one near the bottom.

I initially said just one near the bottom because you seemed focused on digging, not climbing or jumping. Was trying to keep it simple!

Old 11-27-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why will it "definitely not work"? I keep horses, goats, chickens, two corgis and a 150 pound livestock guardian dog inside a wire mesh fence with a single electric wire - OK two wires, one on top, and one near the bottom.

I initially said just one near the bottom because you seemed focused on digging, not climbing or jumping. Was trying to keep it simple!

Oh, I didn't mention digging at all. Someone else did. By "no dig" I mean you don't have to dig for fence posts

Also not sure if that style of fence would work around here. I just moved in so I'm not super familiar with the area, but 90% of the houses here have low vinyl fences (like the style I posted) and 10% have wooden fences but very low and no wire mesh. Its an in-town location and while its fairly rural, no one here had any livestock (a few chickens but that's about it). Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House