U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 32,114 times

Advertisements

Oh my... any ideas on how to retrieve a 2.5 inch frisbie disk from the toilet or drain? Only the upstairs toilet is clogged, so I'm hoping that it hasn't reached the main plumbing yet ????? It is only partly cutting off the flow of flushed water, etc.
Is there a special tool for fishing items out of the drain? I'm hoping for a plumbing style "grabber". I'm not even sure where the frisbie might be lodged... Oh how I will appreciate suggestions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Location: Santa saw your Facebook pictures. Youre getting clothes and a Bible for Christmas.
1,838 posts, read 3,716,447 times
BTDT. I feel for you. Several months ago I spent all day one Saturday trying to unstop mine. The guys will probably have better solutions but this is my tale of woe.

I knocked a small jar of one of my face potions in just as it flushed. I tried everything plunger, snake, you name it.. Finally I gave up and snatched it loose and took it out in the yard. I tried stuffing a garden hose both ways , snaking it both ways, plunging it both ways. Nothing worked. Just as I was about to exhaust my vocabulary of unladylike words and hit it with my little sledge hammer and go buy a new one I found something that worked. I stuffed the opening with plastic bags and turned it upside down. I added some water then used the plunger. The bags held the water long enuf for the plunger to get some suction. Worked like a charm. The water forced the bags loose and rushed out taking my potion with it.

This is what I learned the hard way. Evidently toilets are shaped like a long snaky funnel on purpose to keep stuff from passing into the main drain.

Oh and its really not hard to reseat a toilet. If I can do it you can do it.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,875,187 times
Turn off the water valve next to/behind the toilet.Unscrew the toilet base from the floor. Tilt the toilet, retreive the toy. Drive to the hardware store, buy a new wax ring. Drive home, put it on. Clean up the mess. Turn the water back on. Kill your children.

Toys won't usually go any further than that, and it is usually just this easy to fix. As far as putting the new wax ring on, if the box doesn't have instructions, ask someone at the hardware store (a small one like ACE will have a better chance that someone knows what they're doing than a big chain.)

Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 32,114 times
Smile Thank you-Thank you!

I am so impressed by the courage you two have shown in the face of disaster! Wow - thanks for these clear instructions AND giving me hope that I can solve this!!!! I'll give it a try tomorrow morn!
Meta

Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,159,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Turn off the water valve next to/behind the toilet.Unscrew the toilet base from the floor. Tilt the toilet, retreive the toy. Drive to the hardware store, buy a new wax ring. Drive home, put it on. Clean up the mess. Turn the water back on. Kill your children.

Toys won't usually go any further than that, and it is usually just this easy to fix. As far as putting the new wax ring on, if the box doesn't have instructions, ask someone at the hardware store (a small one like ACE will have a better chance that someone knows what they're doing than a big chain.)
I had to do that a few months. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can do it!!!

But you should lay on old towel over the hole where the toilet goes while you are gone. There are smells that will creep in if you don't.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Location: Santa saw your Facebook pictures. Youre getting clothes and a Bible for Christmas.
1,838 posts, read 3,716,447 times
I forgot one of the tricks I tried on mine. Didnt work for me but maybe your toy isnt stuck as bad as my potion. Didnt have time to post this AM . Sorry.

Turn off the water. Then take a wet/dry vac and suck all the water out of the toilet. If whatever fell in isnt stuck it will sometimes come out with the water. Worth a try.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,676 times
Thankyou!! My after Christmas miracle...worked like a charm and got the thing ( a comb) out after my husband had given up! He's calling me his hero!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM

7,153 posts, read 5,255,762 times
Glad the wet/dry trick worked for ya. I use one myself quite frequently. Fo good measure though, go to ye ol' hardware stoe and tell them you want a closet auger. It's a short snake with a ridgid center and a curve at the bottom for guiding the head into the s trap with a crank handle on top. It's specially made for reteieving offending items out of toilets. They work great and cost about ten bucks. Good gizmo to have around. Can save you having to call a plumber for a stuck tight matchbox car or something.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM

228 posts, read 696,251 times
The wet vac works great but if its stuck this closet auger will do the trick:

Old 10-02-2010, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,960 times
my son stuck a matchbox car in our toilet and we bought the auger and its not getting the car out my husband has been working on it for a few days and its still clogged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House