U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 01:09 PM

33,205 posts, read 52,498,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
This morning I noticed that all the cans In my LG fridge were covered in condensation (like sweat). And They're not cold--I keep the fridge on "5" so things are usually very cold. And I don't hear it running. I tried something I read to press The "ice plus" & the refrigerator button. Now the 2 sets of lights for the fridge, & freezer, showing the cooling settings, from 1 thru 6, are just constantly flashing between the #'s several times a minute.

I can't pull the refrigerator out from the wall to unplug it & plug it in again (if that would even work). There's an OK appliance repair guy I could probably call that charges $85 for the first 15 minutes & to show up. Last time he came for my POS "HF" Samsung washer & said it wasn't worth it to fix.

I could probably order a new refrigerator in the time it'd take "repair guy" to get here. And of, course, I have a freezer full of great frozen food in the summer. My current LG is 19.7 cu. feet & it's really "fitted" into the cabinets. It's 29.8" w x 32.2" d x 68.4" h. It has French doors, & a bottom freezer, which I really like.

But I don't want to pay 2K or 3K for a new one. I'm thinking something from Lowe's or Home Depot. I could probably live with a top freezer & conventional door to save $$. Any suggestions, as to brand, or anything else? Also, I'm thinking of going with stainless, even tho the current appliances are black.

TIA
Maybe some suggested this but unplug the unit, reset the breaker the outlet is connected to, wait for 10 min or so and then plug the fridge in again and see if it starts up
Might be worth a service call if it doesn’t just to see what problem is
Prices on fridges have gone up a lot since a year or so because parts are slower to,come and people bought them to keep extra food and reduce shopping

I had a fridge that lasted over 18 yrs
All have lasted at least 12-13
So think checking is worth service call
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 06:23 PM

21,239 posts, read 13,689,921 times
They used to last for 50 years.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:17 AM

596 posts, read 786,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Exactly what I'd say. Unplug and plug back in, see if it goes on. Could also be that the back of the freezer is iced. It may need to be unplugged and thawed a day. Happens to mine. The fan that blows the cold air to the fridge gets frozen.

Suggestion to the OP, if you have an ice maker, I hope you dumped the ice in a cooler before it thawed to water.

We have been looking but we need specifics so have not bought. Have a 2nd fridge so it's been working for us. The freezer works on the old one, just not the fridge side. The sealed system in ours is shot.

OP should try calling other repair places. Find a local Facebook group to ask who everyone else uses.

Good luck finding a new one with the shortage. It gets harder every day.

Buy that small fridge if it's in stock. That will do the trick, just in case you can't find a regular sized one.

Also, google the brand and model number with the specific problem. Is the whole thing not cold or just the fridge like mine? You should see the fix online with part number. You then buy the part, find a you tube video of the install. It's what we do. My dryer stopped getting hot again. Happened in November too. Probably the same part keep blowing for some reason. My hub and son will take it apart over the weekend. My hub was gonna have son do it on his 3 days off but son got his 2nd COVID vaccine, was down Monday.
I've googled everything I could find with this thing. And (again) I've turned off the breaker to the fridge & turned it back on--I guess I could try turning it off for a day. And yes, the "the whole thing is not cold". I went out & bought 20 lbs. of ice today. Packed it into 3 coolers, 2 small, 1 large. Didn't nearly hold all of the cold or frozen food. TRYING to eat it up, but now with 90 degree heat, I'm not so hungry.

I did order that tiny 1.1 cu. ft. freezer--maybe, somehow I can get by with that & the coolers for awhile. As far as "calling other repair places", really, for a 13 y.o. LG? I don't want to pour any $$ into this thing, & I think it's a bad bet to do that.

I know a lot of people here seem to think it's "my fault" that I can't fix the aging LG myself, OK, fine. I'm starting to hate the big, ugly, hulking thing almost as much as I hated the failed Samsung washer. (For which I did call a repair guy who charged me $85 to tell me it would cost more to fix than it was worth--about $500).

I'm Looking at a 2.6 cu. ft. mini-fridge on HD (to use along with the mini-freezer), $147.

https://wwwchomedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...5SE1/203532986

Last edited by WoodyWW; 08-12-2021 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2021, 11:32 AM

12,343 posts, read 6,749,552 times
Good call going with the mini-fridge and mini-freezer. Works for me! I love when "House Hunters International" buyers look under the counter and ask, "That's the refrigerator?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House