U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 12:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 973,293 times

Advertisements

Our Subzero fridge/freezers are great. They really do a better job keeping food fresh than what we've had before. We have 3 (2 full size and one set of drawers) in our kitchen (me+4 boys/men). No need for repairs in 5 years.

Miele...LOVE my dishwashers. I have 2 of them. Again, no need for repair in 5 years. Also love my built in Miele coffee maker.

Miele Combi oven ( https://www.mieleusa.com/e/30-inch-s...eel-10486340-p )...lots of problems with the door latch which makes the microwave portion out of order (can still use it as an oven). Not my favorite purchase. Expensive repairs, long wait for parts. It's a known common issue, but was fairly new when we purchased.

I prefer gas ranges and dual electric ovens. We had Dacor in our last house and I wasn't overly impressed by the ovens, but the range was good. No repairs, I just wasn't impressed with the ovens. This house, we went for a certain aesthetic and have a LaCanche range we ordered from France. I love everything about it, but it was expensive. Beautiful and I love the way it cooks.

For more midrange stuff, we've had pretty good luck with Kitchen Aid. We have an icemaker and a set of refrigerator drawers in our basement that work well, always filled with drinks mostly and my husband has one built in in his home office that is also perfect. The Sharp Microwave drawer in our basement is also great, even if we mostly use it for popcorn and during the yearly breakdown of the Miele.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 12:52 PM
KCZ

3,260 posts, read 2,000,189 times
I have an induction range and I'd never go back to gas. Induction is faster, more energy efficient, emits less heat into the kitchen, and easier to clean than a gas range. I've been very happy with my Electrolux. The only downside is you can only use pans that a magnet will stick to so you may have to give up some of your old ones. Cooktop vs range is frequently determined by whether you want/need double wall ovens too.

Don't forget about your range hood. It doesn't need to be a trendy commercial behemoth but it should be vented so that it's able to evacuate smoke, steam, and cooking odors.

Fridge choice is very dependent on where and how you want your ice. I live by myself and rarely use a lot of ice at one time, so I have an LG with a small ice maker in the French doors. Plenty of ice for me, it doesn't use up a lot of space in the fridge, and no bending to retrieve ice from a bottom drawer every time I want 3 ice cubes for a drink. I've also been happy with KA/Amana/Maytag (all owned by Whirlpool) in the past. My opinion is that side-by-side models waste a lot of space, and who wants a vegetable drawer at ankle level, but I know some people like them.

Two big factors in selecting a DW is how much noise can you tolerate, and where do you want your silverware? An open floor plan begs for a quiet DW...a separate kitchen not so much. Most manufacturers used to offer a top tray for silverware, now some of them have retreated to a "utensil tray" for ladles, measuring cups, and the like. I had a whole series of very good KA's in previous homes, switched to Miele the last time I moved and got a lemon, replaced with Bosch and got another lemon. After 2 years of fighting with Miele and Bosch's horrible customer service and washing dishes by hand, I finally bought an LG which I'm happy to say works well. I considered another KA but they had given up top silverware trays at that point which was a deal breaker for me.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:11 PM

24,145 posts, read 15,898,285 times
fwiw, my teen son loves the water in the door feature. Esp. when he was younger, he would not have been comfortable pouring water from a Brita pitcher into a glass but he was fine filling one up from the fridge. He definitely drank more water this way - and I didn't need to be the one to get it for him. We are in Colorado, so especially important to stay hydrated.

I also recommend having a separate externally vented hood over the range/cooktop, rather than a microwave. If you have space, a cooktop and then separate wall mounted ovens is definitely the way to go, but it depends on your space and layout.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:38 PM

13,699 posts, read 11,588,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I have an induction range and I'd never go back to gas. Induction is faster, more energy efficient, emits less heat into the kitchen, and easier to clean than a gas range. I've been very happy with my Electrolux. The only downside is you can only use pans that a magnet will stick to so you may have to give up some of your old ones. Cooktop vs range is frequently determined by whether you want/need double wall ovens too.

Don't forget about your range hood. It doesn't need to be a trendy commercial behemoth but it should be vented so that it's able to evacuate smoke, steam, and cooking odors.

Fridge choice is very dependent on where and how you want your ice. I live by myself and rarely use a lot of ice at one time, so I have an LG with a small ice maker in the French doors. Plenty of ice for me, it doesn't use up a lot of space in the fridge, and no bending to retrieve ice from a bottom drawer every time I want 3 ice cubes for a drink. I've also been happy with KA/Amana/Maytag (all owned by Whirlpool) in the past. My opinion is that side-by-side models waste a lot of space, and who wants a vegetable drawer at ankle level, but I know some people like them.

Two big factors in selecting a DW is how much noise can you tolerate, and where do you want your silverware? An open floor plan begs for a quiet DW...a separate kitchen not so much. Most manufacturers used to offer a top tray for silverware, now some of them have retreated to a "utensil tray" for ladles, measuring cups, and the like. I had a whole series of very good KA's in previous homes, switched to Miele the last time I moved and got a lemon, replaced with Bosch and got another lemon. After 2 years of fighting with Miele and Bosch's horrible customer service and washing dishes by hand, I finally bought an LG which I'm happy to say works well. I considered another KA but they had given up top silverware trays at that point which was a deal breaker for me.
In an induction stove, is the oven traditional electric heating elements? Does it use the same plug as a regular electric stove?

Old 08-29-2021, 03:27 PM

29,612 posts, read 20,384,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I would recommend a refrigerator without in door water and ice dispensers. These are the most frequent causes of repair services. Think about it - if you have a French door refrigerator, the ice maker is actually in the refrigerator section, not the freezer. Does that make sense?

Keep the ice maker in the freezer and get a "Brita" type water pitcher for the refrigerator. Cheaper and easier.
This is what we did. I like the smooth look of the doors unbroken by ugly dispensers,

Right now, you might find getting appliances hard. Check around some local retailers for good information about availabilities.

It does not matter what kind of service is available to me; what matters is the availability of service to you, in your area. So, do due diligence before buying.

We changed kitchen appliances about 3 years ago. We bought LG fridge, built in oven, and microwave. We bought Bosch dishwasher. We had already replaced our cooktop with a Bosch induction unit. So far, so good.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:25 PM

10,876 posts, read 21,505,705 times
I suspect what will be best for your house will be determined by a lot of different factors such as what's available and the cost of various utilities in your area. In our area, electricity is too high for folks to use it to heat things so most stoves/ovens are gas. Which in our area is propane since there's no natural gas in Hawaii. However, in your area, it's probably different.

We get a 24 cubic feet or less, freezer on top, ice maker in the freezer refrigerator because of the cost of operating it. Oh, Energy Star, but manufacturer doesn't really matter to us. Maybe it will matter to you.

One of our rental houses has a split range top and wall oven. Finding replacement ovens to fit where that one was is hard, replacing the stove top is also somewhat problematical, although, possibly in your area there is more selection in appliances. For using it, I don't find the wall ovens to be any easier than the range ovens, but YMMV.

Microwaves come and go, we pay no attention to manufacturer. We'd not ever get the ones that attach to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets, though, since that's lifting hot items too high. We do have a small rack that the microwave sits on to bring the door up about 3" off the counter top. That way, we're able to open the door with a plate of food in front of it.

Dishwashers, can't help you there, we don't have one or will install one due to energy costs around here.

What brands are common in your area? Are there folks who can repair them nearby?

Old 08-29-2021, 05:59 PM

17,698 posts, read 11,063,733 times
I, too, love my induction cooktop. Would never have another kind of cooking. We moved after having one 10 years, and the first thing we did was run the electricity to install induction cooktop and convections oven. Money well spent. Will never have dirty stinky gas again. After using just wipe it off with dish cloth and dry. You have to have metal pans, but no need for long handles as they don’t get hot. You can cook a large pot of pasta and drain without using pot holders. If cooking something messy I just put paper towels on the cooktop and toss. No need to cleanse stovetop.

We have ice and water through the door frig. Never had a problem in 7 years. I like that the filter removes all the erectile dysfunction, hormones and mood altering drugs from the water. I use the water for coffee and cooking, too.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:25 PM

16,300 posts, read 34,988,118 times
Well we just gutted and redid our entire kitchen. While I love it and think it is very nice, most of my appliances are somewhat "budget" types compared to many here. I have a GE smoothtop electric double oven range; however I also have an induction double burner hotplate that I use for stove top cooking. This is the best of both worlds for me, as I absolutely LOVE the double ovens, and there is almost nothing I can't cook on the hot plate.

Our fridge is Whirlpool. Appliances are in short supply and the French Door Whirpool was just not available so we got the single door (not French door) with bottom freezer and we love it. It does have an icemaker in the freezer but no indoor water dispenser which I hate and did not want.

Got a GE dishwasher and love, love, love it! Best I ever had, even better than the expensive Thermador. It has the silverware tray on top and then two other racks that give you room for anything. It is quiet and washes well. There is just two of us but I use it almost every day!

Old 08-29-2021, 06:41 PM

4,662 posts, read 2,040,844 times
Double oven…
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen appliances-83fd5a77-1b7e-478d-8e8c-ec1ada5a969f.jpeg  

Old 08-29-2021, 11:04 PM

10,702 posts, read 6,038,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Double oven…
Why? Certainly that is much more capacity that even a large family would need regularly. What kind of cooking do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House