Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 04:13 AM

17,299 posts, read 11,156,828 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both and now live in an old Victorian about 140 years old. I love the floor plan and having separate rooms with 10 ft ceilings, large bay windows, and having a galley kitchen. When I want the rooms to be more open, I open up the large pocket doors. The design is brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 05:33 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,058,562 times
I have a prairie design home. I love the tall ceilings, loads of windows, there is so much light, interior courtyard, porches on back of house. Yes a wood burning fireplace and no TV above it, it’s not an open floor plan but with arches you can see dining room from the kitchen. I love this home it feels bright and airy but cozy all at the same time. The kitchen is huge so people can gather and talk if they want too. It gives us plenty of room to bake around the holidays.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:53 AM

26,644 posts, read 26,579,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I absolutely HATE the open floor plan too, with visitors looking at the pots, pans, and dirty dishes staring them in the face. Connect the living and dining areas, sure. But keep the kitchen separate and unseen from the main living area.
That's also my biggest complaint about open floor plans.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:52 AM

11,235 posts, read 19,437,920 times
My house is 111 years old and has an "open plan". I can stand in my kitchen and see all the way through kitchen-dining room-living room, I can even see the front wall of the front bedroom. I hung a painting there I like to look at.

When in the living room you cannot see the business end of the kitchen. Plus, the living room furniture faces the big bright windows.

But I have walls too. The ceilings are very low.

I love my old house with wavy floors and crooked walls! But an open-plan was a must, when I was house hunting.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:15 AM

8,961 posts, read 5,989,769 times
Not all open floor plans are bright and cheery. Full steam for back to the past. Everything old is new again!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 8,899,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
OMGosh, I lived 30yrs with low ceilings, small dark rooms. I wouldn't take a house like that for free.
Come! Come into the light!

Bookcases, OMG no! They collect clutter, mess, and dust. The antithesis of low maintenance.

Televisions. What century do you live in? Who does televisions?
Millennials ditching their TV sets at a record rate:
https://nypost.com/2015/02/16/millen...a-record-rate/

PS: The ladder is the wrong equipment for dusting
I would take the first image of the beamed ceiling and wood over the second any day. The first is homey and comfortable. The second sterile and lifeless.

We had an open plan for our first home. Like everyone else we listened to the "experts" in magazines and TV. Reality was the open plan meant the kitchen noise, smells, and clutter were always on display. There was no separation between activities; everything was always front and center. It looked open and spacious in pictures, but lived small.

One of my favorite design books is The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka. Architect and designer who dives into the whys and why nots of open design vs individual rooms. One of her points is open design sells because it looks good and you see a lot of it in glamor shots in magazines and houses. But unless really well done it doesn't always live as well as it looks. For many of the reasons here and in the OP and more.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:48 AM

17,507 posts, read 17,428,424 times
I like a clear divide in my rooms. Doesn’t have to be whole walls. For example in our current and previous home a snack bar/counter made the divide. In our current home there’s a very wide opening that separates the living room from the dinning room. It’s still open but offers enough side wall to create a sort of doorway to divide the space. As for high ceilings, no thanks. If I can’t touch the ceiling with a 6 foot ladder than I don’t want it.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:07 AM

765 posts, read 614,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I like a clear divide in my rooms. Doesn’t have to be whole walls. For example in our current and previous home a snack bar/counter made the divide. In our current home there’s a very wide opening that separates the living room from the dinning room. It’s still open but offers enough side wall to create a sort of doorway to divide the space. As for high ceilings, no thanks. If I can’t touch the ceiling with a 6 foot ladder than I don’t want it.
Those dividers are helpful! Even if it's not a whole wall, it's nice to have some kind of demarcation.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:32 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,123,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
YOU only need 1 TV. How silly to think you know what other people need.
I don't think that poster was trying to tell people how many TVs they should have. I think the point is that if you have a wide open floor plan in the living space then you only need 1 TV for that space since you can see it from everywhere. For instance, I can see my TV from my foyer, office nook, living room, dining room and kitchen, since it's all one big open space. Putting another TV there would just be competing sound. We still have 4 TVs in the house, though--1 in the open living room and 1 in each bedroom.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:50 AM

464 posts, read 395,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree that most open plans are awful, but I've seen some that are set up to be more practical than others. One thing is the fireplace....if you have limited walls then maybe loose the fireplace unless you use it for heating they are mostly decorative and impractical. Maybe a high window + a door instead of a wall of windows/sliders. Half walls can work wonders as well. You can do open without having everything open in one giant space, but builders don't design for practicality, they design for profit and stick every trendy thing they can wherever they can to make it seem 'upscale'. It's usually cheap looking as a result IMO. Sometimes when it's real open the kitchen defines the entire house because it's exposed on multiple sides and surrounded by the counter/stools and whatever space is left over isn't furniture friendly.

I've lived in 50's, 60's, and 70's houses only and they managed to have walls and a good flow at the same time. Not everyone who designes houses should.
Forgot about the "wall of windows" - another peeve. If it ain't to capture a mountain view or similar, just don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House