Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:24 PM

17,415 posts, read 65,584,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Pella wants $800 to install one window on the ground floor. Should take them about an hour. $800 an hour sounds like a lot of money. But that's what "their installer" wants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Get self-cleaning glass.
You will be happy years from now.

Most be why they’re $800 to install- they come with cleaners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 09:43 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,667,314 times
I had the option of hurricane glass when I had a home built in Florida, I passed due to the extra cost. After my house was done, I was in a house that had hurricane windows and the noise reduction was substantial. I can't recommend a brand, but some research should show what's available in your area. Get quotes from three companies if you can and compare the products in person, i.e. see what they look like and get a salesperson to talk about the construction. It's a substantial investment, but worth it if you will be in the home for a long period of time.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:23 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,575,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
...they come with cleaners!
Nope.
Your knowledge is incomplete.
https://my.pilkington.com/en/residen...cleaning-glass
https://uk.saint-gobain-building-gla...s-saint-gobain

Old 09-29-2021, 04:55 PM

17,466 posts, read 38,864,396 times
We recently replaced our old "Miami" windows (crank out awnings) with new double pane vinyl. A few are casements, most are double hung or big sliders, one picture window. The sound reduction is substantial, as are the energy savings. We are pleased because we are on a very busy road, traffic is non-stop. I don't recall the brand, they are not Pella or a recognizable name. However they are excellent quality and are not cheap. DON'T skimp on your windows! You will be sorry. You get what you pay for. We have zero regrets. They look great, too.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:52 AM

127,937 posts, read 11,801,010 times
If you are very sensitive to noise, I think you should probably move to a quieter location. You could spend thousands of dollars on window upgrades & still hear noise if you are very sensitive to it.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,003,092 times
We installed STC rated windows a couple of decades ago. They really worked well. It is important to try to select the best STC number available. It will cost more. The company we bought from is no longer in business. Be careful not to believe the sales people of they try and sell you regular windows, saying it will reduce sound. You want ones that are STC rated. There are scientific reasons that the sound is reduced. Glass thickness, glass type, space between the panes etc all matter.

We also put rock wool insulation and fire rated wall board in the attic as it seemed some of the noise was coming through the roof. At the time I read those would help and they did.

For the last couple of decades we have enjoyed near silence at all times in the bedroom. Very seldom we hear noise from the outside like a plane going over. On the fourth of July that is where we take the dogs. You can hear the fireworks but it is greatly muted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House