Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 03:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times

Advertisements

Given that everything house related, furniture, appliances, lumber and major systems like HVAC are increasing in price and in short supply I personally wouldn't wait until next summer.

Wait until next summer and you could be waiting weeks or months for the new unit will you need soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 03:57 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Given that everything house related, furniture, appliances, lumber and major systems like HVAC are increasing in price and in short supply I personally wouldn't wait until next summer.

Wait until next summer and you could be waiting weeks or months for the new unit will you need soon enough.
That's a good point.
I am planning to start working on it in Feb-Mar.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:59 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Ah, yes, the old "let's make some phosgene by heating Freon trick, so we can have the WWI trench gassing experience"
Tried it first hand ….lol. Nothing like experience

Old 10-28-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
To answer your question, yes IF it is a small leak, you could probably just fill it without repairing the leak. For a small leak, you might get a season out of it before it needs to be filled again. Neighbor filled his leaking system and got like 10 months out of it the first time, and then refilled again and only got 2 months. Problem is, without identifying or fixing the leak you never really know how long you might get.

Thanks.
That's going to be the best case short term.
Hopefully I will be able to identify the leak, not only to add more refrigerant.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You can visually look for oily spots on tubing , fittings and components , or if one knows how they can inject a dye in the system which leaves a stain ..but the best way is with an electronic leak detector tool.
That's interesting.
If I could detect and fix the leak myself then I need contractor only to add refrigerant. But these tubes are mostly concealed somewhere inside the wall and in the attic. Not so easy to detect the leak.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
That's interesting.
If I could detect and fix the leak myself then I need contractor only to add refrigerant. But these tubes are mostly concealed somewhere inside the wall and in the attic. Not so easy to detect the leak.
There could be a reason the leak developed; soon you will be fixing another leak.

Look into a new more efficient equipment first, price it out.

Depending how big is your house you may even consider installing equipment yourself: MR Cool mini-split is designed for DIYer.
Mr Cool s not the most efficient, ( bet it is better than what you have now though) but it seems solidly built and you don’t need any fancy HVAC tools.

You could even do your own Manual J calculations- it is tedious, but not that complicated- that is why the HVAC guys suppose to do it - to size the equipment right, but they don’t do it and just oversize your equipment- and you end up with high bills and uncomfortable home while your oversized A/C cycles on and off too much wearing itself out
Even your current system is oversized most likely.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
If you you're going to replace in a year, get an HVAC guy to recharge and add leak sealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6A2f0t8-XM

Old 10-28-2021, 07:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

Or right now could be the peak supply line issues and next summer will be back to normal.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you you're going to replace in a year, get an HVAC guy to recharge and add leak sealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6A2f0t8-XM
Thank you! This is awesome!

Old 10-29-2021, 03:44 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
That's interesting.
Not as easy as you think …in order to fix the leak you must depressurize the system or it can blow away your solder or epoxy .

Once you do that you risk air and moisture getting in the system so usually you want to pull a vacuum on the System with a pump ….then after evacuating the system you refill it once the vacuum holds and shows no leaks …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House