Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 02:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,630 times

Advertisements

I'm not only going to paint my floor, I'm going to stencil it

If it needs covering up, whoever sells the house can do it and it will be fresh and clean. Until that time, its my house and I will do whatever suits ME.

I think new carpet smell speaks "we had to cover something up"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 03:13 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I'm not only going to paint my floor, I'm going to stencil it

If it needs covering up, whoever sells the house can do it and it will be fresh and clean. Until that time, its my house and I will do whatever suits ME.

I think new carpet smell speaks "we had to cover something up"
Well, my upstairs MBR just had very nice new Berber carpet installed which will probably smell that way for years. I don't go up there and the cats have not been allowed upstairs since the carpet went in. The only thing it "covered up" was the existing subfloor, but it did replace the ugly brown carpet that was there when I bought the house. I would have done LVP but the extension for the MBR created a slight bump that prevented it. Thank heavens my downstairs flooring is gorgeous original oak.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:54 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
When I have to sell my house and move, I won't consider a place that painted the subfloor.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
If I'm a buyer walking into a home that is for sale and I see exposed subfloors, I can promise you, it will cost you a lot more than it would have to have some cheap new carpet installed before I got there. If the first impression I get from your home as a buyer is one that has issues, appears to be neglected, or cheap DIY patchwork repairs along the way - my offer will be minus 300% of the actual cost to fix the issues. Why? because my time is worth money too, and nobody but an investor is going to want buy a home that appears unfinished like that.

paint the subfloors in Killz, and put down some new cheap carpet and then list it. At least that way, the first impression is one of the new carpet smell, which speaks "cozy and comfy" to a potential new buyer.
I don't think you've ever seen painted sub-floors.

They can look awesome and you wouldn't even really realize it's a sub-floor. This house is a fixer, and if presented clean, it can have a positive psychological effect. Since it's a fixer, no one is going to be judging a painted sub-floor.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:48 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I don't think you've ever seen painted sub-floors.

They can look awesome and you wouldn't even really realize it's a sub-floor. This house is a fixer, and if presented clean, it can have a positive psychological effect. Since it's a fixer, no one is going to be judging a painted sub-floor.
My house isn't a "fixer". It was appraised at over $200k a few years ago, and I owe about $95k on the mortgage.

It needs some work, but really I believe I could throw it on the market tomorrow for $200k and sell it.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:24 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

It needs some work, but really I believe I could throw it on the market tomorrow for $200k and sell it.
In this market, probably within an hour.

Do not paint and cover cat pee. It is in the wood forever, and will stink forever, and if you doubt me--stick your nose on that floor and take a big wiff. Plywood is cheap. Take out the cat peed sections and replace. Anybody else who gets a cat, that cat will think that floor is a litter box, they will smell if even if the new owners never stick their nose on the floor.
There is no removing cat pee ever. I know, I've owned several cats, two had pee issues. Wood must be replaced.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:24 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Heck, you might even paint the bare roof plywood to look like shingles. Why bother with the real thing?
A roof without "the real thing" will leak at the seams between the plywood sheets. Don't spread bad ideas, even if being sarcastic.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:00 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
I just got off the phone with my cous. I asked him about the splinter concern, and he reminded me that we bought some wood putty for cracks and crevices. Also that extra layers of paint make a surface even harder.

He and I found this local place here in the Twin Cities where people donate their used household products. We went in there and scored tons of free paint. We basically got an endless supply of free paint going forward. Can't believe how spendy paint is these days but I'm sure if those of you look you can also find local places in your vicinity that have similar places.

This thread has given me some good ideas. Both good and bad. Thanks for all the replies. I'm still kind of standoffish on painting it, but leaning towards I might paint it and just see what it looks like since basically I will be getting free paint. If it looks like hell, I might then proceed with some cheap carpeting installed.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:14 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I just got off the phone with my cous. I asked him about the splinter concern, and he reminded me that we bought some wood putty for cracks and crevices. Also that extra layers of paint make a surface even harder.

He and I found this local place here in the Twin Cities where people donate their used household products. We went in there and scored tons of free paint. We basically got an endless supply of free paint going forward. Can't believe how spendy paint is these days but I'm sure if those of you look you can also find local places in your vicinity that have similar places.

This thread has given me some good ideas. Both good and bad. Thanks for all the replies. I'm still kind of standoffish on painting it, but leaning towards I might paint it and just see what it looks like since basically I will be getting free paint. If it looks like hell, I might then proceed with some cheap carpeting installed.
Hopefully it's porch and floor paint. That's the only type that will hold up well with foot traffic. The kind I have on my back porch resists foot traffic, dirt, wet spots, and can be wiped up or wet mopped. I love it.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:49 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
If you're going to paint your floor, you might look into "deck" paint. It has silica aggregate in it for non-slip performance.

Regular Paint w/wet shoes can be slippery. Icy could be even worse. (I see where you are.)

If I were you, I'd pony up the $300 for LVP from Costco and be done with it. (I'd seal the cat whizz areas first though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House