Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

How to get rid of pack rat syndrome, seeking advice on how to get rid of stuff in home, no space in closets or under beds, how to downsize

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

My closets are neat, but they are STUFFED to the gills. I have everything in neat baskets along shelves, clothes neatly hanging . . . and rubbermaid tubs lining the walls, the floor, and stacked up. I can't get into either of these closets to reach anything b/c I have so many tubs. Everything is nice and neat but the closets are non-functional as far as anyone actually getting clothes in and out. I have out of season clothing in both closets (for DH, myself and DS). I have all sorts of stuff in tubs, from blankets to clothing to linens.

These closets are not huge - they are small walk in closets in my two guest rooms.

I just have to pare down. I don't know how! We downsized to this house and I have given away, donated, thrown out . . . and I am still left w/ STUFF and it is driving me crazy.

I bought those "space bags" (you use the vac and shrink stuff down) and I have other things in those under beds!!!

I am at a loss. Any suggestions? What do you do if you feel you really need to keep things (such as blankets, comforters, etc) but they are taking up too much space? I have company arriving for Memorial Day weekend and no where for them to so much as hang a garment - much less put a suitcase. (Oh - my suitcases are also in the closets).

HELP ME. I am desperate to figure out a better solution. Just opening the door to those closets is anxiety inducing!!! Neat, yes - workable, NO!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
i feel like you! my closets are not stuffed, but they are pretty full. I am determined to sort through and eliminate. I think that is all you can really do. I think when all is said and done, we only wear a few items of clothing over and over and we usually have far too much to choose from!!! I don't have a solution, but share your pain. I guess the other way to do the elimination is to look in the yellow pages for professional organizers and pay the price!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
My new rule is that if I haven't used it in 10-20 years, obviously I don't need it. So out it goes.. The only exception is some things that I really love for one reason or another. That list is pretty small.

It is amazing how much stuff we accumulate.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Ok, this can be called the "pack-rat" syndrome, right? My wife has this and even though we have also given away and threw away a number of things, we still have TO MUCH! One very good way people find out that they have to much stuff is when they move and have to pay a high moving cost to have all of this stuff moved. My wife and I have gone "around and around" about what to get rid of, but she is now really seeing my point of getting rid of more things. We are finding things we don't use anymore, have more dishes than we ever use, etc., etc. Basically, what you have to do is just get rid of stuff you don't need and just DO IT........put your mind into it. We have a garage full of boxes that we are going thru 98% of them and "TOSSING AND DONATING" a lot of things now. Good Luck!!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Step 1: Eliminate everything you have not seen or used for 5 years.
Step 2: Now that you have pared that down, eliminate everything that has not been seen or used for the last year (a full set of seasons).

If you have not used the item in the last year, you probably really do not need it. The only exception would be sentimental items. Linens, other than family quilts or handmade doilies, are generally not sentimental items neither is clothing (other than wedding dress). It's tough, you really have to sit down and think about it when you sort through everything. I just went through my own closets and saw boxes I had not opened since I moved 3 years ago...you guessed it...garage sale time. I had to be kind of brutal with myself about it but I did it.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, this can be called the "pack-rat" syndrome, right? My wife has this and even though we have also given away and threw away a number of things, we still have TO MUCH! One very good way people find out that they have to much stuff is when they move and have to pay a high moving cost to have all of this stuff moved. My wife and I have gone "around and around" about what to get rid of, but she is now really seeing my point of getting rid of more things. We are finding things we don't use anymore, have more dishes than we ever use, etc., etc. Basically, what you have to do is just get rid of stuff you don't need and just DO IT........put your mind into it. We have a garage full of boxes that we are going thru 98% of them and "TOSSING AND DONATING" a lot of things now. Good Luck!!
Hi, LoveBoating! Yes, a move does bring it up as to what needs to be tossed. Every square foot costs where you are moving! I, too, had to do that b/f we moved here. I don't know that any of this is the pack rat syndrome, tho, b/c it is stuff like linens, comforters, blankets, etc. that need to be stored out of season.

Now, in my kitchen, I have the problem you mentioned - I have so many serving pieces and sets of dishes! However, I use them when we entertain! I guess I don't have enuff storage space. But dern - these tubs are annoying and even tho everything is "neat" - I cant even walk into that walk-in closet, LOL!!!

I don't think I can get rid of blankets and things we need in the winter. I am sure I could get rid of some of the clothing.

I am starting to think I need less living space and more storage space, LOL!!! If we downsize again for retirement - what the heck am I gonna do then???

Maybe you hit on something, LB. If we move again, I will have to get rid of more stuff. I had a friend tell me they tried to sell their houses about every five years caused it forced them to clean out closets and garages! That seemed odd to me . . .until now!!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Step 1: Eliminate everything you have not seen or used for 5 years.
Step 2: Now that you have pared that down, eliminate everything that has not been seen or used for the last year (a full set of seasons).

If you have not used the item in the last year, you probably really do not need it. The only exception would be sentimental items. Linens, other than family quilts or handmade doilies, are generally not sentimental items neither is clothing (other than wedding dress). It's tough, you really have to sit down and think about it when you sort through everything. I just went through my own closets and saw boxes I had not opened since I moved 3 years ago...you guessed it...garage sale time. I had to be kind of brutal with myself about it but I did it.
Some of this stuff is sentimental stuff. Most is stuff that is out of season and needs to be stored til the next season. Dear me. Maybe I should try stacking up rubber tubs in the garage. Anyone else do that? Do you have trouble w/ bugs? Anyone use moth balls anymore?

I think I need to do what you suggested about clothing. I need to just get brutal about it. I have evening wear that I have not worn in 8 years. I know I could get rid of that. Maybe I could sell it on Ebay. $5 would be better than just tossing it. I always donate clothing to Goodwill but I am thinking . . . there is a re-seller here- you take your stuff in and they sell it on Ebay. I guess they get a cut of every sale. Maybe I could get rid of the evening clothes that way and at least feel I was getting a few dollars for it. If it even sells, LOL.

Anyone else have problems just giving away expensive clothing? I cringed when I gave away a lot of wool jackets, but I did it. Guess I need to either donate the stuff or find out about selling it. That would help some w/ the space . . . but not a lot.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-19-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Ani my friend, we need to talk! Looks like you need some serious intervention here!

You should take those evening gowns to a consignment store. Also, when I was in CT, the women's group where I worked organized a "Donate Your Formal Wear" campaign to teens who cannot afford prom dresses. This is just the right time to do that!!! I don't know if there's one near where we live, but it might be worth a try. Same with your business suits if you have those. The same org donated it to women who cannot afford interview suits and are trying to just get a job but are starting out with nothing.

As far as your blankets, towels and general linen are concerned, ask yourself how many guests you really have during the year and whether you need that many. There might be homeless shelters you could donate these too, or battered women's shelters and the like.

Your extra china can come to me...let me know what's a good time for me to come pick them up. LOL!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Great advice-consignment shop is the way to go and if they don't sell, don't pick them back up. When I had my shop we would donate items to charity that weren't picked up.

We just didn't have clothes, we had china,crystal,furniture, jewelry,etc.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
My new rule is that if I haven't used it in 10-20 years, obviously I don't need it. So out it goes.. The only exception is some things that I really love for one reason or another. That list is pretty small.

It is amazing how much stuff we accumulate.
Your new rule is that if you haven't used it in 10 - 20 years??!! Wow! I say if you haven't looked at it, touched it, worn it in 2 years then chances are looking pretty good that you aren't going to anytime soon, so let go.

I just watched a Dr. Phil episode which covered Hoarders. Those who just can't throw something away, granted, his show was extreme but still. I feel revived when I have a big house cleaning and get rid of a lot of stuff. It refreshes me in a way.
I was just having this convo with my fiance last night, he's holding onto magazines he had from when he was a kid and I'm like ok, enough is enough, throw them away! He's kind of a packrat too.
We arent having kids so there really isn't a reason to hold onto them. I say throw them away or keep an article you like (which is what he did).

I think for those that have a hard time letting go you just need to learn the benefits of doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House