U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM

49 posts, read 183,101 times
Default Water Softener - Smell after new installation

I bought a Fleck 5600-SE 68K water softener from QualityWaterTreatment after reading feedback from other users on this board and installed myself. I *think* I have done everything right, but I am getting this smell of resin in water even after it passes through an RO filteration system for drinking.

Now I have started wondering if there is something that I have done wrong during installation? Water looks clean and without any color by looking at it and I can clearly tell the smell is from resin (I am using high effeciency resin they sold to me for extra money).

Below is my setup (4 heads at home including a child - based on 24 gpg I came up with following):

- Regeneration set to 2500 gallons
- 40 lb normal salt in the brine tank (after filling it about 4 inches I poured salt and now can see water in the tank among lot of salt)

It has been 12 hrs since I set it up, and noticed dark brown (resin) running through drain from the control and going into pipes when I turned on the volve for the first time but it has gone now. Maybe there is some minor resin still left in pipes causing the smell? How dangerous is this for drinking?

Thanks for your suggestions; it has helped me save about $1000 in water softener thus far (if I could get around with this smell now without calling a plumber )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,043 times
Angry Resin smell--Me too!

Hi, I was wondering if you solved your resin smell? If so, what was finally done??

I also bought a water softener (Fleck 2510) from Quality Water Treatment recently and have very similar issues. I also bought SST60 resin. You stated getting very dark brown-yellowish water (I did too in the beginning). After numerous backwashes and regeneration, the water has a slight yellowish tint still and has a strong resin smell. I decided to put the system in bypass mode.

I contacted Purolite (the resin manufacturer). They suggested I send a sample of resin. I did and currently waiting for the results.

I have also called and talked to the president (owner) of Quality Water Treatment and discussed my issue and that I was sending a sample of resin to Purolite. He did not offer any help, nor mentioned that he heard of this issue.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 PM

286 posts, read 860,507 times
About 18-24 months ago I had two customers that got some bad resin, not SST, and I sent them new resin free of charge. That company should do the same for their customer.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 17,018 times
Resin was found to be out dated do to Purolite putting with new batches when it should of been dis guarded. Once we figured out the problem new resin was sent to both of these customers.

Mod Cut... Advertising.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-26-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman824 View Post
Resin was found to be out dated do to Purolite putting with new batches when it should of been dis guarded. Once we figured out the problem new resin was sent to both of these customers. Thank you, qualitywatertreatment.com
Strange then that after the first experience wiht the bad resin and the same problem, that the resin wasn't automatically replaced the second time.

And really, the age of the resin does not cause resins to go bad. There was something wrong in the manufacturing process.

Mod cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-18-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM

19,246 posts, read 15,013,536 times
How about the NO ADVERTISING rule???

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Garry you can call Terry Heller Chemical Engineer for the SST-60 Resin MFG. and ask him being he is the one that told me that the resin was outdated and was supposed to be taken out of circulation.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Then IMO he didn't want to say it was a bad batch of resin mixed in with good resin because if the resin is stored in a factory sealed bag or prevented from drying out, and not allowed to freeze and thaw repeatedly, resin doesn't have a use by date regardless if it is sitting around at the manufacturer, their distributors or their dealers. Bottom line, good resin does not have an odor.

And you didn't automatically replace the first customer's resin or the second customer's resin as soon as he had the same odor problem as the first guy months before.

Mod Cut: Website...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-23-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM

QWT had been providing quality water treatment products and service since 1990. We are a active member of the Better Business Bureau, with a complaint free record for the last four years running. Numerous testimonials on our web site should be an assurance of our commitment to customer service excellence. We concentrate on our customers needs and not on voicing our opinion on what our competition should or should not be doing.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 AM

As I said, I hear from some of your customers, along with other competitors' customers, and we see two of yours in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House