Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 07:01 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I've been doing walking/driving tours of cities on Youtube for months now and last night I was in Muscat, Oman. Drone footage shows white-white-white, the whole city is painted white. Being desert, perhaps there's a reason for it as it keeps the houses cooler?

Oh good Lord! Imagine, with no green grass, a few trees, and every house in your neighborhood is white!!! In India, they view the color white as the color of death. I'd go stark-raving mad living there!

I had enough of controlled color schemes living in Las Vegas. The mindset up there is they want the houses to blend in with the desert, with just earth tones. God forbid if you live in one of those color-controlled HOA communities and you paint your house pink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
This seems like a really pointless thing to concern yourself with.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:23 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
I think it would bother me after a while. I like variety.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Pictures I have seen of Jerusalem or other cities in Israel look like they have all white buildings. It is boring, but it is what it is.

I do prefer much richer architecture, but you have to run what you brung. If all you have to build with is mud and clay, you are going to have pretty uniform looking buildings.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
This seems like a really pointless thing to concern yourself with.
Aesthetics are important. I am glad I have never lived in a city with homes that were boring and uniform in appearance. I like seeing a beautiful variety. Variety is the spice of life. Aesthetics matter.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:32 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've been doing walking/driving tours of cities on Youtube for months now and last night I was in Muscat, Oman. Drone footage shows white-white-white, the whole city is painted white. Being desert, perhaps there's a reason for it as it keeps the houses cooler?

Oh good Lord! Imagine, with no green grass, a few trees, and every house in your neighborhood is white!!! In India, they view the color white as the color of death. I'd go stark-raving mad living there!

I had enough of controlled color schemes living in Las Vegas. The mindset up there is they want the houses to blend in with the desert, with just earth tones. God forbid if you live in one of those color-controlled HOA communities and you paint your house pink!
Ummm...ever been to Mykonos? Or Santorini? I love the white buildings and walkways and steps...it's really quite lovely there.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:36 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
I saw this and thought by saying "all white" you were referring to the residents.

As a kid, my family lived for a while in a neighborhood where the vast majority of the townhouses were painted white. I never gave it a second thought.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:39 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I hate “clickbait” titles!

Know what they say about “idle hands”? It’s the same for the brain!

Old 01-29-2022, 07:46 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I saw this and thought by saying "all white" you were referring to the residents.
Lol. I thought so too. I'm like, this is sure to get some responses...

But aesthetics is huge with me. It may be my most vital concern and was the reason I moved from where I was living in Las Vegas to the east coast. That was it. The only reason. I couldn't stand the aesthetic of the desert. Everything else was perfect.

So I think this is definitely an important thing for you to be concerned with. Some people are like that. Others don't care. Neither one is right or wrong, just different ways of dealing with the world and it's fine.

As for me I hate the color white. I prefer dark colors. My favorite color is a rich dark brown. I would not willingly live in a place where all there is is white all around.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:53 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I could adjust to all white phyiscal surroundings. I see a lot of white for part of every year with snowfall. My dealbreaker would be all black buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House