Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 PM

563 posts, read 3,733,322 times

Advertisements

We've run into one small inconvenience with our new home . . our neighbor's ac unit. It is an old clunker, looks well over 15 years old, rattles as loudly as motorcycle and is 15 feet from my bedroom window!!
Is there anything to do in such a situation besides replacing my windows with some amazing sound proof things and adding insulation to my walls?? They aren't very friendly people so its not a situation where I can mention this to them. But right now, as I'm trying to sleep, I am seriously ready to scream!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,852,711 times
Not much you can do (morally or legally) if he's not real friendly. Hopefully it's on it's last leg & will freeze up this summer when it's 102 and he'll have to very quickly have a new one installed.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 PM

692 posts, read 3,133,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
We've run into one small inconvenience with our new home . . our neighbor's ac unit. It is an old clunker, looks well over 15 years old, rattles as loudly as motorcycle and is 15 feet from my bedroom window!!
Is there anything to do in such a situation besides replacing my windows with some amazing sound proof things and adding insulation to my walls?? They aren't very friendly people so its not a situation where I can mention this to them. But right now, as I'm trying to sleep, I am seriously ready to scream!!
If worse comes to worse I would do one of four things,

1. Call the authorities and explain your situation to see if there is an ordinance that could be enforced. ie: (disturbing the peace)
2. Take the bull by the horns and go over and have a talk with them. See if they would agree to replace it if you helped to pay the cost of a new quiet AC unit. check with local installers to find out what the best quite unit is so you dont end up with another noisy unit. I like Lennox.
Make the offer attractive as you may only get one shot.
3. You could replace your windows with Milgards Quiet windows or have someone install an inner third pane of 3/16 glass with a thermal break. Specify super spacers if new windows are used.
Then you could have the latest quite 5/8" sheet rock applied over your exsisting sheetrock on all the walls that would be affective. One sheet is equal to 8 regular sheets in db levels.
4. Buy a set of good ear plugs.

It could just be something loose on the unit. Maybe it could be checked.
Be generous with your offers. That way they will know you are serious.

If you decide on the sheet rock and windows let me know and I can get you the info.

Good Luck,

Silverfox

Last edited by silverfox; 05-20-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 PM

177 posts, read 970,863 times
bookworm,

I had to look at your location to see if it was Georgia -- because WE have a very noisy heat pump ourselves. It's now 5 years old and has been noisy from day 1 despite examinations and "work" by at least 3 ac/heat guys. I'm just guessing that you're talking about a big "unit" and not something easy to replace like a window a/c?

Anyway, after you get to know your neighbors a bit you might start off with something along the lines of "they sure don't make stuff like they used to". If you've had problems with any appliances or things like that yourself that didn't last or had problems you could toss that in for starters. Your neighbors might hate the racket of their a/c unit themselves. We hate ours and have been thinking of ways to replace it, but in our case the entire heat pump would need to be replaced. Their problem might be something that's fixable.

You could also call the local power company and see if they have a policy of offering any financial advantage for replacing older units with newer more energy efficient ones. I don't know about this years tax laws, but I do know in previous years that SOME energy efficient replacement things can be a tax credit (which I imagine you know is so-o-o much better than a deduction). I don't know if a/c units would be included in credits if they are still being offered.

Best of luck...a very touchy subject.

zebbie

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 PM

177 posts, read 970,863 times
PS you might try bringing up energy efficiency and saving on electric (or gas) bills rather than the noise level, if you think the unit is really old.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,736,355 times
Legally... earplugs are the easiest. Otherwise... lots of things can be done.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 AM

983 posts, read 4,430,683 times
Does your neighbor drink beer? Have a nice cold one in hand one day when you see him outside and then start a conversation that leads up to the air conditioning issue. Ask him how the heck does he sleep with that thing being so loud. It could be a money issue on their end and he may mention he wants to replace it but blah blah blah. Sometimes when we get to know our neighbors we find they are not just being unfriendly but they just got things they are dealing with.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times
I think the city probably has a noise ordinance that might come into play for this--check the city's web site to see if you can find something-
do you have a homeowners' assoc with rules about noise and other issues like parking or unkept yards--some people complain about HOAs but ours has stopped people who live across from us from continuing to run their roofing business out of the house they moved out of more than 6 months ago so i can see good and bad with them...

while it seems stupid for YOU to have to spend money (ie new windows, sheetrock, whatever) to avoid the problem--it is really a matter of poor planning on the people who designed the layout of the two houses--and no consideration for issues/problems like this
no offense but guessing we are taking a tract development where there is little side space and most houses were built about the same time

Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,664,054 times
Do you have another bedroom you could use in the summer?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,205,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Legally... earplugs are the easiest. Otherwise... lots of things can be done.
My thought was to kill it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House