Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:39 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
In some parts of the country they think it's a good idea to co-locate the laundry with, well, one of the functions that makes laundry necessary. Why?!

Attachment 235765
Wouldn't bother me a bit; all the appliances that could spring a leak are together on a tile floor. Also, it's very handy. Strip down for a shower, and drop your clothes in the washer...

It'd be a little OCD to think of this as "germy" or "dirty," IMO.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-25-2022 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 01:07 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
My preference would be for a separate laundry room but I doubt I'll ever achieve this.

Instead, I made a house plan for a 600 sqft house, 30' by 20'. It's very simple. You can walk in the front door and walk all the way through to the back door. Coming in the front door, the living room is on the right with the kitchen behind it and a single bedroom is on the left with the bathroom behind that across from the kitchen. The bathroom is narrower than the bedroom, so I have about three extra feet to play with. So on the back side of the bathroom across from the kitchen, I put the washer and dryer behind a louvered door and next to a linen closet. The back door is right there if I want to take clothes out and hang them to dry and the kitchen table is right next to the door so when clothes are done drying, outside or inside, I can dump them on the table, then sit and fold them.

The washer and dryer aren't exactly in the kitchen, but if I was doing dishes or cooking or something, they're close enough so I could throw a load in and be right there when it finished. Works for me.

Now, if I could just afford to build the house. lol

Old 03-26-2022, 08:21 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I'm 100% with you on this. It's awful. No thanks -- a deal breaker. Slightly less appalling is washer dryer in kitchen (but, still a no thanks).
Before we remodeled our kitchen, the washing machine was in the kitchen, as that was the only place it could go when the house was built in 1952. It's now in a small enclosed space off the back porch, next to the dryer.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:43 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
The first thing that popped into my mind: Getting out of the shower and then pulling out a nice warm towel out of the dryer.

I think I like this bath/laundry combo idea...

Old 03-26-2022, 10:10 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Before we remodeled our kitchen, the washing machine was in the kitchen, as that was the only place it could go when the house was built in 1952. It's now in a small enclosed space off the back porch, next to the dryer.
We had a stackable in the kitchen. Not a problem... Several other appliances (and plumbing) are kept there, so why not?

If I had an enclosed back porch, I'd convert it to an all-weather Florida or sunroom for myself versus a laundry room!

Old 03-26-2022, 10:59 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
We had a stackable in the kitchen. Not a problem... Several other appliances (and plumbing) are kept there, so why not?

If I had an enclosed back porch, I'd convert it to an all-weather Florida or sunroom for myself versus a laundry room!
It's about 8x6, so nowhere big enough to use for a person. The dryer has been there forever, the kitchen remodel allowed us to add the water and drain connections for the washing machine, and free up some space in the kitchen.

We plan to put a cover on the patio, which is 20x12, and would be a nice space. It's OK now, but the lack of a cover means getting wet when it rains. I only do that when I want to be miserable and then annoy my wife.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:02 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Same here - house built in the 1920s - no such thing as a washer and dryer then

They did set washer up in the kitchen.

When we remodeled we took that out and moved it to what was the kitchen eating area - which I miss.

The dryer was already in that area. We added a wall with open doorway. I still wanted to be able to see out the big window that was there.

I really want to move them out to the garage and get the eating area back!

Old 03-26-2022, 01:42 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
In some parts of the country they think it's a good idea to co-locate the laundry with, well, one of the functions that makes laundry necessary. Why?!

Attachment 235765
Hmm. Based on that photo, I'd say that house is a candidate to be a total "tear down." Not just to the studs - remove the foundation and start over from scratch. Design & build something nice.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:43 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why not? It is a practical way to add another bathroom in a small space and the access to plumbing is handy.
For a properly designed house, there is never a reason to add another bathroom in a small space. It should be designed to have the correct number of bathrooms in the first place.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:43 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
For a properly designed house, there is never a reason to add another bathroom in a small space. It should be designed to have the correct number of bathrooms in the first place.

You know you're right. And just like that we eliminate the whole remodeling industry! Just design it properly the first time! Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House