Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 07:38 PM

17,432 posts, read 65,659,531 times

Advertisements

This is not an uncommon situation.
I would put the burden on the contractor- time is money. They don’t want to waste time tracking down one of literally thousands of different floorings. If they can’t find it- that’s what the insurance adjuster will take into consideration.

But! Before you get your flooring replaced, I’d make damn sure that the neighbor has fixed the “plumbing” issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 04:19 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,210,522 times
All very good advice!

I could rip up a piece of the floor and take it to Lowes or HD, but even if they found it, it wouldn't match. I would like to think that the insurance company will understand this and will just replace all of my flooring.

And yes K'ledgBldr, I will make damn sure the neighbor fixes his issue. I am sure both me and the building engineer will be on their case about that, haha.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:14 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,144,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Hey, I will try to keep this brief.
Long story short, I own a condo in a high rise. One of the walls in my condo shares a wall with my neighbor. Their bathroom is behind a section of this wall, and they have faulty caulking around their tub. When they are showering, water is getting behind their tub, coming under the wall, and getting under my laminate wood flooring. So now, I have a section of flooring that needs to be torn up and replaced. I have just contacted his home insurance provider.
I have been calling around to flooring contractors to get the ball rolling on quotes. Well the issue is that a couple of contractors that I have called have all said the same thing: "you will most likely have to replace all of the laminate flooring in your condo because the new flooring will not match". I feel like they are right, honestly. I don't know the manufacturer and color code of my existing flooring, so I have no lead on that.
So my question to you all is, have you ever encountered a similar issue, and what was the outcome? Did the insurance company agree to replace all of the flooring to match? Did you have to put up a fight with them?

I am already dreading this since insurance is all about taking money, and band-aiding the problem.
I want my floors to match the way they used to. They weren't mismatched before, and it would be unfair to have mismatched flooring because insurance is too cheap. Any insight would be great. Thanks
Used to work at condo complexes. This is common, and the flooring was always totally replaced. They also need to repair the wall and repaint. Usually by the time they get done fixing all of the issues this is caused, the flooring is the cheapest part of the project. You may think it’s just the floor… but in my experience as an onlooker — it’s never just the floor.

Old 07-22-2022, 01:04 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,210,522 times
I am still in the process of speaking with my neighbor's insurance company. It seems like he is trying to dodge this. I really hope he does not make this difficult. My floors are damaged because he didn't/couldn't maintain his condo. Some people just should not be homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House