Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 02:18 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Or it could be unsafe to do so, as the extended ladder forces a bad angle for the base.

In any case, OP should get the existing one repaired or replaced (or removed, if possible and up to code). Sounds like the one in place is unsafe.
Agreed. Just wanted to comment on the “ second ladder “ as that makes zero sense to me, in my experience with pull-down ladders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 02:19 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
He's fat, not tall. I have one sink that's hard to access underneath, but its difficulty is a function of my height. Crawlspace? It's tight, but being 100 lbs heavier than I am wouldn't make it much more tight.
Your comment makes you sound young, lol. I'm not sure how old this plumber was but if I was carrying around an extra 100-150 lbs and needed to crawl around on my knees, I tell ya I'd be absolutely miserable and in tons of pain. As you age, that extra weight paired with the compromising positions will get to you.

Height or weight, doesn't matter. His body is going to be destroyed doing that kind of work so overweight. In fact, I saw it happen in my wife's family. Her uncle was in the plumbers union and he got seriously overweight in his later years. It ended up hurting his body beyond repair and he died fairly young (high 50's).

Old 09-20-2022, 02:31 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Your comment makes you sound young, lol. I'm not sure how old this plumber was but if I was carrying around an extra 100-150 lbs and needed to crawl around on my knees, I tell ya I'd be absolutely miserable and in tons of pain. As you age, that extra weight paired with the compromising positions will get to you.

Height or weight, doesn't matter. His body is going to be destroyed doing that kind of work so overweight. In fact, I saw it happen in my wife's family. Her uncle was in the plumbers union and he got seriously overweight in his later years. It ended up hurting his body beyond repair and he died fairly young (high 50's).
Not to mention that 100 pounds lighter still puts him a 275-300 est.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:27 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

Yes, we have a young male CNA at the nursing home I work in who has to weight 400# at least. He is literally covered head to toe with sweat with even a little bit of exertion. We have been concerned on a couple of occasions he might have a heart attack, and I don't think he's even near 30. I feel bad for him, he comes in our office sometimes on his break and looks up "healthy snacks" and other things like that, so I think he knows how bad his health is due to his weight. Nursing home residents can be pretty filterless at times too.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:30 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Is having a water heater in an attic common? I've never heard of that before. Is that an E Coast thing like oil heaters?

Old 09-20-2022, 04:33 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, we have a young male CNA at the nursing home I work in who has to weight 400# at least. He is literally covered head to toe with sweat with even a little bit of exertion. We have been concerned on a couple of occasions he might have a heart attack, and I don't think he's even near 30. I feel bad for him, he comes in our office sometimes on his break and looks up "healthy snacks" and other things like that, so I think he knows how bad his health is due to his weight. Nursing home residents can be pretty filterless at times too.
I can't even imagine being that heavy. I'm 68 and weigh @205 now (up from 185 or so two years ago) and feel fat.

I had held the 185 for years (sort of, I gained a bunch of weight in the mid-90s but lost it. Stopped eating bread and rice for a couple months). That 185 was 10 pounds heavier than I'd weighed at my last flight physical in 1982.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:52 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is having a water heater in an attic common? I've never heard of that before. Is that an E Coast thing like oil heaters?
It’s a warm weather thing where there is mostly slab construction and they don’t have to worry about really cold temperatures. If you’re in a Southern state where it’s sweltering and your attic is equally unbearable, that’s less work the water heater has to do. For those of us in colder areas, that would probably render a water heater inoperable in winter.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Just wondering if a plumber is that overweight-could they bring a ladder that would support their weight?

Old 09-20-2022, 05:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Good idea,he works for a large company,and came with a company van loaded with parts and tools.
they could easily provide him with an aluminium ladder.
or he should know to have one/
Someone before him broke the lower rungs,it still work but he is rather heavy,he said he weighs 375 lbs,my guess he weighs north of 400.
He called his manager,some one in his company had an accident and was out for 9 months,so his company probably does not want anything happen to him.
They sent a guy who weighs less.
I was looking at attic ladder,it looks like Lowe has a few and they would install and remove the old one=steel,wood or AL

Old 09-20-2022, 08:31 PM

30,151 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I asked a plumber to go to the attic to turn the water heater back on and flush it.
He pulled down the ladder and examined it carefully,he said not enough support,and the lower rungs are broken,he called his manager and they are going to send a skinny guy.
He said he weighs 375 lbs,I suspect he weights 400 plus lb.

Reminds me of a "Curb your enthusiasm" episode where Larry hired a morbidly obese guy to fix his roof. And was worried he would fall though. And did fall through. Sometimes life imitates art.

FAT ROOFER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House