U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 05:51 AM

32,993 posts, read 77,510,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Does anyone recommend a company that can ...
Personally and as a former landlord I've gone through this a few times.
It's a DIY job.

WASHING the ceiling and walls with a bleach solution (gallon of HOT water, drop of dish soap, 1C bleach)
soft cloth (old bath towels); 4'x4' area at a time, rinse with fresh HOT water.

In a few (cheap) rentals I just repainted with KILZ oil paint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 12:31 PM

32,815 posts, read 3,554,170 times
https://www.h2ouse.org/kilz-vs-zinsser/

https://painttopics.com/kilz-vs-zinsser/

I have used both Zinsser and Kilz and stopped buying Kilz three houses ago. I now only use Zinsser products. Sure, Zinsser is a bit more expensive, but wow, it sure took care of the horrible odors previous owners left behind. I figure if I'm going through the labor of priming I want the best product available, IMO.

The second link above has a nice comparison chart.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:52 PM

965 posts, read 2,560,079 times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-17-2022, 07:52 PM

32,815 posts, read 3,554,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
I don't want to assume, but do you own one and are you a satisfied customer?

Old 10-26-2022, 07:32 PM

1,226 posts, read 659,975 times
There is conflicting info here. Should Kilz be water based or oil based? The painters in my area said they use Kilz so I guess I'll have to go with that, but I want to make sure they use the right one. None of them have mentioned TSP yet.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:19 PM

31,589 posts, read 32,769,706 times
Quote:
There is conflicting info here. Should Kilz be water based or oil based? The painters in my area said they use Kilz so I guess I'll have to go with that, but I want to make sure they use the right one. None of them have mentioned TSP yet.
Oil based.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:42 AM

715 posts, read 782,398 times
Air the place out...open windows.. paint walls and shampoo carpets or replace them, wipe everything down.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:31 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,011,126 times
Quote:
This product specifically lists smoke, cigar odor eliminated.

De-waxed shellack

https://www.jondon.com/b-i-n-clear-s...er-sealer.html

The box stores sell it in gallon sizes

Old 11-02-2022, 01:30 PM

2,848 posts, read 843,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oil based.
^ This!

I guarantee the oil-based Kilz will work, as it has for many decades.

Kilz has recently come out with a water-based one that is 'supposed' to be 'just as good' as the oil-based one; it's not any cheaper, and good luck to you on if the nicotine/smoke doesn't eventually seep thru that one...

Old 11-03-2022, 09:59 AM

16,635 posts, read 61,397,687 times
Quote:

If they’re not washing the walls- keep looking.

It’s amazing how much filth will come off the walls just washing. Then sealing with an oil based primer/sealer will essentially block any other containments from coming through. The biggest problem with using water-based material is it can “reconstitute” what is still on the wall. Several years ago when the wallpaper fad was over, the only way you could make sure you didn’t “reconstitute” any residual glue was to use an oil-based primer/sealer.
As much as you could wash a wall down- there was no guarantee that all the glue was gone.

Latex paint would get real gummy and sticky when there is residual glue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House