U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2022, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,468 posts, read 76,183,924 times
Reputation: 120776

Advertisements

Check on tips here:
https://inspectapedia.com/odor_diagn...or_Removal.php
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2022, 12:56 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 662,649 times
Reputation: 663
Does it matter which order I perform these things? Should the HVAC be done before or after paint and floors? I'm just scheduling things as the contractors are available. Half the time they don't even show up.

I'll try and ozone generator too at the end. That scares me a little since I read some reviews about breathing problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 01:04 PM
 
Location: U.S.
3,380 posts, read 5,941,775 times
Reputation: 3235
I wish you luck. Appears some folks on here have had some luck getting rid of the smell. My sister's first house was originally owned by a smoker. 40+ years of smoking. We spent weeks cleaning, priming and painting EVERYTHING. All carpets were removed, hardwoods were stripped and refinished. Windows and cabinets were cleaned multiple times, etc. HVAC vents/ducts were all cleaned...I think we effectively got rid of the heavy smell, but I swear on some days when it was humid out I would get a waft of cigarette smell. Maybe the house was just haunted by the PO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 04:45 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 662,649 times
Reputation: 663
I got this quote for HVAC cleaning. Do I need to do all of this? I can probably skip the dryer vent?

Here is the pricing for duct cleanings:
$150 / system
$50 / register ($10 extra for ceiling or high wall registers, $15 extra for baseboard registers, $25 extra for 10'+ ceilings)
$150 / dryer vent cleaning (covers standard dryer vents, additional charges may apply depending on length & condition of vent)
$125 / antimicrobial fogging
$50-$100 / coil cleaning (this is typically necessary if the system has not had regular maintenance.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 12:13 PM
 
Location: TEXAS
2,851 posts, read 844,422 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I got this quote for HVAC cleaning. Do I need to do all of this? I can probably skip the dryer vent?

Here is the pricing for duct cleanings:
$150 / system
$50 / register ($10 extra for ceiling or high wall registers, $15 extra for baseboard registers, $25 extra for 10'+ ceilings)
$150 / dryer vent cleaning (covers standard dryer vents, additional charges may apply depending on length & condition of vent)
$125 / antimicrobial fogging
$50-$100 / coil cleaning (this is typically necessary if the system has not had regular maintenance.)

The $50/register for 'cleaning' them is kinda pricy considering you can buy NEW registers for under $20ea. - https://www.homedepot.com/s/air%20register?NCNI-5
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
31,596 posts, read 32,783,044 times
Reputation: 41087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I wish you luck. Appears some folks on here have had some luck getting rid of the smell. My sister's first house was originally owned by a smoker. 40+ years of smoking. We spent weeks cleaning, priming and painting EVERYTHING. All carpets were removed, hardwoods were stripped and refinished. Windows and cabinets were cleaned multiple times, etc. HVAC vents/ducts were all cleaned...I think we effectively got rid of the heavy smell, but I swear on some days when it was humid out I would get a waft of cigarette smell. Maybe the house was just haunted by the PO.
Was the floor under new carpet sealed? The odor might be coming from outlets, switches, and little things like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2022, 12:35 PM
 
Location: CFL
965 posts, read 2,560,663 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I don't want to assume, but do you own one and are you a satisfied customer?
I own one. Used it to clear cat smell on a condo. Ran it a few times and it did the job.
Would only work if you got rid of the source.
This is more if you have cleaned/painted , etc and it's just in the air.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2022, 12:37 PM
 
Location: CFL
965 posts, read 2,560,663 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Does it matter which order I perform these things? Should the HVAC be done before or after paint and floors? I'm just scheduling things as the contractors are available. Half the time they don't even show up.

I'll try and ozone generator too at the end. That scares me a little since I read some reviews about breathing problems.
heed the warning on the generators. Don't be in the room when they run. Fine otherwise
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top