Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 AM

49,990 posts, read 63,313,910 times

Advertisements

I love this industrial look. Some concrete floors I have seen were just as beautiful as wood floors. Since we now live in a house on concrete slab, I'm wondering if we should try it. Is it an easy DIY type of finish?
It's a traditional house, though, not a contemporary one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,943,296 times
Default I am not the type to say "never"' but...

I have been to a few industrial construction sites where the contractors have installed terrazzo / polished concrete I gotta say this one of the messiest, potentially "unfixable" type things i have seen in the broad category of floors.

The machines typically used by the pros are essentially grinding away a hard to control portion of the surface. It seems much More challenging than even hw floor sanding, as at least with that sort of machine you typically move in straight line. The concrete grinders have arcing motion that I imagine could result in some awful hills and valleys for the inexperienced operator...

I wonder if even pros would be willing to do this kind work in a home that was not totally vacant. The fine grit that results from the polishing / grinding is such that it probably ruins any finished surface it comes in contact with. I would think any furniture would be need to removed, and precautions made so that the grit is not sucked into appliances.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM

970 posts, read 2,956,196 times
Just out of curiosity, when you say, "Since we now live in a house on concrete slab", you're not planning on ripping out your current floors and polishing the slab, are you?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM

171 posts, read 543,737 times
Well, we moved into a house that has polished concrete floors. I thought I would love them and maybe if they were another color I would. They are dark, so you see everything. Not only that but whoever did the floors didn't do a very good job (that's becoming a theme in this house-ugh).

Something else I didn't expect---they are very slippery. I'd rather have large tiles everywhere!

If I had any idea how much I would NOT like them, I would've tiled everything before moving in

It used to be pretty cheap and something someone could do if they had to pull up their carpet and had no real money to add anything else. But I'm sure it's gotten more expensive since it's become popular.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,925,450 times
The slipperiness can be addressed with a particular product. Ask at a local grocery or big box store, especially one where you hear people have squeaking shoes as they walk around. The maintenance crew will know what it is and might be able to get a small amount for you.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,242,083 times
My brother bought an investment home that is built on a slab as most houses in Arizona are. He ripped up old carpeting and had a concrete flooring company put stained concrete on top of the slab. He made the choice due to wearability because he is renting the house. He now says he wishes he had done it in his own house, too. He used Saltillo terra cotta tiles there -- inside running out to a large covered patio -- and he hates them. They chip easily and he's had mucho trouble with the grout. In the same amount of time, the concrete floors have held up much better and were cheaper than the Saltillo.

You don't say where you live -- is cold a factor? That's the only thing about concrete floors. They can be cold -- not cold-looking, just literally cold. Great if it's hot outside, but not if it's snowing. Find some you like somewhere and ask who did them. It's an art -- just like concrete counter tops, some applications are more successful than others, so you need an experienced craftsperson. I've seen brown concrete floors that looked just like worn leather. A wonderful appearance to my taste.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,907,079 times
The previous owners of our house claimed to have had the concrete floors "done"... except that it was recent (not disclosed) and never sealed (also not disclosed). Areas that see heavy use/traffic are already peeling up (3 months).

In the spring, we'll be having carpet laid throughout and some type of linoleum in the bathrooms. The kitchen, dining and laundry rooms are done in a very nice tile - the only thing in this house they didn't screw up. I suspect it's the only part they actually paid to have professionally done.

Oh - and concrete floors are VERY hard on your legs and feet. We are so sorry we didn't have it carpeted before we moved in.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
Well, we moved into a house that has polished concrete floors. I thought I would love them and maybe if they were another color I would. They are dark, so you see everything. Not only that but whoever did the floors didn't do a very good job (that's becoming a theme in this house-ugh).

Something else I didn't expect---they are very slippery. I'd rather have large tiles everywhere!

If I had any idea how much I would NOT like them, I would've tiled everything before moving in

It used to be pretty cheap and something someone could do if they had to pull up their carpet and had no real money to add anything else. But I'm sure it's gotten more expensive since it's become popular.
Good points. I wouldn't like that either.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you say, "Since we now live in a house on concrete slab", you're not planning on ripping out your current floors and polishing the slab, are you?!?!?!?!?!?
Yup, that's what I was thinking. I'm guessing you think that's not my best idea?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 48,866 times
I have always been interested in having concrete floors, and I just bought a house which needs flooring. It seems they should be ideal for Florida with the ocean, the lakes, pools, sand, and people and pets in an out all day; and the cool floor is a plus. My passion is highly polished white marble, which is expensive, easily scratched, stained or damaged, and labor intensive to maintain, so I think I'd be happy with a faux white marble concrete floor. I plan on using a reputable, skilled, and artistic installer, and it is my understanding that the cost will be similar to low-end marble. I'm not sure polished concrete is any harder than marble or tile, but I'd like some opinions from people who have lived with or worked with them and can compare from experience. It would be great to hear the pros and cons from people who have polished concrete floors which were installed by skilled craftsmen/artists. Edit: I think I found my answers at an Australian "I-do" forum. People are happy with it and it's BEAUTIFUL. Weddings, Babies and Life in General > Polished concrete flooring I'm going to follow through and get some quotes.

Last edited by LovingLakePlacid; 08-23-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House