U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 03:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 666,658 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the MA forum but it was suggested that I put it here.

Does anyone recommend a company that can remove cigarette odors from a home? Can it be guaranteed? I called ServePro but they can't guarantee the odor will be gone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 03:40 PM

22,284 posts, read 65,610,202 times
I'd be surprised if any company gave an ironclad guarantee on that. ServePro has the equipment and the techs should be trained, but smoking odors can be pervasive and hard to eliminate, plus, someone sensitized to the odor may smell it while others don't. Instead of a guarantee, look for reviews and testimonials.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:27 PM

22,533 posts, read 30,087,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

Does anyone recommend a company that can remove cigarette odors from a home? Can it be guaranteed? I called ServePro but they can't guarantee the odor will be gone.

I checked out your other thread, the link is below. You got a lot of feed back but you didn't reply to anyone? Someone linked to a machine that gets high praise so it's worth a try.

You give absolutely no information, how is anyone supposed to help you?

How long has the person been smoking in the house? Is it one you bought or one you're thinking of buying?

My mother smoked mostly in the kitchen, some times in the living room, my dad who watched TV in the living room, maybe had a few cigarettes a night. It was mostly due to my mothers smoking, she did not inhale so she blew out pure nicotine.

I used Greased Lightening on the walls, cabinets, outside and in, wood work and glass. I used sponges, handiwipes, wash cloths, scrub brushes, tooth brushes and Q-tips to get at everything. I cleaned, then recleaned until the water ran clear. I then used Murphy's oil soap on the wood final cleaning.

Once the walls were clean, my neighbor painted them with 2 or 3 coats of Killz paint.

You don't say if there is carpet, it needs to be ripped out, do not clean it because the smell is probably in the wood floor too. We had my parents sanded down then he put poly on top, so nothing bled out.

No furniture at my parents thankfully. I used to smoke in my office 2 houses ago. Any furniture in the room got cleaned with the greased lightening and Murphy's. I had an exhaust fan that took the smoke right out, so that was trashed. Thankfully I didn't have to do much to my old office, I did shampoo the carpet but it was an industrial carpet, easily cleaned. Once the furniture and carpet was cleaned, you couldn't tell anyone ever smoked in the house.

I personally would clean and paint then run the machine if needed. It all depends on the situation and how much of the house was smoked in.

We had no issues in the dining room which was between their kitchen, nor any of the other rooms. It was just the kitchen mostly and living room. They didn't have central air, just baseboard heat which I cleaned the covers.

Removing cigarette odors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
https://www.odorfree.com/

Hotels and short term rental owners swear by them.

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-01-2022 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-01-2022, 11:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 666,658 times
Thanks. We are buying a property and the tenant is a smoker. I'm guessing she smoked inside the whole place. At least it will be empty when we buy it. There's is carpet on the stairs and upstairs which we plan to rip out. I figure we need to have some environmental company get the smell out and then repaint. We have two young kids so we don't have time to do it ourselves.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,064,462 times
I bought my house 7 years ago from a smoker, mostly in the garage though, but not entirely. But as a former smoker myself, you Know the smell when you smell it. I got rid of it, and here’s how I did it.

First and foremost, you’re going to need the real TSP in powder form. Not TSP-lite. The real stuff. Can get it online or in a paint store. It is about the only thing that will dissolve all of the tar off the walls and ceiling. Not doing this first before you paint, is a waste of time. You’ll smell it on the first humid day you’re in the house if you don’t, regardless of fresh paint. It’ll bleed through. You have to wipe it down, top to bottom. That will get the residual smoke and tar off the walls and ceiling.

Second - the hvac. Nothing you can do about the duct work. However if the hvac is a split system, then you have a A coil for the hvac in the system. YouTube how to clean it safely, or have it cleaned. It’s the fins on the compressor outside. It’s actually in the inside unit. A chemical wash specific for A coils is needed, and that’ll help out big time. You’ll be amazed at how much smoke residue gets trapped over time in those little cooling fins.

Third - invest in some type of UV light that you can install in the duct work above that coil. I’ve been using one from Honeywell for 5 years now, and it is an absolute game changer for home freshness. Instructions also youtubeable. It’s very easy and costs around $300 per unit.

Carpet? Gone. Don’t even waste your time trying. It won’t work. All fabrics need to be tossed. Wall paper? Gone too.

Primer with water based Kilz and then repaint with a good quality paint.

I did this (minus using the kilz, but wasn’t needed). My house smells like new construction ever since. The UV lights play a role in that, but the TSP absolutely made the difference to get all of that nasty residue gone for good. No masking or hiding the odor. It was gone, period. YouTube some TSP videos of painters using it to eliminate smoke residue. You’ll be shocked. It’s incredible stuff, and not hard to do. Just labor intensive. If you don’t TSP the place from the beginning, you’ll be wasting your time and money.

Lastly, if you need it after all of this, a company to ozone the attic. The smoke make be in the insulation, but I wouldn’t start there in my opinion.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 845,496 times
Quote:
Thanks. We are buying a property and the tenant is a smoker. I'm guessing she smoked inside the whole place. At least it will be empty when we buy it. There's is carpet on the stairs and upstairs which we plan to rip out. I figure we need to have some environmental company get the smell out and then repaint. We have two young kids so we don't have time to do it ourselves.
Wash then Paint the walls/ceiling with OIL based KILZ primer - only way to seal the smoke/nicotene that has penetrated the surface, as there is no way to get out what has soaked in.
After that, top-coat with regular paint - place will smell like new.
DO NOT use water based 'latex' KILZ - the smoke/nicotene will seep right thru it! No matter how hard you wash, the crap will keep seeping thru the surface, which is why you need the OIL kilz.

Of course floors, and any ducts will need to be cleaned, etc.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM

54,497 posts, read 76,213,281 times
It looks like a costly project and the result is unknown.
It is worth it??

Old 10-11-2022, 01:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 2,718,444 times
I use an ozone (O3) generator. It changes the molecular structure of the odor and eliminates the smell. They are priced reasonably and are available online from those massive online stores.

O3 is dangerous to breath in. Ensure you or your plants, mammals and birds, children are not exposed. Activate the generator and leave your home for 1-2 hours. Open your closets , storage areas, and drawers. When you get back home,hold your breath, open all the windows and doors and allow the house to air out the O3 back to O2 before you re-enter and breath anything in there. You can also use them in vehicles as long as any shampooing is bone dry.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,577 posts, read 72,453,164 times
Our first house was bought from a smoker. Before moving in we spent about 6 weeks getting the smell out:
1. Removed all carpets and window coverings
2. Scrubbed all walls and ceilings with TSP, including carpets
3. Painted all walls and ceilings
4 Scrubbed all kitchen cabinets inside and out
5. Replaced the furnace filters
6. Installed new window coverings and carpeting

No more smell was left, and we moved in.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:46 PM

13,228 posts, read 10,720,521 times
Quote:

I can't see anyone issuing a guarantee because its so subjective. "I don't smell anything." "I smell an ashtray!"

But...I know it can be done. Think about all the houses out there that are 50-100 years old, dating to when more people smoked. Cleaning, paint, and removing carpets/drapes will go a long, long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House