U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 06:24 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,059,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams has both paint and primers that work at 35 degrees. Some other brands go down to 35 as well, but I'm not a fan of the cheaper paints.
At 40 and below, drying time can be greatly extended so you may have to wait a day or two between priming and painting.
I'm pretty sure that the instructions for primers say to topcoat with a couple of weeks, so priming and then waiting until spring for the paint isn't recommended.
I think you'll be fine if you get a quality paint and prime and paint in the morning when the wood has warmed some, then it has all day to dry before night-time cooling and dew forming.
If it were my shed, I'd would make sure the first coat of primer gets as much drying as possible before second coat.
^^^This!
First decide if your shed should be painted or stained. There are solid stains available in the variety of colors.
The advantage of stains - that they just fade away eventually where the paint would start peeling when old or when improperly applied

Hence a lot of people prefer stains on the exterior- the fading appearance would extend the immediate need to re-apply the coating for aesthetics reasons

If you decide to paint: read the directions on the particular paint and get a matching primer.
Primer have to be covered with paint -depending on the primer within 7-14 days.

If you only prime this fall - you need to wash/prime again in spring - better for final paint coat.

Prior to all that: you need to know what material your shed is made of - there are differences - some wood may require an application of wood conditioner before applying the next layer of protection like some stains

If you paint - depending on the material you may need to use specific primer with stain blocking abilities to prevent knots bleeding, etc

Right now we have a choice of good primers, paints, stains for low temperatures.

If you have access or someone could loan you a pop up tent - you could just stain, prime/paint - 1or 2 sides at a time - erecting a pop up tent over that side only to help avoid rain, dew perhaps even bugs if drying in cold temps.

Congratulations on a long awaited addition to your place!
We expect photos!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 08:39 AM

33,172 posts, read 77,767,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
First decide if your shed should be painted or stained.
There are solid stains available in the variety of colors.
The advantage of stains - that they just fade away eventually...
Hence a lot of people prefer stains on the exterior; the fading appearance would extend
the immediate need to re-apply the coating for aesthetics reasons
^^There ya go.

You've seen these pictures before. The garage stain finish over T-111 was put on ~1983.
What you see is the result of a good washing (brush&hose) and a ~2014 squirt of Thompson's.
Then the new STAIN.
Attached Thumbnails
painting a brand new shed ... in New Hampshire ... in late October!-newshopconversion-mowershedaddition.png  

Last edited by MrRational; 10-17-2022 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-17-2022, 02:24 PM

9,648 posts, read 16,696,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I believe that stuff comes pre-primed and ready to paint. If you need to paint it now to keep your warranty good but don't know the color, put one coat of light gray paint on it. Then in the spring when you've decided on the color for your house you can paint the shed that color and it should look the same as the house.
That's a great idea, although I will likely use a cream color (gray, even light gray, would clash pretty badly with the garage nearby, which is dark brown like the rest of the house -- at least for now!). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^There ya go.

You've seen these pictures before. The garage stain finish over T-111 was put on ~1983.
What you see is the result of a good washing (brush&hose) and a ~2014 squirt of Thompson's.
Then the new STAIN.
Wow, that's lasted a long time. And boy, would I LOVE to have a separate structure that big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams has both paint and primers that work at 35 degrees. Some other brands go down to 35 as well, but I'm not a fan of the cheaper paints.
At 40 and below, drying time can be greatly extended so you may have to wait a day or two between priming and painting.
I'm pretty sure that the instructions for primers say to topcoat with a couple of weeks, so priming and then waiting until spring for the paint isn't recommended.
I think you'll be fine if you get a quality paint and prime and paint in the morning when the wood has warmed some, then it has all day to dry before night-time cooling and dew forming.
If it were my shed, I'd would make sure the first coat of primer gets as much drying as possible before second coat.
Quote:
^^^This!
First decide if your shed should be painted or stained. There are solid stains available in the variety of colors.
The advantage of stains - that they just fade away eventually where the paint would start peeling when old or when improperly applied

Hence a lot of people prefer stains on the exterior- the fading appearance would extend the immediate need to re-apply the coating for aesthetics reasons

If you decide to paint: read the directions on the particular paint and get a matching primer.
Primer have to be covered with paint -depending on the primer within 7-14 days.

If you only prime this fall - you need to wash/prime again in spring - better for final paint coat.

Prior to all that: you need to know what material your shed is made of - there are differences - some wood may require an application of wood conditioner before applying the next layer of protection like some stains

If you paint - depending on the material you may need to use specific primer with stain blocking abilities to prevent knots bleeding, etc

Right now we have a choice of good primers, paints, stains for low temperatures.

If you have access or someone could loan you a pop up tent - you could just stain, prime/paint - 1or 2 sides at a time - erecting a pop up tent over that side only to help avoid rain, dew perhaps even bugs if drying in cold temps.

Congratulations on a long awaited addition to your place!
Thank you both! I will have to go to Sherwin Williams THIS WEEK. I just have to get through Wednesday with work stuff, then can think about this more fun stuff!

Quote:
We expect photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
So, can we see a picture of said-pellet-she-shed?
It's a pretty basic shed, just a bit bigger than any other I've ever had. Here's a similar one, but you have to picture mine being a lot wider (20') with a double door (big enough to get a pallet jack through, and/or my riding mower), flower boxes on the windows, and surrounded by nice landscaping -- some hardscaping around the perimeter, then small flower beds. I can't wait to get started on THOSE THINGS next spring!
Attached Thumbnails
painting a brand new shed ... in New Hampshire ... in late October!-shed_10x20_2022.jpg  

Old 10-17-2022, 06:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,059,910 times
Some people recommended the products below.
https://media.benjaminmoore.com/WebS...rochure_US.pdf

Old 10-17-2022, 06:41 PM

229 posts, read 70,238 times
bottom line: how long does it have to last?

we bought an unfinished shed or storage building two years ago.
advice was to paint/stain it to last 30 years. we do not have that long.
well...not that long at our current address.
it is unfinished and unpainted and alright.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:03 PM
KCZ

4,482 posts, read 2,968,067 times
You need to know what the shed is made out of, and whether it comes pre-primed or not.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:00 PM

Default UPDATE -- the shed is in! FINALLY! Yay!!

The shed was delivered/installed/built YESTERDAY, Monday 11/21/22 -- that's only literally 1 year and 8 months after I bought it! It wasn't the shed company's fault at all -- actually it wasn't anyone's fault, as my regular contractors kept trying to get me on the schedule for the concrete pad but they couldn't make it in until September 30th . Then I had to get more paperwork done including a permit (free because the shed is less than 201 square feet AND meets setback requirements -- I sent my Code guy pictures and he sent me the permit to send to the shed company), then I got on the installation schedule. I teach 3 classes on Mondays but told my students we had to have class on Zoom as I needed to be home -- that was a requirement but really, I didn't need to be here. (It was fun to keep looking out my office window during breaks between classes to see the progress they were making! )

As it turned out, they DID paint the shed with one coat, then left me paint and supplies to do the second coat myself (I got a small discount for that). The exact color is smokey sage, which is a light sagey-taupe color (I love most shades of green, and might go with this exact color for the exterior of my house next year).

I've attached a photo -- you can see the mini-forest that is the perimeter around my property in the background. It's funny, when I look at the pictures I took, the shed doesn't look that big to me, but it really is 20' wide by 10' deep. (Wish I could have gone even bigger, but setbacks would have been iffy.) I still have to add the flower boxes AND do landscaping around it -- those things may wait until the spring, although I will get cardboard down on both sides and at the back to kill all plants/grass/etc., then I'll do hardscaping with pots of flowers on top. The shed is JUST off my driveway; there's about 8-9' of empty space on the left side of the shed (room for my riding mower to get through), then the side of the garage is right there on the left (perpendicular to the shed).

I've already started taking "crap" out to the shed but the big thing is that I have 8 tons of pellets coming tomorrow. (The delivery window is 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. -- UGH! ) If they don't bring a pallet jack (I've asked, no reliable answer -- they may just have a forklift) then I will likely rent one for $27.50 for a day so I can get all the pallets into the shed quickly -- otherwise, I will have to empty them all myself! It's do-able (I've done it) but not fun!

Well, that's the update! Fun Thanksgiving week for me. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday too!
Attached Thumbnails
painting a brand new shed ... in New Hampshire ... in late October!-new_shed_11-22-22_done.jpg  

Old 11-22-2022, 08:33 PM

10,013 posts, read 10,757,971 times
Looks good. Like the color.

Wow. They make you get a permit for a shed. I'd find that frustrating.

Where I've lived before, you couldn't have a building taking up more than a certain footprint percentage of your lot. So you weren't supposed to have a shed if you'd already had to many home additions that took up too much lot size.
But there was no permit for a shed per se.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Looks good. Like the color.
Thanks! I do too. Wish it were a BIT more green, but it's fine and goes with my current house color (dark brown). Exterior painting next year, I hope, and it will be some shade of green.

Quote:
Wow. They make you get a permit for a shed. I'd find that frustrating.
The permit wasn't actually a big deal -- took me <5 minutes to fill out the .pdf, then I saved it with my name and emailed it to my Code officer. (I know him pretty well from all the projects I've done around my house!) I thought he'd told me it didn't need a permit, but what he'd said was the permit was FREE but I still needed to send it in. So I did. He emailed me the approval within a day and I forwarded that to the shed company -- they wouldn't schedule delivery without it.

Most permits cost something, although it's never been much. I'd rather not have trouble later from unpermitted projects when selling (not that I plan to do that any time soon!).

Quote:
Where I've lived before, you couldn't have a building taking up more than a certain footprint percentage of your lot. So you weren't supposed to have a shed if you'd already had to many home additions that took up too much lot size. But there was no permit for a shed per se.
My lot is 1.29 acres, about 60% of which is my back yard (THE biggest selling point for this house -- I love the lot), so my 10x20 shed didn't take up much space, and it's in my right side yard, which is pretty much out of the way of everything. My previous house's lot was just under 1/4 acre, which is more a typical lot in my previous neighborhood (and some were half that). Where I live now, most houses are on 1/2 acre lots or so with a few bigger, like mine.

(I am still trying to figure out what to do with the back yard ... will undoubtedly come to C-D for suggestions on that at some point!)

=====

Oh, and it's not quite 8 a.m. and my 8 tons of pellets were DELIVERED, yay!! I was up before 5 a.m. and was dreading having to possibly wait around until 8 p.m., the end of the delivery window. The driver was great although didn't have a pallet jack ... I think I will try to manually move 1 ton's worth into the shed, then if that's too much, I'll go rent a pallet jack on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House