U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 03:05 PM

9,619 posts, read 16,636,212 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I am FINALLY getting my WOOD PELLET SHED after buying it back in MARCH 2021 -- yeah, more than a year and a half ago!! Because I'll be using it mostly for storage of wood pellets (my usual main source of heat) -- up to 16-18 TONS of them -- I needed a concrete pad constructed (the shed floor would not have been nearly good enough), but my contractor has been insanely busy. His workers were finally able to come and do the pad this past Wednesday (after clearing the site the week before). It looks great and I am very excited to finally be able to get on the shed delivery schedule.

Oh, the shed is pretty large -- 10' x 20'. It will be in my right side yard just off my driveway, which will be very convenient for wheeling in bags of pellets to my house. I will be doing hardscaping all around it (will lay down cardboard to kill everything over the winter), then small heuchera or flower beds a bit further out. I can't wait to work on those things next spring!!

But here's the issue for NOW. I know I am supposed to PAINT the shed very soon after I get it, but I will likely get it in late October or early November, when temps will probably be in the low 50s (maybe even high 40s) during the day and occasionally falling below 32 at night -- which, from what I've read, are NOT good temps for exterior painting.

I was thinking of just PRIMING it with 2 coats within a day or two after I get it (assuming the weather cooperates), then actually PAINTING IT in the spring. Could that work? I googled but couldn't find anything helpful except for info on temps for outdoor painting.

I've never done any exterior painting before, so I'm a bit clueless.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 10-14-2022 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: fix syntax :)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 03:12 PM

33,001 posts, read 77,510,542 times
Stain. Not Paint.

Old 10-14-2022, 03:13 PM

Um, OK ... thanks for the very quick reply, but please explain! And would I still have to prime first? And if I do, could I prime right after I get it and stain it in the spring? (Same questions as for paint, in other words!)

Not sure I CAN stain the material that the shed is made out of ... I bought it so long ago I don't remember the details (yeah, I'm feeling kind of stupid right now ...) ...

Old 10-14-2022, 04:07 PM

33,001 posts, read 77,510,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Not sure I CAN stain the material that the shed is made out of ... .
I assumed wood.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:25 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,076,218 times
Up here most of the exterior paint sold is good to apply down to 35*F. I forget how long it needs to dry before it's good for freezing weather but it isn't that long. Sherwin Williams is one manufacturer of this type of paint. Start in the morning after the temps come up to 35 and you should be good before they drop below that temp the next morning.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I assumed wood.
Good assumption, but I can't remember if it's right. The shed in my back yard is something called "smart panel" and I got it something like 15 years ago and it's held up fine -- in fact, better than the wood DOORS, which I will need to replace within the next few years. I may have gone with that for this shed too -- I have to find the specs from April 2021!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Up here most of the exterior paint sold is good to apply down to 35*F. I forget how long it needs to dry before it's good for freezing weather but it isn't that long. Sherwin Williams is one manufacturer of this type of paint. Start in the morning after the temps come up to 35 and you should be good before they drop below that temp the next morning.
Good to know. There's a Sherwin-Williams store in the town next to me so I may make a trip there this weekend and ask them about this! Thanks!

Old 10-14-2022, 07:36 PM

21,162 posts, read 6,847,512 times
Get some info on what can be done. Make sure your pint/stain/primer combination works with each other. Spray it!

Old 10-14-2022, 10:55 PM

8,338 posts, read 4,302,571 times
I'm still thinking about "16-18 tons" of pellets to heat a house...

Holy crap?

Old 10-15-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'm still thinking about "16-18 tons" of pellets to heat a house...

Holy crap?
Oops. Probably should have mentioned that would be 3-4 YEARS' worth! I can get a pretty large discount by buying a lot at once (at least that worked in the past) -- I just need a place to store them. It's been my garage (it's a 3-car garage), but it would be really nice to be able to PARK MY CAR in there, and this shed will allow me to do that.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:05 PM

30,870 posts, read 42,431,805 times
No advice on paint, but I suggest that you put some pallets between the sacks of pellets and the concrete floor. Concrete gets damp and those pellets are ruined by damp and they are no longer cheap so they are not disposable.

Large amount of pellets? Yes indeed. There is a price break with volume and they are much less expensive when purchased in the summer. Not to mention, it is nice to not have to worry about where your heat is coming from for the next couple of years. Right now, heating fuel is a bit unsettled and it would feel good to not have to worry about it for awhile.

Many of the suppliers give free delivery if you buy a large amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House