Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2022, 05:13 AM

533 posts, read 481,360 times

Advertisements

I have large cool humidifier. How do I clean it? How do I even search YouTUBE for this?

My concern is how to clean the blue lid

Where go I find YouTUBE video to clean large cool humidifier-8379563a-749e-4915-9564-719066254305.jpeg

Where go I find YouTUBE video to clean large cool humidifier-image.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 01:49 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
spray/brush some CLR cleaner, Lime Away, or Citric Acid on the mineral spots; soak and rinse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrUJsJv05Rk

To help in future, use Distilled or Reverse-osmosis water, and you won't get mineral buildup...

Old 11-06-2022, 02:38 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Can't really tell what the "blue lid" contains.

Is this an ultrasonic or evaporative humidifier? Does it produce that fine mist or not? Does the unit have a replaceable wick? If it does use a wick, it isn't an ultrasonic type, it's an evaporative type. If it's an ultrasonic type, be very gentle with the nebulizer disk so you don't damage it. The unit's instruction manual should tell you what parts to avoid damaging, what parts can be cleaned with liquids and what can't. If you don't have the manual, look up the make and model online and download one. This does not require watching a YouTube video, but it may require reading the instructions.

Here's what I've done to keep multiple humidifiers of varying designs clean:

1. Use distilled or reverse osmosis (often labeled as RO) water in the humidifier instead of tap water. You can find it for sale in grocery stores, some discount big box stores, even an aquarium supply. Call around for it. This will really help prevent mineral deposit build up. It is probably the most important preventive measure you can take. Be aware...most bottled, spring, or "filtered" water is NOT reverse osmosis or distilled. Learn the difference.

2. Clean the reservoir with a diluted bleach solution periodically to kill bacteria. A dilute solution is easily made: 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Rinse again until you don't smell bleach. Vinegar can also kill bacteria but the strength of the vinegar will affect how well it works. If you are using the humidifier a lot and refilling it a lot, the chance there's much bacteria build up will be lower. If water sits undisturbed in the reservoir longer, bacterial growth is more likely.

3. Rinse all parts that come in direct contact with water in vinegar. Then rinse again. If you do this often enough you probably won't need to scrub it with CLR or other lime removal products. Once you get such a heavy build up as those pictures show, it will be a lot more work. Mineral deposits will eventually damage the mechanism that produces the fog beyond repair. The humidifier will stop working and will be toast at that point. Buy another and take better care of it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-06-2022 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House