Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 04:56 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ammonia is considered a “base”. It is neither acidic or alkaline- it does not “etch”.
“Alkali is a base. It is a base that dissolves in water.

Ammonia a pungent colorless gaseous alkaline compound of nitrogen and hydrogen NH3 that is very soluble in water.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 09:22 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
“Alkali is a base. It is a base that dissolves in water.

Ammonia a pungent colorless gaseous alkaline compound of nitrogen and hydrogen NH3 that is very soluble in water.”

Not all bases are alkali but all alkali is base.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:06 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not all bases are alkali but all alkali is base.
I dunno...

Third Base?

IIRC, ammonia is more used as a buffering agent than alkali. I'm not totally remembering the cleaning action reason - I think it is saponification or a variation of that. Could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I dunno...

Third Base?

I’m still trying to get to 1st base!

Old 11-17-2022, 01:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
It's not a stain, it is a burn. Permanent damage.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

I think so too

Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Hmm well I guess if it's a burn and permanent damage, then trying the sealant again wouldn't hurt it further?
I guess it really might pay to have an expert come out and see.

In the meantime- isn't there a pretty bowl or vase you can place there ?
Said in jest but only partially.
wink wink

Old 11-18-2022, 07:23 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Try hydrogen peroxide. You might also try non-abrasive comet or Bon Ami or bar keepers friend. Those cleaners contain ingredients that break down various deposits. Do you homework first though and make sure it is ok to use those on granite. If that doesn't work, you have most likely more or less cooked whatever was in the Windex and it make have created a sort of crystalline ring in the porous surface of the granite. The only resolution may be buffing and polishing the granite to remove the ring.

Even though you will read that it is okay to place hot pans on granite, do not ever do so. Whatever may be on the granite such as spills or residue from where you were preparing food or even cleaning may burn and create marks and rings. Its best to always place something such as a privet on the granite and then place the hot pan on it.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:56 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Granite doesn't burn though, does it? Is it possible that the waxy sealant was scorched?

Old 11-18-2022, 08:54 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Try hydrogen peroxide. You might also try non-abrasive comet or Bon Ami or bar keepers friend. Those cleaners contain ingredients that break down various deposits. Do you homework first though and make sure it is ok to use those on granite. If that doesn't work, you have most likely more or less cooked whatever was in the Windex and it make have created a sort of crystalline ring in the porous surface of the granite. The only resolution may be buffing and polishing the granite to remove the ring.

Even though you will read that it is okay to place hot pans on granite, do not ever do so. Whatever may be on the granite such as spills or residue from where you were preparing food or even cleaning may burn and create marks and rings. Its best to always place something such as a privet on the granite and then place the hot pan on it.
Uhhh, I think you meant trivet. If you want privet (an invasive plant in Alabama) I can provide you with a lifetime supply.

My real question is "WHY granite, except for following the herd instincts of the wealthy?" I grew up around granite. I tore up my knees falling off a bike onto a crushed granite street. Granite makes great gravestones and rip-rap that will last forever, but using it for a countertop means extra care to prevent problems like the one in this thread, broken china and glasses, and regular warnings to kids and guests that can be a source of discord. The function of a kitchen is cooking and making food. If you want a wow factor, why not put in a stained glass window or some decoration that won't interfere with NORMAL counter uses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House