U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 09:29 PM

6,558 posts, read 10,408,051 times

Advertisements

We have a patio with a 15 by 30 pool.

Right now, we have chattahoochee around the pool and it covers the whole patio.
It is hard to walk on in bare feet.

Thinking of something else - not sure.

Any ideas? I'm in South Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 10:47 PM

22,271 posts, read 65,580,621 times
Kool deck. It is porous concrete, cleans up well, and easy to walk on. On sunny days, you can hose it down and the evaporation of the water keeps it comfortable for quite a while. I was very satisfied with ours. The only negative was a couple minor cracks that were the fault of the underlying concrete and not it.

Contact a pool store and the pool guys who clean pools in the area can probably give you a good idea who does such jobs and how good the results are.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:24 AM

Smile We are getting quotes

We have a pool service; finally, a good one! They come every week.

I am getting the pool surface done and it would be good to do the deck at the same time.

I will look into the Kool deck. That has not been mentioned to me but getting quotes now.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:17 AM

16,635 posts, read 61,397,687 times
If “Chattahoochee” (exposed aggregate) paving/decking has gotten to the point of being “hard to walk on in bare feet” is either a badly eroded surface (years of exposure), or a bad install (or you have extremely soft feet).

Before going to extremes of tear-out and applying other deck surfaces, I would contact the local Chattahoochee installer and have them assess the current condition and see if they can do a re-apply of epoxy.

But, if you’re over the exposed aggregate look- be prepared for a rather large bill to remove the existing and install another type of decking.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:57 PM

Smile Chattahoochee

I've been told chattahoochee is no longer the way to go as it was so popular in the 1980's.

It looks fine but I have been told if we are doing the pool surface, the deck needs to be done at the same time.

Travertine keeps coming up from pool people and my husband just showed me a neighbor's driveway (and pool area) are done in travertine.

My sister, however, told me travertine is not a good choice since we have stone on our home and it won't look good together.

The pool also has brick pavers around it and those would be removed as the deck runs right into the pool - like an infinity edge which I like.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:18 PM

16,635 posts, read 61,397,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I've been told chattahoochee is no longer the way to go as it was so popular in the 1980's.

Other people’s opinion!
What matters is what you like, and what your wallet can stand.

I see nothing wrong with exposed aggregate decking- it just needs to go with the pool surface color, and landscaping.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:31 PM

7,025 posts, read 3,769,822 times
Like you, I had different surfaces on the patio and the pool deck.

I decided to redo the patio because the surface was no longer appealing and decided to redo the pool deck at the same time in the same material, color, and pattern. The result exceeded my expectations. The entire area looks much better and much larger. The visual break between the patio and the pool deck is gone and your eye just sees one large expanse.

I had Pacific Stone Pool Deck installed, with a handmade pattern in the surface to look like individual flagstones. I am in central Florida and used https://creativeresurfacingsolutions...pacific-stone/ to remove the old surface and install the new surface. They have companies in south Florida that are affiliated. https://creativeresurfacingsolutions.com/

The surface does not get hot and is easy to walk on, while providing traction so minimize slipping on the wet surface.

The installation process is the most important aspect of this project. Without proper preparation of the underlying surface and correct slope for drainage, your new outdoor patio and pool deck will accumulate dirt, crack, and have massive puddles.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:42 AM

Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Like you, I had different surfaces on the patio and the pool deck.

I decided to redo the patio because the surface was no longer appealing and decided to redo the pool deck at the same time in the same material, color, and pattern. The result exceeded my expectations. The entire area looks much better and much larger. The visual break between the patio and the pool deck is gone and your eye just sees one large expanse.

I had Pacific Stone Pool Deck installed, with a handmade pattern in the surface to look like individual flagstones. I am in central Florida and used https://creativeresurfacingsolutions...pacific-stone/ to remove the old surface and install the new surface. They have companies in south Florida that are affiliated. https://creativeresurfacingsolutions.com/

The surface does not get hot and is easy to walk on, while providing traction so minimize slipping on the wet surface.

The installation process is the most important aspect of this project. Without proper preparation of the underlying surface and correct slope for drainage, your new outdoor patio and pool deck will accumulate dirt, crack, and have massive puddles.
The pool and patio now are all one with the chattahoochee - it's a large patio which used to be screened in but we lost our patio screen in Hurricane Wilma and no one in our neighborhood replaced them. Our home is much brighter without the screen. I love the light so I'm good with that.

We have to get an aluminum fence around the patio. No other kinds of fences are allowed.
It's 4 feet.

Anyway, we met with a pool deck guy today. My sister was also there so they got to chat. This work will be postponed until after Christmas now since the concrete pavers are on back order for 4 to 6 months. Travertine is in stock. Thanks for the link - we will check that place out.

The pool deck guy seemed happy with our slope and would install the new surface over the chattahoochee. He felt the drainage looked good. He did bring that up.

Pacific Stone was mentioned during our meeting so we will check that also.

The more we learn, the more we need to learn. It's fun though - I've been waiting so many years to do this. I want to do it right.

I'm the one using the pool. I want to get back to swimming. I was a swimmer on a swim team until I was 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House