U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 01:25 PM

13,789 posts, read 12,840,552 times

Advertisements

I have double pane vinyl windows 12 years old. Probably builder grade. Lower panel removeable/slant in for cleaning. When the light hits my upper panel the right way, it appears streaky. I do clean the inside and outside but the streaks remain. They appear to be on the inner, sealed surface. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 01:46 PM

22,292 posts, read 65,624,501 times
Replacement of the IGU or use a curtain or sheer to hide it. You can't get to the inside to clean.

SOME units seem simple to replace, but dimensions of any replacement must be exact.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:30 PM

6,599 posts, read 6,074,587 times
If there are streaks inside then you may have a broken seal on the panes. That should be addressed.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:46 PM

16,656 posts, read 61,440,821 times
Yep- broken seal.
You’ll have to replace the whole sash- if you want the best insulating properties of said sash.

Vinyl sashes are welded together- some wood and aluminum sashes can be “opened” to allow replacement of just the glazing unit. Not happenin’ with vinyl!

Old 11-18-2022, 07:38 PM

7,751 posts, read 7,630,220 times
I have replaced glazing in dozens of vinyl windows,very easy.they are glued into the finished frame and trimmed with vinyl strips snapped into a small grove . these strips can still be bought if you break one.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:21 PM

16,656 posts, read 61,440,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I have replaced glazing in dozens of vinyl windows,very easy.they are glued into the finished frame and trimmed with vinyl strips snapped into a small grove . these strips can still be bought if you break one.

Yes, you are correct. There are some better made that are designed that way- most of the cheap s#!t I’ve seen is not made that way.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:26 PM

17,199 posts, read 27,320,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Vinyl sashes are welded together- some wood and aluminum sashes can be “opened” to allow replacement of just the glazing unit. Not happenin’ with vinyl!
Not ours.
Ours (Amerimax Windows) are 11 years old.
We have had 1 glazing unit (seal failure) replaced under warranty. But, it took them 3 tries to get the correct measurements.
We have had 1 (installed incorrectly) replaced under warranty.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:45 PM

31 posts, read 14,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yep- broken seal.
You’ll have to replace the whole sash- if you want the best insulating properties of said sash.

Many quality vinyl windows have removable stops which can be removed to reglaze the sash.

Call a glass company to have a look. Sometimes you can take some pictures to save them a trip, if there are no stops there's nothing they can do.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:58 PM

54,542 posts, read 76,245,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have double pane vinyl windows 12 years old. Probably builder grade. Lower panel removeable/slant in for cleaning. When the light hits my upper panel the right way, it appears streaky. I do clean the inside and outside but the streaks remain. They appear to be on the inner, sealed surface. Any suggestions?
Use industrial strength vinegar and microfiber cloth.
Microfiber cloths are absorbent cloths that can be washed and reused to clean windows, leaving them clear, shiny and streak-free. These are best used to apply cleaning solutions to windows, scrub them clean and wipe them dry.
No streaks, guaranteed!

Pros use a lambswool tool that they rub across the glass.

The inner surface can't be cleaned, but the streaks could be "masked" by sheer curtains.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:24 PM

19,446 posts, read 13,063,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Use industrial strength vinegar and microfiber cloth.
Microfiber cloths are absorbent cloths that can be washed and reused to clean windows, leaving them clear, shiny and streak-free. These are best used to apply cleaning solutions to windows, scrub them clean and wipe them dry.
No streaks, guaranteed!

Pros use a lambswool tool that they rub across the glass.

The inner surface can't be cleaned, but the streaks could be "masked" by sheer curtains.
This won't solve the problem if, as the OP wrote, the streaks appear to be on the glass inside the sealed units! If the units are taken apart to expose those inner panels, cleaned, resealed and re-installed, it might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House