Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 11:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Regarding laminate, it is not a “trend” at this point. If you’re wondering how long it will last you’re going to be still waiting because laminate flooring has been around for at least 30 years and remains a viable alternative for those who like the look of wood. Wood is not practical in all situations. Wood is just one out of a plethora of flooring options out there. Lvp is perfect for bathrooms, laundry rooms, heck the entire house especially if you have pets and kids.

As for hardwood we have engineered and solid (can’t see the difference between them I might add). I think anything natural is timeless. Granite and marble will never truly go out of style.

When it comes to flooring I really don’t consider some faceless buyer down the road I get what works for me and my budget. Any flooring option if it’s quality is going to be pricy. I’m not a fan of hardwoods throughout. Bedrooms and the Rec room will remain carpet because that’s what everyone prefers. A rug doesn’t have the same feel as carpet with a good pad at least to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I could not agree more. The fake stuff is only more popular right now because it's dirt cheap and you can do it yourself.

I could always refinish my hardwoods to lighter or darker when I get ready to sale depending on what is trending at the time. There's no way that hardwoods are not more valuable.

I had a guy about 50 do mine. It was supposed to take 2 weeks. It took 5 weeks. It was a nightmare. I would so put hardwoods into a empty house before I move in next time. I would do so much different.

But, I know Oregon is a landlord/investor. So, that's a bit different.
Uh there’s dirt cheap “fake stuff” and then there’s quality “fake stuff”. You install dollar a square foot stuff you get what you pay for. What is the definition of dirt cheap to you? Also there’s some low quality Chinese wood out there.

Lvp is popular because frankly it looks nice and it is very durable. I had lvp in my bathroom and it was basically impervious. Meanwhile our dog scratches the hell out of our wood floor.

I like wood sure but I am not biased enough to not see the appeal of the other types of flooring.

Our last home had gorgeous laminate that was very thick and had the grooves and everything. It was glued to the concrete and installed by a pro.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:45 AM

7,567 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Regarding laminate, it is not a “trend” at this point. If you’re wondering how long it will last you’re going to be still waiting because laminate flooring has been around for at least 30 years and remains a viable alternative for those who like the look of wood. Wood is not practical in all situations. Wood is just one out of a plethora of flooring options out there. Lvp is perfect for bathrooms, laundry rooms, heck the entire house especially if you have pets and kids.

As for hardwood we have engineered and solid (can’t see the difference between them I might add). I think anything natural is timeless. Granite and marble will never truly go out of style.

When it comes to flooring I really don’t consider some faceless buyer down the road I get what works for me and my budget. Any flooring option if it’s quality is going to be pricy. I’m not a fan of hardwoods throughout. Bedrooms and the Rec room will remain carpet because that’s what everyone prefers. A rug doesn’t have the same feel as carpet with a good pad at least to me.

Ever since I got hardwoods I wear sturdy, comfy, warm slippers. Hardwoods are way better for people with animals. The difference between Engineered and regular hardwoods is just the number of times they can be refinished. A lot of 100 year old homes are continually sold with the original hardwoods. That's how long nail down hardwood floors last -- 100 years.

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/inter...o%2080%20years.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:36 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:

[b]When it comes to flooring I really don’t consider some faceless buyer down the road I get what works for me and my budget[/B]. Any flooring option if it’s quality is going to be pricy. I’m not a fan of hardwoods throughout. Bedrooms and the Rec room will remain carpet because that’s what everyone prefers. A rug doesn’t have the same feel as carpet with a good pad at least to me.
Not I! I even have hardwood in the bathroom, that's how the house was built. I just keep slippers by the bed, which I would do anyway even in a carpeted room. Because I'll at some point walk off the carpet onto a colder floor.

As to the blue sentence, I wish you'd tell the flippers that! So tired of seeing all these flipped houses with grey stick on flooring!

Old 11-21-2022, 09:03 AM

743 posts, read 876,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Not I! I even have hardwood in the bathroom, that's how the house was built. I just keep slippers by the bed, which I would do anyway even in a carpeted room. Because I'll at some point walk off the carpet onto a colder floor.

So tired of seeing all these flipped houses with grey stick on flooring!
You and me both! I've been looking at houses for my daughter and that grey/greige look is so overdone. I then look at what the flippers paid and then what they're asking after doing the gut/half ass remodel. It's crazy what they ask for! My concern is what did they cover up, and who did the work. Licensed? Probably not.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Ever since I got hardwoods I wear sturdy, comfy, warm slippers. Hardwoods are way better for people with animals. The difference between Engineered and regular hardwoods is just the number of times they can be refinished. A lot of 100 year old homes are continually sold with the original hardwoods. That's how long nail down hardwood floors last -- 100 years.

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/inter...o%2080%20years.
I have a dog and I'm afraid I disagree. Pets get incontinent and can damage wood floors. We rescue, and I'm not gonna tell you how many spills, sprays, vomit, etc. we've had to deal with. A woman in our rescue group had high end LVP installed and frankly, it looks damn good and easily handles pet stains. None of that rush to hurry up and tend to it. In fact, I'd wager a good portion of the folks in the rescue group have either tile or LVP, for that reason.

As for the refinishing thing, a good engineered can be refinished 2-3 times depending on the wear layer. If you buy a Floor & Decor "one and done' then you can't refinish at all because the wear layer is so thin. I have engineered, and it has a thicker wear layer that can be sanded. Besides, refinishing is a big job that'll only be done when we sell and we'll be long gone before one reaches the plywood beneath. Engineered can last a long time, especially if it is well cared for. BTW, we have the brazilian cherry as well.

I like wood flooring, but I also see the appeal of all the other options out there. Not to mention, the manufacturers keep coming up with new and better products. In fact, I think they've come out with an engineered wood flooring product that I think has a vinyl infused, making it water proof. Or maybe it's the core that's waterproof. But either way, I think the array of flooring options is awesome to have.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

As to the blue sentence, I wish you'd tell the flippers that! So tired of seeing all these flipped houses with grey stick on flooring!
The "everyone" I mentioned was meant to be "everyone in my family". Personally, and I'm just speaking for me, no way would I have hardwood floors installed in a bathroom. NO WAY. I'd rip them out, and after seeing the family's habits in a bathroom and the humidity and moisture, I don't want anything being higher maintenance than it needs to be. I have wood in a powder room, and even then, I feel that was a mistake after the toilet flooded.

In my market, I'd say 70% of the homes have carpet in at least the secondary bedrooms and game rooms. My family has vocally stated they want no hard flooring in their bedrooms or places where they sit on the floor (like a rec room). I guess there are still plenty of folks who like carpet because the carpet industry is still going strong and it's still at least $5 sq/ft to get quality carpet and pad.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
The "everyone" I mentioned was meant to be "everyone in my family". Personally, and I'm just speaking for me, no way would I have hardwood floors installed in a bathroom. NO WAY. I'd rip them out, and after seeing the family's habits in a bathroom and the humidity and moisture, I don't want anything being higher maintenance than it needs to be. I have wood in a powder room, and even then, I feel that was a mistake after the toilet flooded.

In my market, I'd say 70% of the homes have carpet in at least the secondary bedrooms and game rooms. My family has vocally stated they want no hard flooring in their bedrooms or places where they sit on the floor (like a rec room). I guess there are still plenty of folks who like carpet because the carpet industry is still going strong and it's still at least $5 sq/ft to get quality carpet and pad.
Sure, everyone has different likes

The older homes in my area have full hardwood. They framed the house and put the floors down before the walls even. So closets, bathrooms, kitchen, everything.

Most have been covered over as the decades went on. I uncovered both the bathroom and kitchen. I had to replace some of the bathroom as they also redid plumbing and just covered those areas with loose pine boards, then plywood, linoleum and at some point carpet (I removed that almost immediately).

There's only two of us and we're good about not splashing. If I had a few kids I'd probably think differently.

My parents house is newer and their kitchen and baths just had plywood subfloors. Friends who have built in the past 30 years have plywood subfloors in all the rooms that didn't get upgraded while building.

I have allergies and was pretty glad to remove the carpeting as I went along. Pet accidents are pretty bad on carpet too.

I guess I am getting old as sitting on the floor doesn't sound appealing any more

Old 11-21-2022, 06:37 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Where I live, site finished hardwoods are the gold standard of what is considered a nice floor.....very desirable. Yes, I see laminates, engineered hardwoods, tile and luxury vinyl but in expensive houses you will almost always see "real" hardwood floors!

Old 11-21-2022, 06:37 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A friend just told me that no one wants a hardwood floor any more. Hardwood floors make a house look old-fashioned,

So. Hardwood floors? Yea or nay?
Your friend is not very knowledgeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House