Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 09:27 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

A friend just told me that no one wants a hardwood floor any more. Hardwood floors make a house look old-fashioned,

So. Hardwood floors? Yea or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 09:48 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A friend just told me that no one wants a hardwood floor any more. Hardwood floors make a house look old-fashioned,

They are very popular in our neighborhood. Certainly more so than carpeting.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:19 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Hardwood floors are cleaner and easier to keep clean. Wood is more durable. Carpet holds dirt. Carpet wears out, especially in traffic areas. If you want to change the decoration style in a room, an area rug is easy to change and wood floors go with any style. Wood floors are classic, stylish and more appealing than carpet. Remember the green shag or pink plush carpet of the 70's or 80's? Ripping all that out and replacing it was dirty, smelly, and expensive.
Hardwood never goes out of style.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:12 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Horse manure.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:

Yay for hardwood. Those LVP floors that are currently the trend are going to look as dated in a decade or so as shag carpet and fake wood paneling on the walls.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:53 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Your neighbor has an opinion. Not all opinions are based in fact.

What catches my interest is there might be an element of ageism or a judgmental early adopter hidden under that. As far as floors making a place look old...

Old 11-19-2022, 12:12 PM

307 posts, read 255,896 times
Hardwood is very desirable where I live...in fact it was on my list of things I looked for in a house. The majority of the rooms needed to have solid surface flooring (preferably hardwood and ceramic tile...I prefer more natural based things). Hardwood floors are easier to keep clean and they aren't as cold as synthetic floors (ceramic is nice but is freezing in cold weather...we only have it in bathrooms and kitchens). I despise carpet.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:44 PM

I just pulled out all carpet and was replacing with vinyl plank. I was trying to find a vinyl plank that I like when I looked around and found a hardwood that I like for $3.95 a foot. The better quality vinyl plank is $4 a foot.

So, what the heck, I called my flooring installer to make sure he installs wood, and I am doing the entire house in hardwood.

I like vinyl plank a lot, but because I have been looking at vinyl plank all over the place, it occurred to me that the public might get over it after it is no longer "the latest thing" and they have seen it all over and gotten tired of it.

The "old fashioned" comment caught me off guard. but I know that the younger buyers don't seem to like wood of any kind. They want things to look like plastic, like the "white kitchen" cabinets that look like they are made of Melmac over chipboard, and they want furniture made of metal and glass instead of wood. So maybe they don't like wood floors either.

No matter. It is my house and I am getting the floors that I like.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:46 PM

Adding, I find it a bit odd that vinyl plank printed to look like it is a wood floor is the in thing, but real wood is not OK.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:28 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Adding, I find it a bit odd that vinyl plank printed to look like it is a wood floor is the in thing, but real wood is not OK.
Agreed, that is very odd. Grey-grained vinyl does not look anywhere near real to me but I see it all the time in real estate ads. Wonder how easy it is to remove from hardwood?

Oh and hardwood all the way here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House