U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 03:32 PM

909 posts, read 1,861,807 times

Advertisements

My 40 year gas furnace stopped working and the AC is also 25 year old and still running. Replacing both is $14k.

Does it make sense to replace both or only the furnace which cost $6600. The AC is stacked on top of the furnace.

This doesn't include ducting. Ducting separately is $6000 which I don't have to replace.

Many thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 03:52 PM

19,387 posts, read 12,993,660 times
Umm, I suspect no one can guess without a lot more details OP. What's actually wrong with the furnace? Did it handle the heating requirements of your house? When was the AC last serviced and what did they say about its condition? Are parts/supplies for the AC available if something does go wrong with it?

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-23-2022 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 04:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 24,250,274 times
If your a/c is also 40 years, it would not make sense to keep it. 40 years difference in technology is enough on its own.
14K is not that much out of line, depending on your area and labor rates, etc. Replacing the ducts also is "depending". You say it's fine, but have you inspected it? I crawled under plenty of houses where the ductwork was just a mess. Yes, air flowed into the house, but a lot wasn't insulted, and there were leaks all over. If you haven't cleaned your ducts, they are probably disgusting inside, unless the filters have been changed meticulously, and there aren't any leaks.
Get a couple more bids.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,058,871 times
I see you’re in CA. What type of model are we talking about? Need specs, like SEER rating and variable speed compressor or not?

I live in DC. I replaced a 3.5t two years ago with a 13 SEER Trane unit (ac and furnace). Sounds like we have the same setup (split system), where you have a compressor outside and a furnace inside. It cost me $7,500. Middle of the road unit, no variable speed compressor, no bells or whistles.

While my buddy in Newport Beach had to replace his about the same time. Same 3.5t load. His, cost nearly $20k, due to regulatory requirements. Where he lives, my unit would not pass code in. He needed max SEER and variable speed compressor and on and on. Those, cost a lot more…A LOT! It’s also install process differences. Had to seal up the system at the ducts, basically make it the most environmentally friendly to meet code as possible.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 2,236,553 times
I replaced my 3.5 ton system with a 14 SEER mid-range Goodman variable speed AC and furnace three years ago for $8500. I'm in Northern California.

I would get at least a total of three bids before you commit. I had two bids for $8500 and one bid for $10000. I went with the bidder who was already known to me as that company had been doing maintenance and repairs on my aged units for several years and are super honest.

Installer makes all the difference, too. When the county inspector came out, he told me that he never sees problems with the small independent company I used but he sees lots of installation issues with the Big Guys who are essentially production line installers who tend to pay less attention to details.

I'd definitely replace them both at the same time, especially considering the age of the system. It's possible to mix and match but at 40 and 25 years old, time is not on your side. Plus the newer unit may not match the old one without modification. I considered mix and matching as my furnace was doing fine but the AC was on its last legs. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:26 AM

4,873 posts, read 5,214,547 times
I am always amazed that people come on a national (or worldwide) forum and ask for pricing information on things that require a lot of labor and/or are subject to local regulations.

What is a fair price in an urban highly regulated market would seem like a ripoff to folks in a rural less (or un) regulated market. And if it is a market that is heavily unionized it will mean an even larger difference.

The only way to know is a price is 'fair' is to get quotes from local vendors in the given market.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:16 PM

This is the quote without ducting. It is a little vague for me as it doesn't list the name of the equipment I will be getting, just "industry standard".

I have been in this house for 6 years. We have not done any maintenance to the HVAC system. I have another company coming today for another quote.

Attached Thumbnails
Is k to replace 3.5 ton furnace and AC reasonable?-quote.png  

Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM

212 posts, read 104,696 times
Within the past month I have recieved two quotes on replacing a 3 ton system (heater and AC). Low was $8000. High was $9000. This was for the lowest priced system with single speed blower and 14 SEER. A more efficient unit was up to about 1.5x that cost.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:50 PM

It would be a 14 SEER system as required in CA. He said in 2023, CA requires a 15 SEER so I should do a 14 SEER system this year. For me a 3 ton system is only $500 less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
Within the past month I have recieved two quotes on replacing a 3 ton system (heater and AC). Low was $8000. High was $9000. This was for the lowest priced system with single speed blower and 14 SEER. A more efficient unit was up to about 1.5x that cost.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:24 PM

8,339 posts, read 4,289,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
It would be a 14 SEER system as required in CA. He said in 2023, CA requires a 15 SEER so I should do a 14 SEER system this year. For me a 3 ton system is only $500 less expensive.
Your quote for $14K to R & R your H/AC is crazy. It's STILL double, even if they throw in the new ducting.
See if they'll cut the price to $6200 OTD, if you pay cash.

They did for me, last year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House