U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 01:49 PM

13,777 posts, read 12,825,332 times

Advertisements

I dripped a bit of floor wax on my Corian counter top. I removed it with sponge that has a "course" scrubbing pad on one side. Now I notice I dulled the Corian especially when the light hits it as an angle. How can I buff/polish those areas which are about 2in by 2in? I googled it and got a method to do as large area. I am looking for ideas on a small are.

Thank

Last edited by johngolf; 11-25-2022 at 02:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 03:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,044,312 times
Sounds like it still has a very thin film of wax on it. Have you tried using something like a kitchen scraper or razor blade to clean it up?

Old 11-25-2022, 09:05 PM

16,642 posts, read 61,405,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I dripped a bit of floor wax on my Corian counter top. I removed it with sponge that has a "course" scrubbing pad on one side. Now I notice I dulled the Corian especially when the light hits it as an angle. How can I buff/polish those areas which are about 2in by 2in? I googled it and got a method to do as large area. I am looking for ideas on a small are.

Thank

The “size” of the project doesn’t matter- the process is the same. Fine, finer, finest, grit wet/dry sandpaper, finish with wool pad and a fine finishing polishing compound.

The thing is you’ll probably never be able to match the rest of the existing- so might as well polish the whole thing. Or, don’t make a big deal outa a 2”X2” spot!

Old 12-01-2022, 06:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,013,015 times
Quote:

Thank
Have you tried placing an adsorbent paper towels on that spot on the counter, then place a folded bedsheet you don’t mind trashing on top of the paper towel (the sheet protects iron from the gunk).

Then try to use medium hot iron - see if it would melt the wax and transfer it onto paper towels.
You could use higher setting on the iron to speed up the process - it says corian resistant even to cigarette burns

https://www.corian.com/IMG/pdf/perfo..._of_corian.pdf

Do several passes, changing paper towels often

Ask a manufacturer of the floor wax - what solvent would work for removal.
Then check with Corian people - if that solvent is ok for Corian - use it after you removed most of the wax residue onto paper towel as a final clean up.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-01-2022 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 01:20 PM

The issue is not the wax removal. It is I "scratched/dulled" the surface while removing the wax. The wax is gone, the scratches/dullness remain.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:35 PM

2,392 posts, read 1,013,015 times
Quote:
The issue is not the wax removal. It is I "scratched/dulled" the surface while removing the wax. The wax is gone, the scratches/dullness remain.
If your Corian is scratched - have you look for videos how to polish it on YT?

Some steps depends on color - from the manufacturer

https://www.corian.com/IMG/pdf/k-252...-polishing.pdf

Old 12-04-2022, 03:59 PM

I am going to call the Corian dealer (who installed mine) and pay them to "sand/polish" the section in question and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House