U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 08:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 2,752,965 times

Advertisements

Absolutely contact your inspections department. In most places this would likely not be permitted....however the requirements can very significantly!
For those of you that haven't pump your tank in 20 years.....as someone who tested tanks for many years I can assure you this is not a good approach! Count your blessings!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 08:36 PM

16,704 posts, read 61,581,593 times
Anybody know how to use the Search Box!?

For example-
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...cover-can.html

Old 11-26-2022, 07:36 AM

1,101 posts, read 340,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
We had ours pumped once in 42 years. Only reason we did it was because my son flushed a bunch of paper towel and they got caught on a rough spot on the pipe going into the tank. When we opened it, the guy said "It looks perfect, keep doing whatever you do to maintain it". If you put 'septi-free' or something similar in the tank on a regular basis you should not have any problems. I do it once a month.

mama house built in 1972, and never been pump

Old 11-26-2022, 12:45 PM

819 posts, read 755,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Anybody know how to use the Search Box!?

For example-
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...cover-can.html
This post doesn't answer my question... but thanks!

Old 11-26-2022, 03:43 PM

19,614 posts, read 13,239,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
For those of you that haven't pump your tank in 20 years.....as someone who tested tanks for many years I can assure you this is not a good approach! Count your blessings!
The use and conditions surrounding someone's septic tank vary so much. I've lived in areas with cold soils that can also stay frozen for weeks. The activity of tank microorganisms is pretty minimal due to those low temperatures. Dumping various tank treatments down the drain doesn't make much difference either. Never pumping out the tank would be idiotic.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 3,061,974 times
Before anyone can could answer this question with any accuracy, they would first need to know if the tank is metal or concrete.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:30 AM

819 posts, read 755,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Before anyone can could answer this question with any accuracy, they would first need to know if the tank is metal or concrete.
It is concrete

Old 12-03-2022, 08:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 3,061,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
It is concrete
Personally, my choice would be to use pavers since I believe they look better than a concrete slab, will tolerate movement better than concrete while offering maximum flexibility in order to get to any utilities below the surface should that be necessary at some point in time.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:20 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,844,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The use and conditions surrounding someone's septic tank vary so much. I've lived in areas with cold soils that can also stay frozen for weeks. The activity of tank microorganisms is pretty minimal due to those low temperatures. Dumping various tank treatments down the drain doesn't make much difference either. Never pumping out the tank would be idiotic.
Unless you're one of the folks that haven't any problem in 30 or 40 years... and there's a bunch of them.

Most people I know pump in preparation for a sale, or in response to other problems (ground movement, etc).

Old 12-03-2022, 09:53 AM

45,944 posts, read 30,816,158 times
The house we bought has a huge paver patio outback, with an oval dirt area around septic tank. We planted herbs, bulbs, and annuals on top, put a brown plastic mat over the hatch, and a small bird bath on top. It looks nice and it is accessible if something happens. There is absolutely no smell at all.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House