Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 05:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times

Advertisements

I have a water heater which uses gas,since natural gas price is not coming down,can I just shutoff the water heater in the summer so I take a cold shower,wash my dishes in cold water and wash my hair in cold water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 05:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your last line is the most important line in the thread, if it indicates you are hiring a licensed electrician to do the work.

I really dislike the photo and link and the SPST method.
A proper disconnect, let into the WH circuit near the water heater should be an easy task.
Seconded. High current on a wall-type switch is frowned upon. They have enough problems with appliances, to the point that using them in a circuit with a space heater is discouraged. Also, an electrician may balk, as a disconnect switch is supposed to be line-of-sight to the water heater.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
I did a quick search on water heater switches, and there appear to be remote switches you can control with your phone via wifi within the house, or with a Lutron remote control https://www.amazon.com/Water-Heater-...eater+Switches

Old 11-30-2022, 06:02 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have a water heater which uses gas,since natural gas price is not coming down,can I just shutoff the water heater in the summer so I take a cold shower,wash my dishes in cold water and wash my hair in cold water?
This is a different scenario than the OP's. If you plan not to use any hot water for months at a time, your choice. Do you have a bypass (the option for incoming water to bypass the heater entirely)? The manufacturer may suggest draining the tank if it will sit unused for that long, but in summer there wouldn't be a risk of freezing.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:33 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
If you have a tank water heater running on gas - yes you could turn it off for the summer.
In some locations the incoming ground water could be warm enough to be used as is without heating - especially if the incoming water pipes are in a hot Florida garage or attic

The map shows average annual temperature - it should be warmer in summer. Find yours

https://www.bradleycorp.com/sizing-t...r-temperatures

Before you turn off your water heater - familiarize yourself with the way your heater works and how to safely turn it back on - lit the pilot if it turned off or went out.

Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors nearby for your safety too.

https://www.mrrooter.com/dallas/abou...r-pilot-light/

Old 11-30-2022, 07:50 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Yes, you can easily do this - just be sure to keep using the hot-water faucet (only) for all those activities so that you get continuous flushing/cycling of the water in the tank so that it doesn’t become a stagnant listeria breeding tank!

Old 12-01-2022, 05:08 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
How do you turn it off?
Breaker. Only takes about 30 mins for hot water. It is so hot here that the water never gets cold anyways. 9 months out of the year i could go without it since the garage is around 90 to 97f.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:15 AM

605 posts, read 624,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Seconded. High current on a wall-type switch is frowned upon. They have enough problems with appliances, to the point that using them in a circuit with a space heater is discouraged. Also, an electrician may balk, as a disconnect switch is supposed to be line-of-sight to the water heater.

OK, so you don't like the idea of a wall switch at all, especially at the top of the basement stairs. You think the breaker would be better, correct?

Old 12-01-2022, 06:37 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
You should not use a common wall switch to turn on and off an electric water heater. You should use a contactor (relay) if you want a remote switch to interrupt power to a high power draw device like the water heater.

But the whole idea's silly. You're going to create a ton of work for yourself, including all the times you need to take a quick shower and then you realize you forgot to start the water heater an hour ago, all for a few pennies saving in electricity. You'd do better to insulate the hot water pipes. For that matter a closely-located tankless would probably save more in water by not having to run the water till it gets hot, than you'd save by all this switching-on-switching-off routine. What's really going to happen, if you get this conglomeration successfully and safely installed without burning down the house (which also means you're probably going to eat up all the savings by what you have to pay the licensed electrician), after going through your look-at-me-I'm-saving-so-much-money gyrations a dozen times or so, you'll get sick of the whole fandango and just leave it on.

Or you could just cut straight to the last scene of the play and drop the idea now, saving lots of time, money, and aggravation.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:09 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Breaker. Only takes about 30 mins for hot water. It is so hot here that the water never gets cold anyways. 9 months out of the year i could go without it since the garage is around 90 to 97f.
But that won't make the water in the tank 90-97 degrees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House