U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 02:45 PM

9,114 posts, read 5,143,537 times

Advertisements

Nope. I just had several walls in the bathroom replastered (found a 2nd generation plasterer) and then had the bathroom repainted. I made a mistake with the initial coat so the painter used flat paint, but it was corrected with a 2nd coat of eggshell; he didn't even charge me for it. Then the same painter fixed up my horrible steps to the 2nd floor master suite and painted them white. They look bright and clean now, even the ones where the previous owners' dog had obviously chewed on the bullnose.

The next project is getting the bathroom floor replaced with new, cushioned sheet vinyl, and having the basement floor redone with a concrete stain. I hate the "battleship gray" that it is currently painted, so it will be colored "Aztec Sand" which will make the space look much warmer and also go with the wall color better. Then the steps to the basement will be painted to match. Next year the kitchen cabinets will be repainted (the cheap paint the sellers used is chipping off); the countertop will be replaced; and the kitchen floor will probably be replaced too, although I actually like my vintage brick pattern vinyl floor. It coordinates well with my vintage gas stove.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 03:54 PM

4,134 posts, read 5,265,675 times
I'll be finished with updates when I'm dead.
Current project is a 3 phase, 12' deep covered porch, or veranda, which will encircle the house....about 3K sq ft total. I was doing good until I hit a rotten sill and rim joist. Scratching my head for a safe solution to replace them. 3 story house, joists are parallel, not perpendicular to the damaged joist.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:45 PM

17,319 posts, read 20,049,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What a waste of a perfectly good deer stand.

You will incorporate the table top?
Not following?

Old 11-30-2022, 11:28 PM

3,114 posts, read 1,094,891 times
I need a roof. A new air conditioner in a couple of years... I will probably have to do some additional work on the foundation issues/french drains, etc. Stuff like that.

Unless I move I do not plan any more major remodel work. I may not downsize because I cannot find anything that suits me (everything I see would need changes). Okay, I have seen 3-4 houses in the last ten years that I might have been able to move in and live with (in my future price range -- but, that ended with the big run up in pricing).

Old 12-01-2022, 06:43 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,632,543 times
I figure if I'm ever through planning updates, it'll be because I'm dead. No matter where we've lived, we move into stuff that we can't understand how the previous owners lived like that. And I'm not talking decor.

So today the countertop people come. Yay!

Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 AM

8,173 posts, read 6,022,185 times
I think we're done with the big projects, at least for a few years. We wouldn't let ourselves replace the rotting second floor deck until all the big essential projects were done - roof, hvac, windows, plumbing, pool work, basement floor/ceiling, etc. Got all that done and had the deck rebuilt a few weeks ago. It is magnificent and a house changer.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:37 PM

21,162 posts, read 6,842,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Not following?
Which one - throne or table?

Old 12-06-2022, 12:51 PM

3,397 posts, read 1,490,156 times
Just getting ready for the kitchen. Something I've wanted to do for years, but is always hard to do when you're living in it. Been playing around with a 3d kitchen planner... Not a big kitchen, but it needs to be light and bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Updates/Remodeling: Are You Done and Over It?-kitchenplan03.jpg   Home Updates/Remodeling: Are You Done and Over It?-kitchenplan02.jpg   Home Updates/Remodeling: Are You Done and Over It?-kitchenplan01.jpg  

Old 12-07-2022, 06:38 AM

46,387 posts, read 57,803,179 times
We have started saying, “Let the next owners do it.” Hubby had a bad year, physically, and I doubt if he’ll be able to do the things he used to.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:20 PM

5,447 posts, read 3,400,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have started saying, “Let the next owners do it.”
My sentiments, exactly.

I had my last house for 22 years without updating, just maintenance and repairs. I'm happy to live in an "oh so dated" home where I am more concerned with everything working, and not how everything looks.

I downsized into my current home about 3 and 1/2 years ago. The only thing I did on the inside was replace the carpet with laminate flooring in the bedrooms. Everything else inside is 1980s. Fine with me. Someday, when it comes time to sell, somebody else can have the "pleasure" of updating in their own image. Sure, I'll probably get less for it than a comparable updated house but that's no big deal as the house is paid for and I'll have the flexibility of taking less because of the "oh so dated" look.

That's right, folks, I'm making fun of people that just have to have the updates because they are already thinking about resale value as soon as they buy the house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House