U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 01:38 PM

9,937 posts, read 10,686,694 times

Advertisements

Anyone else pretty much know they're done with remodeling any more houses?

I love coming here to learn about repairs and projects, but as for major upgrades and remodeling I'm done.

I've overseen the remodeling of three homes over the years.
And as I've gotten older: 1) I've done pretty much everything I've wanted and, 2), I'm just at the stage where if I haven't done it yet, it likely won't get done. And I'm OK with that.

I just don't care that much anymore. Which of course I know is easy to say when all the updates are done already.

Maybe it's just that -- Lord willing and the creek don't rise -- I don't even want to think about having to manage yet another kitchen or bathroom remodel. No more trying to find a contractor for a major project who will show up, do good work, stay on schedule, and won't rip you off. No decisions about flooring, tiles, paint, lighting, fixtures, etc. I'm over it -- and done with it. And hope I don't have to pick out anymore furniture again either!

Just wondering if there's anyone else who's glad they're done with all that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 01:40 PM

4,142 posts, read 2,629,609 times
I'll give it until you move to a small town with lots of lovely old historical houses going cheap.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:53 PM

22,259 posts, read 65,553,443 times
I did my share. Found a design for a manufactured home that was about the best layout for a home I have seen, had it built with a couple minor mods, and I smile every day.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:50 AM

15,708 posts, read 14,051,770 times
Never did it myself. Working full time at a hospital with rotating shifts makes such work impossible. Wish I could afford to remodel our home. We would move out, have all cabinetry removed, remove all wood paneling, replace the electrical and plumbing, insulate underside of roof, install good insulation in all walls, remove fireplace and gas pipe for log starter, reframe doors so they’re level and better sealed (exterior), install return air vents from bedrooms for when doors are closed, install new cabinetry with soft closing doors, have large tv antenna mounted with lines running in attic to all 3 TVs in the home, and a whole home emergency generator connected to our natural gas system. Would also install new electrical outlets in the covered carport (GFIC) since there are no exterior outlets in the home except for the back patio. Would also have two 240 outlets installed in the covered parking in case we get a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle. We would keep the same floor plan.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:10 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,709,943 times
We’ve been redoing houses since we were married. Now, six or seven houses later, I’m done with most of it. Tiling is backbreaking work and I don’t plan on doing that anymore. I may paint a room or two in the future, maybe not.

With this house, I had a very generous budget to hire people to do the work, and we found a really good painter and tile guy, that was a big help. Still lots of things to go wrong, the toilet I had planned on putting in didn’t arrive in time, so he put the old one back. I’ll have to pay again in the future to put the new one in.

Things arrive broken, or they don’t fit and they have to be sent back, someone messed up the order of Roman shades for the house, so they had to reorder them, another delay, and we’re still living with the 80’s master bathroom because the plumber, who was a friend of our tile guy, didn’t know how to install the shower fixtures in the guest bath. Hubs says absolutely no one touches the master bath until we have a working guest bathroom, so I’m hoping to find a competent plumber this week. The fence guy is good, he’s installing a backyard fence, but he’s out sick, so I painted the fence posts to hurry things along. I painted all the baseboards and after they get put in, we can get our furniture out of storage, happy day.

Dozens of things have come up, I’m still doing the trips to Lowes and HD and the kitchen and master bath aren't started. Don’t even get me started on the permits needed in Florida for a small barn and storage building on the lot. It’s a confusing process with a lot of red tape. I can’t move forward with getting concrete pads poured until they approve the location. Another trip to their office this week. Yard and garden I’m doing, and after painting the front door, hubs will install the new hardware. It’s good to know how to do things, you can always bring out your DIY skills if needed.

The house is looking good, but things are far from finished. Ian is mostly to blame, finding guys to work and building supplies has been really hard. When we were picking up tile at the Home Depot a couple months ago, we had to make several trips, because they weren’t delivering at the time. There were gigantic piles of supplies outside with contractors and handyman all trying to get loaded up. Mass confusion, hard to find parking and huge piles of supplies, after Ian, there was an unprecedented demand for building supplies and contractors, I’ve never seen anything like it.

Being in charge of redoing the house has been a major learning curve and hubs says he doesn’t want to deal with the headaches. When one of the guys asks him a question, he just says, talk to her. The house we moved into hadn’t been undated in decades and Ian coming along just when we started redoing didn’t help. I recommend moving into a new house.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:11 AM

17,300 posts, read 20,039,961 times
Unfortunately we are not done. This is our 4th house- bought here in Montana 11 years ago. The kids were in middle and elementary school and we decided at that time to immediately refresh the lower bedrooms and family room and then stop and enjoy raising the kids. We left the upstairs in all of it's late 80's glory. It was functional and we used the kitchen daily so we left it alone.

Now the kids are grown and out and this March the demo begins, lol. We're gutting the upstairs, new kitchen cabinets, new wood floors, new fireplace, windows, trim, doors. We doing it in 3 stages over 2 years- trying to keep most of it out of pocket.

Setting up a temporary kitchen in the heated garage and moving all furniture to our shop.

Gonna be fun, eh?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:34 PM

21,162 posts, read 6,829,118 times
You can do it Threerun!!!

Time for serious updates here after almost seven years. The unused bubble tub has to disappear!!!

Old 11-29-2022, 06:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 2,223,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Anyone else pretty much know they're done with remodeling any more houses?

I love coming here to learn about repairs and projects, but as for major upgrades and remodeling I'm done.

I've overseen the remodeling of three homes over the years.
And as I've gotten older: 1) I've done pretty much everything I've wanted and, 2), I'm just at the stage where if I haven't done it yet, it likely won't get done. And I'm OK with that.

I just don't care that much anymore. Which of course I know is easy to say when all the updates are done already.

Maybe it's just that -- Lord willing and the creek don't rise -- I don't even want to think about having to manage yet another kitchen or bathroom remodel. No more trying to find a contractor for a major project who will show up, do good work, stay on schedule, and won't rip you off. No decisions about flooring, tiles, paint, lighting, fixtures, etc. I'm over it -- and done with it. And hope I don't have to pick out anymore furniture again either!

Just wondering if there's anyone else who's glad they're done with all that.
I don't really have any remodeling planned for the immediate future, but I certainly won't swear off doing it anymore. Why should I? If something needs done and I want it done, why shouldn't I get it done if I can afford it?

Now if you mean actually doing the physical labor myself, then nope, that's not going to happen. That's why I worked hard and invested my money when I was young... so that I won't have to be on my hands and knees doing that kind of stuff now that I'm retired.

Decision making and hiring (or firing) someone has never been a problem for me. I tell them up front what I want done and how I want it done. If they can't comply, then they'll hit the road and I'll find someone else.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:56 AM

17,300 posts, read 20,039,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You can do it Threerun!!!

Time for serious updates here after almost seven years. The unused bubble tub has to disappear!!!
It was originally planned to begin summer of 2020 but then all Hell broke loose. We decided to wait the supply line / price issues out and the fact you couldn’t find a contractor because they are all building new homes for the mass of humanity that moved into Montana.

If I ever run across Kevin Costner I’m kicking him in his jewels box.

Well it’s sub zero this week in a lot of places. This will test the new comers mettle, lol.

Edit- oh there was one thing we immediately did after closing. Our master bath had a pink toilet and a humongous pink soaking tub. Now I can stand a lot of things, but I’m not sitting on a pink throne. Ripped that puppy out and put in a Toto Drake in bone.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-30-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-30-2022, 02:36 PM

21,162 posts, read 6,829,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It was originally planned to begin summer of 2020 but then all Hell broke loose. We decided to wait the supply line / price issues out and the fact you couldn’t find a contractor because they are all building new homes for the mass of humanity that moved into Montana.

If I ever run across Kevin Costner I’m kicking him in his jewels box.

Well it’s sub zero this week in a lot of places. This will test the new comers mettle, lol.

Edit- oh there was one thing we immediately did after closing. Our master bath had a pink toilet and a humongous pink soaking tub. Now I can stand a lot of things, but I’m not sitting on a pink throne. Ripped that puppy out and put in a Toto Drake in bone.
What a waste of a perfectly good deer stand.

You will incorporate the table top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House