Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 09:26 PM

10,224 posts, read 6,694,683 times

Advertisements

Chances are, the local electrical power supplier may have a rebate/incentive for LED's.

If R & R-ing 500 units, this could be some money. Also, the power co has likely gone thru what works, and what doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 10:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,285,949 times
I got a few types of LED bulbs to try out as test. Besides feeling 90W-equivalent is a bit dim, the light came on instantly when switch is flipped. I was surprised.

I remember my last experience with LED bulbs was that it took a few moments for them to come to full power.

Has technology changed that this problem was eliminated? Or are there different types of LED lights that can have different lagging time?

Old 12-24-2022, 12:23 PM

5,830 posts, read 3,604,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I got a few types of LED bulbs to try out as test. Besides feeling 90W-equivalent is a bit dim, the light came on instantly when switch is flipped. I was surprised.

I remember my last experience with LED bulbs was that it took a few moments for them to come to full power.

Has technology changed that this problem was eliminated? Or are there different types of LED lights that can have different lagging time?
You may be thinking of some fluorescent lights which are shaped like (or similar to) a regular incandescent bulb. As far as I know, LED lights have always been almost instantaneous on.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Lumens is a measure of light output.

Watts are a measure of power consumed to create light output.

Color temperature is a measure of the color of the light emitted.

For generations, we've all compared the watts of incandescent tungsten bulbs, so we have a strong sense that a 20W bulb is dim, a 200W bulb is quite bright, etc. But actually, we should have been comparing lumens all along, because now we have compact fluorescent and LED bulbs, which consume a whole lot less power for the same light output. Now the manufacturers say ”9W LED, equivalent to 60W” which means ”equivalent to 60W conventional incandescent”.

In fact, some years before the compact fluorescents became common, there was a change to many incandescents (I believe it had to do with the nature of the phosphor that lines the bulb) that increased light output per unit of power input, but not as dramatically as the fluorescents and LEDs. So I have a bunch of 29W, ”equivalent to 40W” bulbs, which are still incandescents.

I'm sure that color temperature can affect our perception of how ”bright” a light is, as well.
The halogen incandescents use a bit less power for equivalent lumen output as tungsten incandescents. I like the color of the halogen light better than tungsten, which in turn I like better than LED. Let’s not even talk about that horrid thing foisted on people, a.k.a. compact fluorecents.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,285,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You may be thinking of some fluorescent lights which are shaped like (or similar to) a regular incandescent bulb. As far as I know, LED lights have always been almost instantaneous on.
I see; thank you. That eliminates one big concern for me.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:48 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I like the color of the halogen light better than tungsten, which in turn I like better than LED.
Traditional incandescent lamp with tungsten filament is 2700K.
Halogen lamps are typically 3000-3200K.
LEDs range from 2700K (warm, yellow) to 6000K (blue, white).
Buy the color temperature that you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House