Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 08:16 AM

712 posts, read 554,268 times

Advertisements

I have a family room that has no heat by itself. We have a wall-mounted gas space heater and an electric fireplace.

Here is my problem. I need to purchase a heater that has a thermostat that kicks off and on to keep the room around 65 as with this cold snap it has dropped to below 50 a few times. I have a room full of plants that I don't want to freeze.

There is no thermostat on any of my devices. Can you buy a device that you plug the fireplace in that will help us? I am kinda lost on what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 09:06 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I would suggest a tower heater- like a Lesco.

Ceramic heater, with fan for circulating, thermostat, and different settings for different functions- oscillating, fan speed, etc.

But, you need to watch your electrical capacity. Does the room have a dedicated circuit? Does the fireplace just plug-in, or is it hardwired? Is it on a dedicated circuit? Can the room be closed off?
Several things to consider before just throwing another heater in the room-

If you had included this info in your post it would have helped-

”We have a natural gas wall-mounted space heater that works fantastic. The drawback for us is the moisture it makes. Our family room was a porch/sun room when we moved in. It has 11 floor-to-ceiling widows and it is insulated but our windows aren't the best. We converted this to a room that we use as another room in the house. We heat this room with alternate heat sources. For 25 years we have used the gas space heater but I wanted to try something else this year and we got an electric fireplace to use. It has helped the moisture content greatly. But we have the gas space heater for emergencies if the power goes out. This heater will keep the entire house comfortable by itself. It has 3 settings and in all this time we have never used any setting but the lowest.”

Old 12-26-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I would suggest a tower heater- like a Lesco.

Ceramic heater, with fan for circulating, thermostat, and different settings for different functions- oscillating, fan speed, etc.

But, you need to watch your electrical capacity. Does the room have a dedicated circuit? Does the fireplace just plug-in, or is it hardwired? Is it on a dedicated circuit? Can the room be closed off?
Several things to consider before just throwing another heater in the room-

If you had included this info in your post it would have helped-
”[/color]
Just plugged in the wall. The electric fireplace has been running all day and the room barely reaches 65. If I get something different I won't use the fireplace.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Just plugged in the wall. The electric fireplace has been running all day and the room barely reaches 65. If I get something different I won't use the fireplace.

What is the rating on the f/pl? Does it also have a fan? If everything is comparable to a tower fan you aren't improving the bottomline- which is to make the room warmer. So, you'd either have to have "another heater", a much larger (More Btu's) heater, and/or improve the insulation. Or, the insulating quality of the windows.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:40 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Is this room drafty? I can’t imagine a well insulated room with a gas heater and an electric fireplace not keeping up working together. For a temporary fix get one or two tower ceramic heaters with thermostat. Down the road consider a mini split system for this room.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Is this room drafty? I can’t imagine a well insulated room with a gas heater and an electric fireplace not keeping up working together. For a temporary fix get one or two tower ceramic heaters with thermostat. Down the road consider a mini split system for this room.
I use one or the other. Not both. I am wanting to be able to regulate the heat all day.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What is the rating on the f/pl? Does it also have a fan? If everything is comparable to a tower fan you aren't improving the bottomline- which is to make the room warmer. So, you'd either have to have "another heater", a much larger (More Btu's) heater, and/or improve the insulation. Or, the insulating quality of the windows.
These are stickers on the back. Windows are not all that good.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:04 PM

https://cielowigle.com/blog/sunroom-heaters/

Some tips for sunroom heat. One article I read suggested under floor heat. Thermal drapes and area rugs also seemed to help. Don’t know how drafty is your room but some articles suggested baseboard heaters or oil filled radiator heaters, both of which are available with a thermostat. A long term fix would include a mini split system.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
These are stickers on the back. Windows are not all that good.

The fireplace shows 1400 watts. A large dedicated space heater will be 1500 watts and move more air than the electric fireplace you have.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:39 PM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Electric heat gives off 3.4 btu per watt …..typically the ones that fit a standard outlet are capped at 1500 watt .

A room without heat needs 15 watts per sq ft ….a room surrounded by heated rooms needs about 10 watts per sq ft as a rule of thumb.

baseboards do a good job when put on the coldest walls as they give a decent distribution of that heat.

Space heaters can have spotty distribution.

1500 watts of heat in cold climates really isn’t much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House