Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 07:24 AM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

It’s an HGTV series. Premise, you submit your home as the ugliest house. First 5 episodes the hose and camera crew tour 3 nominated homes in a region of the country. Each episode one home is awarded worst in the region. Sixth episode the overall winner is selected and receives a $150,000 renovation. The first 5 episodes are 30 minutes while the renovation episode is 1 hour. They just finished season 3. Previous seasons are available on demand.

What I noticed about some of these homes is the worst isn’t always selected. Some homes nominated were in such horrible shape that they would have needed to be demolished and a new home built. The winning homes didn’t require any structural repair work to make the home livable.

Some highlights include a home built with a red rock formation inside the home, homes entirely stuck in the early 70s, a home with red velvet wall paper in the bathroom, black toilet with white toilet seat, a home with high ceilings and no interior walls that goes up to the ceiling (think office cubicles), and a home that was disgusting because of all the left behind cameras in all the rooms of the house including aimed at the master bed on a raised platform.

What’s interesting is how these homes are converted into something one could now easily live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 02:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
We watched the first season. Yes, the winner is selected not because it's the actual ugliest, but based on the ugliest that meets Alison Victoria's time and budget for renovations. I'm not watching this year because I fine that woman Retta to be annoying with her overacting.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:33 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Lemme guess:

”We have to open this up”
”This all needs to be painted grey”
”Granite countertops will fix this”
”Sliding barn doors”

yep, am I right?

Old 01-12-2023, 10:45 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,775,949 times
^^^You are so right! One more thing . . . black walls, especially if she can paint the whole exterior black. Or like this season's "winner" - a black roof and black trim as the house body was brick.

Yep, it's gotta work with AV's personal esthetic. I find it's the most palatable if I watch it with the audio muted and the closed captioning on. Helps to tone down the over-the-top histrionics of the host.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:41 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
We've got a couple new monstrosities in our neighborhood (for reference, a bunch of small houses built 1939-1940 in brick and stone with a few frame houses), where the exterior walls use copious quantities of black corrugated metal for siding.

In Texas.

I don't even want to THINK about the AC bills.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:45 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,775,949 times
No kidding. It's bad enough with a tile roof like I have. But the walls? No no no. Then there's the noise factor in a heavy rain or hailstorm. I had a house with a blue metal roof like you see in the mountains and the noise, in spite of insulation, was much louder than I expected.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:39 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It’s an HGTV series. Premise, you submit your home as the ugliest house. First 5 episodes the hose and camera crew tour 3 nominated homes in a region of the country. Each episode one home is awarded worst in the region. Sixth episode the overall winner is selected and receives a $150,000 renovation. The first 5 episodes are 30 minutes while the renovation episode is 1 hour. They just finished season 3. Previous seasons are available on demand.

What I noticed about some of these homes is the worst isn’t always selected. Some homes nominated were in such horrible shape that they would have needed to be demolished and a new home built. The winning homes didn’t require any structural repair work to make the home livable.

Some highlights include a home built with a red rock formation inside the home, homes entirely stuck in the early 70s, a home with red velvet wall paper in the bathroom, black toilet with white toilet seat, a home with high ceilings and no interior walls that goes up to the ceiling (think office cubicles), and a home that was disgusting because of all the left behind cameras in all the rooms of the house including aimed at the master bed on a raised platform.

What’s interesting is how these homes are converted into something one could now easily live with.

I can't stand the host. I saw some episodes from season 1 and 2, they seem to be houses needing updates except the door/window house, another that had no ceilings, one with the atrium foyer with rock walls and fountain IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We watched the first season. Yes, the winner is selected not because it's the actual ugliest, but based on the ugliest that meets Alison Victoria's time and budget for renovations. I'm not watching this year because I fine that woman Retta to be annoying with her overacting.

I don't care for the host either. I do like Alison Victoria's show.

The budget IIRC is $150k which is not a lot of money when doing renovations. I agree that the winner is most likely picked because it's the "ugliest" where the fixes will fit within the reno budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House