Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 08:56 AM

10,583 posts, read 12,004,202 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.
I have a four-drawer file cabinet full of things I'd rather not have stolen -- financial papers, for example.
The drawers don't lock. So I'm considering getting a 4-drawer file cabinet locking bar.

Anyone have one?
Would you trust it to be a tough enough deterrent for the usual break-in....which I think is more like people breaking in to get TVs, jewelry and such. Someone who wants to get in and out quickly.

Before you ask...I have a safe, but ...1) it's in another part of the house.....2) I'm in and out of this cabinet a lot and want easy access or me, just not someone else.

So that's why I'm thinking of getting the locking cabinet bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 09:15 AM

19,368 posts, read 27,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Thanks in advance.
I have a four-drawer file cabinet full of things I'd rather not have stolen -- financial papers, for example.
The drawers don't lock. So I'm considering getting a 4-drawer file cabinet locking bar.

Anyone have one?
Would you trust it to be a tough enough deterrent for the usual break-in....which I think is more like people breaking in to get TVs, jewelry and such. Someone who wants to get in and out quickly.

Before you ask...I have a safe, but ...1) it's in another part of the house.....2) I'm in and out of this cabinet a lot and want easy access or me, just not someone else.

So that's why I'm thinking of getting the locking cabinet bar.
Instead of a bar or locking file cabinet, get a scanner. Or an app on your phone that will be a scanner. Upload to the cloud. Make a backup and put it in your safe. Them shred the paper.

Or lock your credit reports and stop worrying about it. Come to that, locking your credit reports today!

Old 01-14-2023, 01:04 PM

17,415 posts, read 65,584,777 times
^^^^ yeah!
Flash drive, shred, and relax.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:41 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,018,332 times
Most File cabinet locking bars that I have seen have been custom added, usually by welding brackets and hasps to the cabinet. They look like what they are, a heavy duty industrial protection system that belongs in a gov't office or a factory. If you need to keep the hard copies available (instead of digitallizing them as others have suggested) I would spend the bucks and get a good locking file cabinet

Old 01-14-2023, 06:31 PM

22,892 posts, read 18,183,801 times
Is this file cabinet in a room with a door? What about a locking doorknob? OTOH, you can probably pick up a locking file cabinet from a business sale or second hand store quite easily.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:38 PM

133 posts, read 207,768 times
You can even skip the cloud. I keep my important docs on 3 different flash drives (anyone saw one failing?)

Old 01-14-2023, 10:25 PM

10,583 posts, read 12,004,202 times
Apparently, no one has had experience with the bar.

1) I like paper copies.
2) The least expensive 4-drawer locking cabinet I've seen (new) online is $179.

So let me see..... I can get a bar for $40...or a new cabinet for $179+tax, S&H.
I'm not digging and searching all over the Internet to find a used locking 4-drawer cabinet when I can get a bar delivered to my door for $40.

Thanks for the replies.
Suggestions regarding scanning duly noted.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:05 AM

16,984 posts, read 21,655,592 times
The bar is going to make you feel "safer" then do it but in reality it will draw attention to the cabinet (ohh look that's were the gold bars are!")

99% chance that bar can be popped off using a crow bar as leverage.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Maybe a yapping little dog and a Glock 17?

Old 01-15-2023, 09:22 AM

5,102 posts, read 6,018,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Apparently, no one has had experience with the bar.

1) I like paper copies.
2) The least expensive 4-drawer locking cabinet I've seen (new) online is $179.

So let me see..... I can get a bar for $40...or a new cabinet for $179+tax, S&H.
I'm not digging and searching all over the Internet to find a used locking 4-drawer cabinet when I can get a bar delivered to my door for $40.

Thanks for the replies.
Suggestions regarding scanning duly noted.

I mentioned the bars that I had seen in use. I have not seen commercially available ones. (I would suspect the quality of one that was available for $40) Anything lightweight will just draw attention to the fact that there is something worth locking up inside and although it is just papers that have no immediate commercial value they won't know that until they rip it open.

I would buy the locking file cabinet. It looks 'normal' so won't draw attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House