Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM

681 posts, read 2,349,900 times

Advertisements

I think there's a big difference between upholstered and wood pieces and many mid-range manufacturers make excellent sofas and chairs. I have Broyhill upholstered pieces and love them - they are well-padded, have held up well to daily use and they don't have to cost and arm and a leg.

However, I will spend good money on wood pieces. Most new wood furniture on the market have veneered surfaces, even the high-end pieces. I don't like this because I've seen veneered wood develop shiny patches for areas that were exposed to constant touch. I've purchased solid wood pieces at antique sales and through artisan vendors who custom-made furniture. If you are looking at china hutches or entertainment, consider doing a solid-wood built-in from a quality cabinet maker, like Medallion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
I wouldn't worry about good vener furniture. The engish furniture makers have used vener for years in order to match door panls on cabinets etc. Also you will find that sometimes the use of vener is so that they can make a peice with very good graded wood. Much of the mahogany and cherry is pretty poor unless vener is used.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,584,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
I've seen veneered wood develop shiny patches for areas that were exposed to constant touch.
We have a pair of cherry nightstands by Century that have developed a dulled area (extremely tiny surface scratches) just from a bedside book being constantly picked up/put down every night for six years. It's really noticeable in certain lights. I always assumed these were solid cherry because they weren't exactly cheap at $1800 each.... but now I wonder if they are indeed veneered? They don't look like it though, when looking closely at the opened drawer front for instance.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 AM

681 posts, read 2,349,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
We have a pair of cherry nightstands by Century that have developed a dulled area (extremely tiny surface scratches) just from a bedside book being constantly picked up/put down every night for six years. It's really noticeable in certain lights. I always assumed these were solid cherry because they weren't exactly cheap at $1800 each.... but now I wonder if they are indeed veneered? They don't look like it though, when looking closely at the opened drawer front for instance.
That sounds like the urethane finish is wearing off those areas. You can have a furniture or cabinet refinisher fix this for you. I'm typing right now from a solid oak kitchen table and there are a few patches were the urethane finish has worn off, leaving a dull bare wood area. I plan on refinishing this table myself when the temperatures go a bit lower.

Veneered wood is not cheap either and it looks beautiful. This is not the same stuff that you'll see at WalMart - you know, edges peeling off and looking plastic. Good veneers enhance the finish and are truly seamless. I think most buyers would love it. However, I don't know how to refinish veneered wood and so for this, I like pieces that I can sand and refinish if needed.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM

26 posts, read 141,606 times
Default Drexel...

Isn't what it used to be. This I know to be true. I would not buy any product with veneer, if you can help it. But as someone suggested above, you can refinish it and then you won't have the problem.

Sumter Furniture is solid wood. Good stuff. I love Pennsylvania House, but they are no more... now owned by Universal. :-(

Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,328,524 times
What is your price range?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,578 times
I have a coffee table missing the glass top made by Drexel Heritage. Very unusual design. Curved pieces that are attached to the corners and meet in the middle. It does have a cloth tag on the bottom stating Drexel Heritage, appears hand signed by the inspector, and it is numbered. Also has Grand Tour in black paint on the bottom. Very light in weight for a hardwood. Would like to know what kind of wood and the value of this piece. Just curious what I have. Any info ? ? ? Thank You

Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWS511 View Post
I have a coffee table missing the glass top made by Drexel Heritage. Very unusual design. Curved pieces that are attached to the corners and meet in the middle. It does have a cloth tag on the bottom stating Drexel Heritage, appears hand signed by the inspector, and it is numbered. Also has Grand Tour in black paint on the bottom. Very light in weight for a hardwood. Would like to know what kind of wood and the value of this piece. Just curious what I have. Any info ? ? ? Thank You
Try ebay or craigslist.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,421,236 times
I did a house in Stickley furniture.... It is all made in Manlius, NY.... (you can tour the factory). They grow their own forests for the wood. Will last you the rest of your life. Unfortunately Willet went out of business.
Unfortunately much of the mass-produced stuff is produced overseas. I have noticed that Pennsylvania House took a real tumble in quality (inherited pieces from the parents, and they don't make them like that anymore). Harden is probably ok. Henkel-Harris is good. Ethan Allen is mostly imported, and way overpriced for what it is.
You can get antique pieces, have them restored, and it won't cost any more than a new decent-quality piece.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,867,669 times
La-Z-Boy. Affordable, quality, made in the USA

Furniture - La-Z-Boy Sofas, Chairs, Recliners and Couches - Find a Furniture Store - Official La-Z-Boy Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House