U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 AM

73 posts, read 338,959 times
Default Paint that kills mold?

I heard from a friend of a paint/primer that kills mold that you can paint directly onto the surface. Does anyone know what this is or if it works? My friend could not recall the name. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,245,653 times
Painting over mold will not cure the problem. You need to find what is causing the problem and remove that first

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM

43,976 posts, read 53,863,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchambers View Post
I heard from a friend of a paint/primer that kills mold that you can paint directly onto the surface. Does anyone know what this is or if it works? My friend could not recall the name. Thank you!
It's called Kilz -it is to prevent mold and is a primer. If you have mold you must first use a clorox solution - 1 part clorox 2 parts water I believe, to kill the mold, then paint.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:09 PM

630 posts, read 1,178,562 times
I agree with QC. Rip out the walls or whatever it takes to find and fix the problem. Whats the point of repainting if it will just appear again plus whatever negative health side effects come along with it.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,180,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Painting over mold will not cure the problem. You need to find what is causing the problem and remove that first
I agree. My sister rented a house which looked to be in great shape new paint and new carpet, cosmetically redone. Come to find out after a short time living there she and her sons became very ill and a little while after that the mold started seeping through the wall and growing on her clothes and shoes. It was disgusting. Needless to say this was a problem before she moved into the house and the homeowner covered it up. In the end the homeowner is liable and if my sister where the type to sue she probably would have won but she just wanted out. Now she and her children have problems with asthma.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Yikes, that is scary stuff. How do I find out if the mold problem is serious?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Sorry, I should have given more specific info. The issue with mold is in our (one) bathroom. We do not have a fan to ventilate and live in a historic bungalow (circa 1928). We have tried to clean it and sometimes it seems that there are stains rather than new mold. But lately I have seen new black spottings on the walls. We have lived here for five years and only recently have I noticed a change (and our friends commented on it when they were visiting and used the bathroom). Thoughts?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 PM

If you haven't found where its coming from, it's serious. If nothing has been fixed like the roof or a gutter or something. It won't get any better on its own for the most part.

Where in the house is the mold? Is there plumbing or drain lines behind it, or a shower or sink upstairs above it?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
If you haven't found where its coming from, it's serious. If nothing has been fixed like the roof or a gutter or something. It won't get any better on its own for the most part.

Where in the house is the mold? Is there plumbing or drain lines behind it, or a shower or sink upstairs above it?
The mold (or mildew...what is the difference and is one better/worse than the other?) is in our bathroom. It is a Jack-and-Jill bathroom adjoining the two bedrooms in our home. The bathroom has a sink, toilet, and claw foot tub with shower attachment. I think the issue is simply the dampness from the shower. There is no ventilation fan and the only window has been painted shut for some time.

I have not seen mold/mildew in any other area of the house and we have been here for five years.

Thanks so much for your advice everyone.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM

You need to install a fan. Put a timer light switch on it (they are like $15) and have it run for 15 minutes longer than the shower. When you make the hole for the fan in the ceiling you'll be able to see if its truly surface mold or if you need to rip out the walls and ceiling.

If you have to rip out the walls (which it sounds like you might have to), you might strongly consider using concrete backer board around the shower (even if its a 1 piece plastic shower) vs the green drywall. The green drywall is not waterproof and cannot be used where it will be subjected to water. You should use the green drywall for the rest of the bathroom though.

Even though it seems like alot of work, you'll notice a big difference and probably even breathe easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House