U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 162,064 times

Advertisements

I was able to elevate the line going into the garbage disposal as much as possible. There actually was a little opening at the top of the thin backing, or backside, of the cabinets. So, the dishwasher drainage hose was actually going upward and through a small hole in the back of the cabinet, then, just about straight over to the garbage disposal. So, I pulled a little bit more of the slack that was in the hose through the small hole in the back, and used a heavier duty plastic fastener to attach it to the primary (sink) drainage pipe going out of the house. The dishwasher drainage line now goes down and has to ascend back upward to the garbage disposal. Now, I have more of a loop in the line going into the garbage disposal from the dishwasher. I have run the dishwasher cycle twice and it looks alot better. Still not totally clear, but, I might be out of the woods. I think the builder probably put in the cheapest dishwasher he could find to save a few dollars. Maybe I have bought myself another year, at least, on getting some use out of what I have?! Thank you very much Big Jon for your assistance with this. It is very much appreciated. By the way, I had no luck in finding the installation manual for a GE Nautilis dishwasher, the GSD 2200. User manuals are easy to find, but installation manuals? - no luck. If you find one, I'd love to have a copy. Thanks again Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM

5,270 posts, read 11,758,134 times
We don't have an air gap - when we did have one in our kitchen (before remodel), we would also have backup sometimes from the dishwasher....I don't like how icky the mineral build-up gets around those air gaps and I didn't want a hole in the graniite for the metal airgap. Our installer looped to the top of the underneath part of the counter the drain from the dishwasher into the garbage disposal....the kitchen is 3 years old and there is absolutely no back-up ever, no noise when the dishwasher drains - it is absolutely perfect....I will never have another one of those noisy, messy, ugly silver thingies again.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 PM

27,234 posts, read 21,021,038 times
Now because it never closed you need to run straight bleach through it...like 1/2 cup in the water. You might have gunk built up on the check valve not allowing it to close since it probably never really sealed like ti should have. After doing that and it's still does it I would question the check valve.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Now tell me Jon, where exactly is the check valve located? As part of the disposal or part of the dishwasher? In other words, which end of the hose? I don't have an installation manual or schematic picture of the set-up, plus, this is only the third dishwasher I've ever had not to mention the first I've tried to work on.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Should be at the DW side of the hose. If you take the front bottom panels off where the hose connects to will have the check valve in it. Without knowing a model or brand that's about as close as I can get. The height of the water helps force the valve shut......If it's level the only for being applied is the height of the hose it's self.....if it's 20 inches high you have the total weight of that water forcing down on the check valve.

Pretty rare for one to go bad IMO but not having the high loop may have lead to it if it's truly bad.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 PM

I have a GSD 2200 - General Electric dishwasher. The hose has always been at a high level because it runs from the bottom of the washer through that hole in the back of the cabinets. I just added an extra downward loop, so to speake, before it went into the garbage disposal. So, I am not sure it really helped. Maybe my checkvalve is bad? I guess I could always call the customer support number in the manual but I need a installation manual to try and do it myself.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM

http://products.geappliances.com/ProdContent/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SKUOBJECTS&DOCUMENT=Use%20and%2 0Care%20Manual&SKU=GSD2250FCC (broken link)
Part Detail
gsd2200 Parts List

All I needed was a model number
Attached Thumbnails
Garbage disposer backing into dishwasher-00003715.jpg  

Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Thanks again Jon

Thanks again Big Jon. I will look this stuff over!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Check valves

Which check valve do you recommend? Looks like two different ones? Will either one work. Doesn't look like they attach to the hose but maybe they do?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Probably inside a housing you may have to take it apart to see which one for sure. I never worked on one of those models.

Before all that thought make sure the GD is clean and clear also. Put about 6-10 cubes of ice in it with a little bleach and dish soap and turn it on then run hot water till it goes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House