U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 AM

380 posts, read 1,506,455 times
Question closets in master bathrooms

Sorry for yet another question from the home search . . .

We see lots of homes (mostly newer) with clothes closets inside the master bathroom. It will be a good sized bathroom, and the closets are usually, thought not always, walk-in, closets or at least pretty good sized closets.

We're wondering if people have problems with mold accumulating in/around the clothes with all the hot steam from the showers? Even with the bathroom fan on, I'd imagine it would get steamy in the closet too. They all have windows we could open to help air it out, but that could get cold in the winter.

Has anyone had this problem or is this another non-issue I'm worried about? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
We had a set up in one house where you walked into the closet and then the bathroom was through another door in the closet. We didn't like it. We were only living there temporarily but we could tell that the steam and whatnot from the bathroom was not going to do our things in the closet any good, especially in the spring/fall when it wasn't warm enough to have the A/C on but was plenty humid. I wouldn't go that route ever again.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
Generally, most "walk-in" closets will have a register (HVAC vent) in them. So, the space would be "conditioned" space. A moisture problem would be rather remote.
Even the bath itself should have a register.
I think you have found a "non-issue"- If the HVAC is working properly and there is not an unusual amount of moisture buildup from a shower, everything should be O.K.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
My master bedroom has a double wide doorway heading out into the rest of the house and normal doorway leading into my masterbath. In the first part of the bathroom is a double vanity, garden tub, small towel closet AND double doors leading into the HUGE walk in closet. Then through another doorway is the shower (a pocket door) and the toilet, then there is a door that leads outside. There are AC vents in all these areas including the closet AND two of those shower fans meant to vent the humid air to the outside.

Its VERY humid here and I have never had a problem. In fact there is MORE of a humidity issue in the garage then there is here in my bathroom area.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 AM

380 posts, read 1,506,455 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback, that was very informative.

Hopefully, though, we won't need the info since we put an offer on a house yesterday that didn't have the closet in the bathroom -- and it was accepted! Fingers crossed inspections, etc go smoothly and we don't have to restart the home search and look at more closets in bathrooms.

Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
I agree with you that a walk in closet not entered thru the bathroom are better. Also very convenient compared to walking thru the bath when dressing and the wife/hubby is taking a bath or shower.Mositure is a thing to be avoided.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
I've had three different houses with closets off the bath and never had a problem.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 PM

308 posts, read 1,073,543 times
Our house built in the 70's has two walk-in closets in the bathroom (not walk thru closets to the bathroom). We've never had a problem with them, other than the cats who like to sleep in them which tends to accumulate great amounts of their fur. We do have vents in each closet though, so as a previous poster suggested, this likely helps considerably.

G'luck with the new offer!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,821,903 times
We have a new house, and our walk-in closet is in our bathroom - I love it!

In fact, my husband has his dresser in the closet as well, and it makes so much sense.

Our closet is very big and has its own door and heating/AC vent.

We've had no problems with moisture.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 AM

2,240 posts, read 6,871,194 times
I LOVE my closet being in the master. You walk into the master and then turn right and there is a door with a walk in closet. Love it. Large bathroom and doesn't take up space in our bedroom, which I love. Never had a problem with the closet getting steam or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House