Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,762,578 times

Advertisements

The high ceilings. They range from 9 to 12 feet, depending on which room you're in. All the windows downstairs have a transom above too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:48 PM

327 posts, read 937,948 times
Thumbs up Don'ts and dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Well....I want our new home to convey a light,open,breezy,atmosphere.
Light and bright! Thats why Im going for the cottage/beach/modern
look. I want It to be casual and comfortable! I hope!

Greenchili
Sounds good to me.
Don't give up on your hope. But don't just hope. Do your homework. Learn your market. Best to your adventure!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,217,887 times
My home is an old brick Georgian and I love the fact that the house is laid out well, has a radial foyer and is on a large flat lot. I also love my neighborhood and neighbors. They add to the charm of my home!!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,247,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My home is an old brick Georgian and I love the fact that the house is laid out well, has a radial foyer and is on a large flat lot. I also love my neighborhood and neighbors. They add to the charm of my home!!
We should be neighbors, LOL! Your home sounds lovely! I have always wanted a radial foyer. And you are so right . . . what a blessing to have wonderful neighbors . . .

Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,800,118 times
I like it when a house says "Come on in, enjoy, relax... welcome HOME!"... that's why I am building a custom house with a mediterranean look... regardless of what the houses next to me look like... cause the house is speaking to me and me alone... besides there is a 6 feet wall around it so that people need not judge my house... it is MY house an is reserved for MY judgment...

Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,217,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We should be neighbors, LOL! Your home sounds lovely! I have always wanted a radial foyer. And you are so right . . . what a blessing to have wonderful neighbors . . .
Come on! I'd love to have you as a neighbor!!! The more the merrier!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,064,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
Every house like an individual has its personality and character. What do you like about your house?
It's cheap and paid for.

My philosophy is that a house is a place to sleep, eat and go to the bathroom. Everything else is optional.

I'm very comfortable in my humble little home. And knowing that it is 100 percent all mine makes it all the sweeter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,033,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My philosophy is that a house is a place to sleep, eat and go to the bathroom. Everything else is optional.
Wow, I was gonna guess you're an unmarried man, but you're actually a married woman!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:57 PM

323 posts, read 1,967,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, I was gonna guess you're an unmarried man, but you're actually a married woman!
My mother has had the same philosophy for as long as I can remember - more than 40 years. Mobile home, trailer, apartment, house... whatever - if it keeps the rain off it's just fine. No idea where I got my desire to have a nice house I'll agree with 20yrsinBranson on one thing, though - it's nice to have it paid off!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,064,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I guess a lot of it had to do with the fact that as a child my parents and I moved around A LOT (I went to 14 different schools between grades 1 and 12). There were times when we did not live in a particular house more than a month or two. Needless to say the concept of having attachments to houses was not a part of my reality. Even as an adult my first husband was career military and we lived in on-base housing and moved frequently so everything was very temporary.

I live in a rural location and have a very small "farm", I guess you could call it. I spend a lot of time outside working and we do not "entertain", so having a clean, functional home is our main concern and priority. I visit other people's houses as part of my job as an insurance inspector and I admire how very nice some of them are, but that lifestyle is not for me. I don't have the time or interest in keeping up with "fiddly" stuff. Heck, I still have the same sofa I bought in 1984 for $135!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House