U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,192,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I will try and get some pictures today to help clarify what I am seeing....

I have never heard of a local offical inspector coming out to inspect a residential roof installation? We have put on two roofs, in two different states - and that was never a requirement.

A home inspector would cost me at least $400! We have been in this house for a year and a half - so it's been inspected recently, and nothing came back about problems with the roof, or any installation of trusses, etc.

If it's just stress/weight on a particular area - is that an easy fix?

My husbands calling the roofing guy today...
Some areas of the country it is required to have local building inspectors inspect repairs, especially if a permit were involved.

Just a suggestion on the home inspector. Do you have a contractor friend who may be able to come over and take a look? If nothing else, most all contractors offer free bids, call a couple, have them tell you what it will cost to fix what you are seeing and ask them what they think caused it.

If it was caused by stress, it was caused during the installation of your new roof more than likely. Dropping of shingle bundles on roof, piling too many in one area, and the extra weight of the crew on the roof all at the sametime. So you probably don't have a stress problem to fix.

Hope you post up what the roofing contractor says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 PM

11,755 posts, read 27,341,127 times
In Florida, enforcement of the Dade County windstorm codes kicked a large number of gypsy "roofers" out of the state. There are a lot of people working on roofs that are in it for the fast bucks, especially in areas without any code enforcement. I've got no problem with using a company that isn't inspected - IF they've been around for a few years, have references, and don't mind me watching what they are doing. I've got a general idea of what works and what doesn't.

When I had my roof replaced in Florida, the code inspector refused to pass the roof until the edge shingles all had the required attachments. I was happy that he did, because during Wilma, we only lost three edge shingles when neighbors lost entire roofs. FWIW, the inspector was a history buff and we spent an entertaining hour discussing Jefferson and the politics of the Confederation and the Constitution. After Wilma, those who were in line for roof inspection were out of luck; the guy who inspected mine had retired, and the new ones were anol retentive about such things as the homeowner having the inspection ladder tied off to the roof to keep it from slipping or tilting.

I agree that a roofing nailer shouldn't pop nails through the decking. If it did, and it was a reroof, the possibility is there that the decking was too thin, that the old decking was damaged, that tabs weren't used, etc.. That is why if I saw the point of a roofing nail coming through a ceiling I would be more than a little upset.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,833,203 times
Quote:
I will try and get some pictures today to help clarify what I am seeing....

I have never heard of a local offical inspector coming out to inspect a residential roof installation? We have put on two roofs, in two different states - and that was never a requirement.

A home inspector would cost me at least $400! We have been in this house for a year and a half - so it's been inspected recently, and nothing came back about problems with the roof, or any installation of trusses, etc.

If it's just stress/weight on a particular area - is that an easy fix?

My husbands calling the roofing guy today...
All new roofs in MN require an inspection by the city or county inspector. It is possible you had one done on your previous roofs and just didn't know it. They don't always knock on the door and let you know they are there.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,951,597 times
Nope, no inspector. I am sure of it. This was, most recently, in TX and, in late 2006, WA.

Anyway, the roofing guy said what was mentioned above. Thanks MikeJaquish! They are the drywall screws, that popped off the ceiling when the air nail gun caused stress to the area. Too much weight, too much pressure - something.

They are coming back to spackle later this week.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 16,694,159 times
Default Ah...... rats

Ah, Poo it is just drywall screw pops. Where are the nails we were promised?

I was dying to see how those gypsy guys could get nails to come thru that ceiling. Plus we don't get no inspector fella with all the drama that always brings.

Just some sweating guy dropping bundles and creating stress.

Glad it all worked out.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 27,341,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Ah, Poo it is just drywall screw pops. Where are the nails we were promised?

I was dying to see how those gypsy guys could get nails to come thru that ceiling. Plus we don't get no inspector fella with all the drama that always brings.

Just some sweating guy dropping bundles and creating stress.

Glad it all worked out.
Yeah, me too. Awww I'm disappointed. I woulda loved to have seen pics of that myself. Drywall screws. pfft! Not worth mentioning. Now if the drywall had fallen off the ceiling...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM

19,703 posts, read 31,516,722 times
Quote:
Nope, no inspector. I am sure of it. This was, most recently, in TX and, in late 2006, WA.

Anyway, the roofing guy said what was mentioned above. Thanks MikeJaquish! They are the drywall screws, that popped off the ceiling when the air nail gun caused stress to the area. Too much weight, too much pressure - something.

They are coming back to spackle later this week.
OOOOOOOOOOOh.... I feel so smart!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 AM

43,195 posts, read 47,082,143 times
Texas has windstorm inspection by the stae on all roofs required by law. many on the side roofers do not have thsi done because there is a inspection fee and of course requiremants on inspection. Coulkd cause insurance problems with a claim later tho.The state sends you a certficate of the inspection for your insurance file.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,951,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Texas has windstorm inspection by the stae on all roofs required by law. many on the side roofers do not have thsi done because there is a inspection fee and of course requiremants on inspection. Coulkd cause insurance problems with a claim later tho.The state sends you a certficate of the inspection for your insurance file.

Funny, because my neighbors, and my sister all had no clue what I am talking about when I asked this. They all are getting their roofs done right now too, and many have done roofs in the past.

When our insurance company came out to inspect after the last storm, they did not ask for any certificate, or previous inspection information - nor did we provide that, or have it provided to us, when we purchased (and insured) almost 2 yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House