Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,029,351 times

Advertisements

We just had a new roof put on, by a company.

We just noticed that, in both our children's rooms (on the top floor), there are multiple areas where nails have apparently come through the ceiling, during installation.

I am assuming this is bad. Probably really bad?

Can anyone give me more information? What this means? Is it an easy fix? Etc?

Last edited by jwb123; 06-24-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:17 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,686,599 times
Default We really don't have a clue.......

Duh, nails come thru the roof deck on most types of roofing. You see it in most attics.

You seem to be saying, you have a roof that has some type of roofing over top a roof deck but nothing else. No under roof air flow system, no type of internal insulation, no type of inner interior ceiling, no nothing but the boards or whatever that makes up the roof deck. That is what you see on the interior of the house.

Yep, if you did not hit the roof rafters directly good chances you will see some nails. If it did not splinter too bad, probably can just clip them off. Usually you want nails longer than just the roof decking thickness for holding power.

I would think the bigger problem might be in heating / cooling. Don't really understand how you can build such a roof unless it is one of those sprayed foam deals where the insulation is on the outside. Or if you have a type of foam panel on the roof and they did not hit the rafters when they should have. Sounds like a non-standard type roof and they messed up.

Few pixs normally help to get a better idea. Was this during new construction or during some type of roof replacement? In general it is not good to clip nails that penetrate boards. Weakens its holding force. This one sounds like a type of deal where nails went astray.

You seem to be saying I got this nail that is a problem but neglected to fill in any of the type of details that would have it all make any sense to someone else.

The difficulity of fixing generally depends on the type of general damage beyond just the nail penetration that might have been caused. Hopefully not a lot of splintering.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Um. ok.

Well, yes, the nail went into the roof and through the ceiling of my children's bedrooms. So much so that there are visable holes, with apparently nails, coming through the ceiling, in several areas. You can see them from inside their rooms - I have not yet looked in the attic to see what's going on in there.

It's a standard, composite roof. I do have vaulted ceilings, and higher than average ceilings. This is not new construction, it was a roof replacement.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Default Still color me confused........

I don't understand how the nails got thru the interior ceilings to be visible.

How many are they? Thinking they could be the nails used to hold roof jacks instead of normal roofing nails. Roof jacks are the lil critters that are temporary installed to allow them to put planks up to get access / stand to put on standard shingles.

When they remove the jacks / planks, they just pound the nails flush, they are not pulled out, they serve no further function, are not needed, once the jacks are removed, just left in place. They will be hidden under the shingle flap. Those are typically a standard nail, maybe 3" or so in length. If your nails are from the jacks, they probably can be removed by carefully pounding / locating / lifting the shingle flap and pulling them out.

But still there typically is so much clearance in the depth of the roof rafters that no nails surfaced nailed into a roof ever can show in an interior ceiling. Is the part that has me confused. Still sounds like somehow, this is a single thickness roof deck whose underside is exposed as a ceiling below.

Are you saying something also got nailed into areas of the attic on what would be the attic floor? Still is not making much sense. If these are the nails from installing roof jacks, they will be in a tight grouping of two or three together. Are your nails close together in almost a lil triangle shaped pattern.

Under normal circumstances this does not happen, can not happen on a normal type roof.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 days ago)

43,081 posts, read 76,642,306 times
Sounds to me like sheetrock nailheads showing after sheetrock compound popped off, as if the roofers slammed down the bundles of shingles and rattled the rafters.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 AM

23,541 posts, read 70,012,236 times
More likely the power nailer was set on a strong enough setting that when the rafters were missed, the nails just kept on going. I would be sorely p-ssed, to the point of having the roof ripped off and redone. There is no excuse for such a problem. If the nails went through the entire decking, and then the sheet rock, I can almost bet that the nailheads went through the tabs and partway into the decking, and won't hold the roof on during a windstorm.

This is one of those cases where I would get the local zoning inspector over to take a look, and then sue.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 AM

Default Yeah, that could make sense....... Duh, now what are we really seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sounds to me like sheetrock nailheads showing after sheetrock compound popped off, as if the roofers slammed down the bundles of shingles and rattled the rafters.
Yep, that would sort of make sense. Common to have sheetrock nail or screw pops if you pound or flex the roof structure very hard. Especially common in truss type frame where things can really flex with light 2 x 4 construction.

But what are we actually seeing. The tips of nails, as in like sharp pointy things or the heads of nails / screws?

The mystery continues.

Duh, in order to get an actual sharp pointy nail down into an interior ceiling takes a very long nail, like something measured in feet, in most roof designs. Either that or the nails got blown completely thru the roof and buried in like a bullet.

We still need them pics.

If it really is sheetrock screw pops then it is a pretty easy fix. Lil mud touch up / fill and some very expensive paint work.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,538,154 times
I can't imagine its nails from the roof installation either. As far as setting a coil nailer high enough to shoot nails through the shingle, decking, & and still through the sheetrock. I really don't think it can be done, any how not with any nailers I use and air compressors. Even if it could, it would blow the seals out of the nail gun within a few nails.

I go with the second thoughts, scissor trusses used in vaulted ceiling construction will flex some, especially when a roof job is being done, weight gets consentrated in areas putting extra stress there. Sounds like you have sheetrock nails/screws that have popped is all. Not sure this can be put back on the contractor or not. Would depend if you can show proof, pictures, that he stock piled shingles in one area and did not spread them out across the roof or peak them.

If might be a good idea just to be safe to have an independent home inspector come check your roof for proper installation. Or like what was said before if you have a local city inspector. Most areas require inspection by local officials, was this required with your roof? If so and the inspector passed it, I don't believe I would be calling him back to inspect.

Not to knock government inspectors, but some of them have no idea which end of nail to hit. I would go with a good home inspector, check with a local realtor for recomendations. Another thing you can try, is call a rep from the shingle manufacturer and see if they will inspect it.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM

I will try and get some pictures today to help clarify what I am seeing....

I have never heard of a local offical inspector coming out to inspect a residential roof installation? We have put on two roofs, in two different states - and that was never a requirement.

A home inspector would cost me at least $400! We have been in this house for a year and a half - so it's been inspected recently, and nothing came back about problems with the roof, or any installation of trusses, etc.

If it's just stress/weight on a particular area - is that an easy fix?

My husbands calling the roofing guy today...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Default It is really pretty simple......

Do these nails have sharp pointy ends and are they actually sticking down below the ceiling surface? Or do they seem to be in a lil hole with just the plaster blown out? You see something about the size of a nail head in there. Hard and flat but not pointy.

A highly trained inspector might take about 1/2 hour to determine the make and model number of the offending object. I don't know about getting the government involved. Some poor roofer fellow might wind up going to jail because he dropped one to many bundles of shingles too hard. Probably sweating and maybe had one or two many soda pops the night before. Might have slipped out of his paws in a moment of reflection.

A few very progressive places require permits and inspections to do re-roof jobs. They claim it is for worker safety but it is really just that government desire for more money. Lord knows what might happen if they should find a screw pop. Might have to fill out more paper in triplicate. Them government boys do love their paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House