U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 46,512 times

Advertisements

Hi all! This is the first time I am posting in this thread but I am so glad that I found it.

I am very close to closing on a house that I don't love. This will be our first home and I already know that it will not be my "forever" home. Knowing that I don't plan to stay in this house, is it okay to treat this as a business transaction? My husband on the other hand really likes the house and I'm thinking that should be enough to make up for my lack of love for the house. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

One of my biggest problems is that there is dark panelling EVERYWHERE! The only rooms that don't have the panelling if I remember it correctly are the kitchen, living room, mudrooms, and bathrooms. All the bedrooms have panelling as well as the family room and dining room.

Everyone seems to feel that we are getting the house for a good price but I'm not sure how much work/money is involved with finding solutions to panelling. I think my biggest concern is that when I'm ready to move I won't be able to find a buyer because of all the panelling.

I would greatly appreciate it if you tell me how you felt about your house or other feedback on the matter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 AM

2,588 posts, read 4,850,315 times
My first house was a 100-year-old home that was converted (and decorated) into a duplex in the late 60s. There was no love for it, but we felt it was a great investment and moved in, knowing we'd have to make a lot of changes. Of course, we bought it to be a rental and moved ourselves out just as soon as we could. Subsequent homes were purchased with the knowledge they also wouldn't be "forever" homes. We love our current house, but it's not going to be our "forever" home either.

Now, paneling is atrocious, I agree. But, a temporary fix is to paint it. Also, drywall and paint are relatively cheap, so replacing it won't be astronomically expensive. We've done that before. But, it's hard work and drywall was MUCH heavier than I expected. I was pregnant at the time, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the hard work, cuz I got a waiver. Lucky me. In short, if the house is a deal, I wouldn't be scared off by wood paneling.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,768,229 times
loved ours and still do as we are currently living in it. Also, we didn't intend ours to be our forever home either, but since we're in 70k in renovations and we love it more and more and have made it our own more and more - its likely we will probably stay. Good size, good neighborhood, great lot. The only think i wish it had was a master bath, but thats really the only thing its lacking. We also had wood paneling and removed it. Thats always an option for you if thats the one thing you really don't like about it.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,482,893 times
As big of an investment both financially and in time involved I have to love it to make the effort. Purcased my first house and will be moving in soon. I love it and look forward to making it mine. Who's to say I won't want to move in ten or twenty years or that I won't fall in love with something new in the future. I just can't see making all that effort on something you aren't positively giddy to come home to everyday.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,949,067 times
I can definitely relate. I hated my house because of cosmetic issues but loved the layout, neighborhood, and price so I was willing to live with the ugliness for a little bit. Then, when I removed the hideous vinyl tile in my kitchen intending to install slate floors, I discovered wonderful hardwood floors that I had no idea were there. Sure, they needed to be refinished but they were in great condition. So, you never know what surprises are hiding underneath the ugliness. You just may have perfectly good drywall under the panelling. You may hate it now, but try to have fun with turning it into the home you love. That's what worked for me and I hope this will be my forever home.

Then again, I happen to love remodeling so even if the house was perfect, I'm sure something would have gotten changed. Sorry if that didn't help

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,768,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
You just may have perfectly good drywall under the panelling. You may hate it now, but try to have fun with turning it into the home you love. That's what worked for me and I hope this will be my forever home.
This is what happened to us! Pulled off the paneling to discover drywall underneath! Needed tape and mud, but they hadn't glued the paneling to it so it was in great condition.

Hopefully the location or layout of the house are good and once you work around the cosmetics maybe it won't be so bad. We were able to look beyond all the work and see that we had a quality home underneath it all - hardwoods under carpet, 6-panel solid doors, good layout, good sized rooms, etc, etc...

Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
Once you put your stamp on it and make it "home" you will feel differently. Maybe it's just a frog that needs a kiss!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,717,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Once you put your stamp on it and make it "home" you will feel differently. Maybe it's just a frog that needs a kiss!!!!

I'm in jail...but I like that "frog that needs a kiss!!!"

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,187,808 times
I didn't love my first place-a small condo but knew it was temporary. I loved our second home but hated the location-God took care of that by us relocating for my husbands job. Hated the new construction townhome we then built but my husband loved it so I gave in. Again moved due to relocation.
Now we are in yet another home. Neither one of us love it as it cost over $500K and still isn't upgraded, but that is how this area is. Driving me mad the little things we need to do to it to make us LOVE it, but they are costly items. I do, however, love the layout.
My point is...you can make it your own but it will take time and money. Take it year by year and cross projects off of your list. Once you feel you have really made it your own, I will bet that you will love it! Dark paneling is ugly in my opinion so that would be the first thing I would tackle on the list. If we couldn't afford to take it down, then I would paint it white or something. Do some small things right away that will make it feel more welcoming to you. Hang in there...I think A LOT of people have that feeling when they buy a home.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviine View Post
Everyone seems to feel that we are getting the house for a good price but I'm not sure how much work/money is involved with finding solutions to panelling. I think my biggest concern is that when I'm ready to move I won't be able to find a buyer because of all the panelling.

I would greatly appreciate it if you tell me how you felt about your house or other feedback on the matter.
You can always find a buyer, the problem is finding a buyer who will pay what you want to sell it for.

My first house (which, incedentally I still live in) had this terrible veneer paneling throughout the den, kitchen, and dining room. I'm not talking about tongue-and-groove paneling, I mean sheets of plywood with a wood-grain veneer that was flaking off. It was hideous and my wife and I both hated it, but it was part of the reason we were able to get a great deal on the house. I did the demo, which was certainly a lot of work and revealed some bigger problems that superficial inspections didn't catch (be prepared to see something you don't like if you expose the studs), and we contracted out the sheetrock installation. The transformation was incredible and an investment of about $3000 probably added $15K to the value of the home.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you like the floorplan and the structure is sound, you can make the house into something you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or