U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,447,788 times

Advertisements

Can a female who has never tiled before do a nice job of replacing
bathroom floor and tub surround tiles??
I don't mind learning and getting messy but if it will look
bad when done I might as well hire someone.
We are tight on money but we have wet subflooring around tub
and UGLY !! old tiles so it all needs to be ripped out.

Does anyone have a ballpark of how much would it cost for labor to redo subfloor & tile a 6x10 bathroom and wall around tub???
The 6x10 includes a tub and vanity so the floor is only about 10 x 4.

We can remove toilet and replace or do some of the work that would reduce costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Tiling isn't very hard, just tedious and time consuming. If you pay someone like I did, don't watch. You'll kick yourself for not DIY. You just need a tile cutter, a notched trowel, tiles, grout, spacers, and a book about tiling to be able to do just as good a job as a pro. The only difference is that the pro will do it in a quarter of the time.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM

306 posts, read 621,400 times
I tiled my kitchen floor by myself. It had old vinyl floor so I had to tear that out first. Then I put down the concrete board (I'm not sure if that's what it's called), layed the tile and did the grout. I had a friend who cut the tiles that needed to be cut but other than that it was all me and I have to say it turned out great! It's tedious but so worth it to DIY and save that $$$. I got a how to tile book from Home Depot which was very helpful. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 PM

4,628 posts, read 5,978,327 times
I went to a class at our local Lowes Building Supply Store....free, and only a one hour class, 2 years ago. I tiled our bathroom floor, was a little slow, but it really looks great! Also, I've been to Lowes wall paper hanging class, and did a alot of that in our 100+ year old house. The sky's the limit! I love doing all of that stuff myself. It's much cheaper, and quite rewarding. I would recommend one of those free classes, though. The visual really helps me.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
I've seen DIY tilework that looks better than some "professionals" work, and I've seen some that's an absolute abomination. If you're willing to take your time and you're relatively handy, you should be able to do just fine with the tiling. The subfloor repair, on the other hand may be a walk in the park, or it could be a major undertaking- alot depends on which way the joists run and how far under the tub the subfloor needs to be replaced.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM

219 posts, read 375,812 times
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that a lot depends on the current subfloor. I took on a DIY tile job in the bathroom of our 80 year old home and quickly learned what a mortar bed is. The demolition was an absolute nightmare. Then you'll need to spend some time to get the wood support work done correctly. You may or may not need to do some plumbing work as well.

Laying the new tile is the easy part. Good luck with the rest. You will get a great deal of satisfaction when you get it finished. Just be patient and don't get in a hurry.

Michael

Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Bobs right again. I too seen some real disasters and some real good DIY jobs.

I am always on here telling people to steer clear of Home Depot because they are such crooks charging list price for everything. I also constantly advise people not to bother asking Home Depots mimimum wage clerks any tech questions because they know nothing. Nothing at all.

But Home Depot always runs FREE how to clinics on many different areas of home improvement. When the classes are complete they give every graduate a 10% off coupon for anything in the store. These clinics are run buy some one who knows what they are talking about. They are not the minimum wage clerks I speak of.

I have no problem telling people to try tiling themselves but the sub floor? That is beyond any DIYer. I do not recomend trying it.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
a bath is small- you might try it- or pay about 1500 for help?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,447,788 times
Thanks everyone!!
I love the idea of taking a class at the hardware store.
My husband thinks the rotten subfloor will extend under the tub
and therefore the tub will need to be removed to put new subfloor under it.
Maybe I could pay someone to do the subfloor part and then I'll do the tiling.
I am about to return to work and if doing this slows down that process
then it might pay to have someone do it for me .
I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM

2,240 posts, read 7,029,034 times
We just paid to have our half bath done...about a 5X6 room. Although there are some spots I feel I could have done better, I in no way wanted to demo the old stuff and prepare the floor and such. The actual laying of the tile and grouting disin't look that hard, but it was labor intensive. We are having some issues with our grout not being perfect and a few funny cuts, but all in all I am glad we hired someone to do it than doing it ourselves. At least when you hire they hopefully fix their mistakes rather than DIY and having to dix it DIY if you screw it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House