Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times

Advertisements

I don't like stainless. We are currently building a house and I chose black. I have an 8 year old so it would be horrible to keep them clean! And I just don't think it looks that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't get the gushing over stainless. It doesn't help the appliance perform any better, does it?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
I do not like the look of stainless appliances, I went with all black appliances last year when my home was built. IMO, I think stainless will die out eventually...

Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Don't like SS applicances at all--looks like a lab...my Almond-colored appliances suit me fine--the whole kitchen has light-colored cabinets and a light floor and I like the brightness of it all--and I guess I'm really old-fashioned, but I also have formica counter-tops--but would prefer cement tinted a warm terra-cotta color or tile--not a big marble or granite fan, either. Odd, aren't I?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
In a little while all this stainless will look as dated and ridiculous as that avacado and harvest gold from the 70s does.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Hate the stainless as well. Just did a total remodel of the kitchen and went with all black for all appliances - great choice, looks rich and not industrial.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
but I also have formica counter-tops--but would prefer cement tinted a warm terra-cotta color or tile--not a big marble or granite fan, either. Odd, aren't I?
Not at all ... I love tile countertops.

When I redo my kitchen -- hopefully next winter -- my countertops are going to be red. I've always wanted a red, black and white 50s retro kitchen, and now's my chance.

And the appliances will be black.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Love the red, black and white color scheme--cheerful and fun--and I can just see you with your Oster Milk Shake blender whipping up a few malts...invite me over? I'll make tuna melts...!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardener View Post
We also hate stainless and it took us a while to find a good alternative. If you like vintage/ farmhouse check out AGA. Very high quality and very not stainless. You can get good prices through direct buy on them.
Farmhouse is the latest trend right now. I do like the look. Very warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I used to hate stainless (looked too industrial, as others have said) and wanted black appliances for our next house (if this one will ever sale), but now it's grown on me and I actually like it.
Ditto.
I did not want stainless but it came with the house and it's okay.
In terms of caring for it, it is certainly not the big hardship I was led to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Sorry, what's AGA?
AGA

AGA has been around for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't get the gushing over stainless. It doesn't help the appliance perform any better, does it?
No, it doesn't. Many people who are into design care less about function than they do about form.
I care about both. A friend has this composite sink that I really like.
But I've got the stainless so there's no use moaning about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In a little while all this stainless will look as dated and ridiculous as that avacado and harvest gold from the 70s does.
heh
They've been saying that about stainless (and granite!) for awhile now.
Stainless will never go out of style in professional kitchens. I certainly agree that it's not for everyone.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
I hate stainless too. I clean other peeps houses and Ive learned from experience what I DONT want in my house.

Count me in with the odd group. I dont care for all that new fangled stuff. !950 s a little new for my 1850 house but I wouldnt mind a 1950's kitchen if it didnt involve pink. Right now my kitchen is more 1920. Red and cream and some green. Lots of old adv. tins and signs and old kitchen stuff I have formica counters and beadboard backsplash. If I had the money I would either do wood counters or soapstone or maybe red linoleum with the metal edge. I just got done ripping up all the subfloor etc and refinishinfg the original wood floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House