Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

I like stainless. I dont think its hard to clean at all. Its easy to clean and lasts long (its why they put in comm kitchens) They make a stainless steel cleaners/polish in one spray can. Look for it.
BUT

I think it looks really out of place when the home is country or old fashioned.

My dream kitchen would be all white decor with stainless steel fridge, white stove and dishwasher to blend with cabinets. I dont like black because it doesnt show dirt and smudges well. I am the type that wipes the whole kitchen down everynight. I know I would miss stuff on a black stove/fridge.

If I got my dream victorian though....There is this company that makes custom colored vintage looking stoves. I saw a red on in an advertisement...I LOVED IT. I would go with a red and cream kitchen then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
I like my stainless steel, but it also fits in with the style of kitchen I have. Like pitt_transplant I love the fact that I can see the dirt/smudges easily as it makes sanitzing the appliances a lot easier. I've found that Windex multi-surface cleaner works like a charm.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
I like my kitchens to be warm and welcoming. The trend toward dark woods, ornate cabinets, heavy dark stone countertops and stainless steel appliances makes me think that the kitchen isn't meant to be a place for a family to gather and have fun cooking a meal. This formality just doesn't fit with what I think a kitchen should be.

I'm also frugal, so I'll choose the appliance in my price range that is exactly the same but $100 less because it isn't shiny.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Don't like the looks and anyway most manufacturers use cheap grades of stainless. Most folks that buy these things buy them on a budget, and in reality they could purchase a better functioning and higher quality appliance if they chose not to go with stainless. It's kind of bass-ackwards thinking if you ask me.

Looks don't impress me in the kitchen. Quality and function do. Same goes for kitchen gadgets and other doo-dads. You can own the fanciest pots and pans, but if you can't cook, what's the difference?

I'll stick to functioning appliances and my cast iron skillets, thanks.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I like my kitchens to be warm and welcoming. The trend toward dark woods, ornate cabinets, heavy dark stone countertops and stainless steel appliances makes me think that the kitchen isn't meant to be a place for a family to gather and have fun cooking a meal. This formality just doesn't fit with what I think a kitchen should be.

I'm also frugal, so I'll choose the appliance in my price range that is exactly the same but $100 less because it isn't shiny.

agreed - with what some spend on remodeling I think some kitchens people go for that showpiece of the house rather than a functional, inviting space.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
I agree with you on stainless - I prefer black as well. I do however love dark rich woods for cabinetry. And I also love granite, for looks and use. Formica is just so cheap and cheesy looking.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I also hate stainless because of the smugging. Hwever the new titanium finish in stainless does not do this.Granite seems to be lossing its luster as more is know about the contasminates in much of it.There is a new report on this in consumer reports.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
Those new titanium finishes are usually just paint that looks like metal.
As far as stainless goes, you can have it. I think it looks to industrial and makes it harder to clean. I much prefer the look of sleek black appliances. I do love to cook though, if I could ever afford a Wolf range, then I would welcome the stainless on that appliance alone.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 PM

87 posts, read 315,686 times
We've had stainless in our last 2 homes (and the one we're living in now until we move into the new one). We liked them at the time for the commercial kitchen look. But now we're really sick of them and going with all black at the new home (where we are updating the kitchen). I think more and more people feel this way ... Jenn-Air has a new black fridge model and one in oiled bronze with a sleek look, less industrial/commercial. I think more and more manufacturers will branch out to other finishes/colors. The new black from Jenn-Air has a glassy finish, I think it would look nice in white or other colors too. Just a few years ago, I thought I would like stainless indefinitely ... not so.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,887 times
Mom2TwoBoys - I was also thinking about Jenn-Air's Oiled Bronze finish. It's gorgeous! I saw it and drooled.

I'm tired of the stainless steel finish. It's attractive but it's also very 'now' and I'm wanting something fresh and different. I love how La Cornue and AGA offers their appliances in vibrant, ecclectic colors. Well, yeah it's expensive but it's also so...COOL.

http://lechefkitchendesigns.com/images/cornufe110_bleu_montage.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House