U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM

69 posts, read 770,289 times
Default Rekey Locks - Help

We are in the process of rekeying our locks, and could really use some help on the best and most cost effective way to do this.

All door locks are Schlage. There is one main entry door and 2 garage entry doors. We have a key for the front door, but no keys for the 2 garage doors (they aren't the same key size as the front door).

What's the best way to go? Is it possible to replace the cores?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM

13,504 posts, read 24,628,462 times
For the cost of a locksmith visit you can probably buy and install new locks yourself.

You can also take your locks to a locksmith and have them re-keyed.

I bought a pin and tumbler re-keying set because I own and manage rentals... it probably wouldn't be cost effective for you to do that.

To answer your original question... it depends of the style of lock. Schlage offers locks that can accept different key cores and also ones that can't.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:08 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,942,012 times
As said above, you've got two choices- replace the whole lock or call a locksmith. If you had all of the keys, you could replace just the cores, but without them you're options are limited.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM

69 posts, read 770,289 times
Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM

3,349 posts, read 9,881,171 times
A locksmith could come to the house and make keys for the exsisting locks and make all the locks one key, so that one key will work all the locks. I have it done on rentals all the time. It's cheaper than replacing the locks, and less aggravating.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 PM

982 posts, read 2,498,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzy View Post
We are in the process of rekeying our locks, and could really use some help on the best and most cost effective way to do this.

All door locks are Schlage. There is one main entry door and 2 garage entry doors. We have a key for the front door, but no keys for the 2 garage doors (they aren't the same key size as the front door).

What's the best way to go? Is it possible to replace the cores?

Thanks for any help!
Does the Schlage key fit in it? If not your best bet is to replace the locks. If it does, Schlage is one of the most challenging (but fun) locks to rekey. When it comes to getting to the tumblers, they are more difficult than a kwikset/titan. Contact a locksmith and find out how much they would charge to do what you need. There may be a chance that buying new locks may be cheaper. If you buy all new locks, there is a code on the back or bottom of the package that have matching letters/numbers. Make sure all of them are the same and you have all your locks matching.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM

8,310 posts, read 20,710,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzy View Post
Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
If you have an afternoon, you can remove all the locks and take them to home depot or lowes. They will key all of the locks to the same key for about $60.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 176,699 times
The key is whether the locks are single or double cylinder. Single-cyl. locks have a turn-knob on the interior; doubles have a key on the interior, so they are twice the work. You will pay for the service call ($40 to $45 in my area) plus $10 per cylinder. I think this is a reasonable price to pay a professional. In my situation, it was only $90 to rekey three singles and one double cylinder lock.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
I rekey mine as well, have a rekeying kit.

If you end up buying new locks they are often sold for the front door a lockset and deadbolt. I have seen some larger sets. You can go thru their locks on the wall and usually match up enough for the job. Ask to see more from the back (or above in Home Depots case).

Here is the hint. If you have to have a new one rekeyed to match because there was not enough. Have them rekey it before purchasing, the rekeying price doubles after you purchase.

You might want to consider having the garage keyed differently. I hate having a pocket full of keys, but sometimes we have guests who I do not really want in the garage.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 PM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
Lowes does it for $5.00 here and if you buy a new lock they do it free to any key you want at time of purchase. I just bought a new deadbolt for side garaqge door and had it keyed same has house deabolts two days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House